Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Chinese SKS question...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    BTW, the 922r thing is stoooooooooopid. I follow the law, but gawd dang that is just one of the dumbest things ever.
    No kidding. The more you find out about it, the more it sounds like the dumb guy who started painting the floor of a room and finds himself in a corner with no way out. Some people think it's intentionally vague so they have a reason to bother you, but it's entirely possible that they just wrote a stupid law. I've never heard anybody hassled about it though, yet.
    chicharrones likes this.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    No kidding. The more you find out about it, the more it sounds like the dumb guy who started painting the floor of a room and finds himself in a corner with no way out. Some people think it's intentionally vague so they have a reason to bother you, but it's entirely possible that they just wrote a stupid law. I've never heard anybody hassled about it though, yet.
    I haven't either just if you plan to use a firearm for self defense (which an SKS might be overkill for anyhow) I'd make damn sure it's legal. I've found stuff like AK's I stick so much crap on them they just are 922r but as I look at the SKS, they are abit harder to make complaint. I did notice tapco has a SKS compliant kit out that basically has what you need to be legal. TAPCO SKS Compliance Kit - Spike Bayonet - Stocks - AK Variants - Element Arms I think where the chinese rifles might need one less part, at least on mine I just got last weekend, is it doesn't have any kind of flash hider on the end, now I never had an SKS before so take that with a grain of salt. If I got one that's a link to the one I'd need, but I am leaning to just leaving mine original and not shooting it cause I'll be honest (and I have to get pics up this weekend)... I haven't seen an SKS in as good shape as mine. I got it off a buddy who got it from a older gentelman who I guess bought it something like 20 years ago and put it into a safe and never shot it. All the numbers match and this thing doesn't have a mark on it. Whats weird is all it has are an arsenal marking (the little triangle) and a made in china by norinko on the left side of the receiver. Didn't they usually have more markings then that?
    Last edited by scrabtree6; 04-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    BTW, the 922r thing is stoooooooooopid. I follow the law, but gawd dang that is just one of the dumbest things ever.
    What really shows how dumb it is is it's possable to build an AK up, very easy infact... that with a tapco mag is legal, pop in a bulgarian and your a felon =P

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Oh, I totally agree!

Reading the law is a nightmare, it's totally absurd.
    HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN ! ... or more.
    Taurus Model 24/7-OSS-DS45B (Mfg. 2010)
    Taurus Model 66 (2-660035) .357 Satin Nickel (Mfg. 1992)
    Taurus Model 85 (HG-M85-B2) .38 Sp. Blue (Mfg. 1887)

American by birth. Texan by the grace of God!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2178 times
    The text here will answer your question in a detailed manner: Compliant Parts for SKS Rifles and What it Actually Means rifletech.com

Another good source of info: “Survivors” SKS FAQ

Some of the Chinese SKS's are becoming quite collectible, so you might want to save and grease all of the parts you intend to replace and make only changes that can be reversed. Supposedly, you can use High Capacity Magazines without making any changes by simply cutting off the Bayonet Lug. Have seen an ATF letter to that effect, but am not sure if that ruling is still current. Dremel Cut Off my early milled Chinese SKS's Bayonet Lug years ago for that reason and the fact that it could get caught on brush and although I have a fixed 20 round Chinese Magazine for it, I've never bothered to use anything but the original fixed 10 rounder.

As for the sanity of our current Regulations, which the ATFE arbitrarily makes, when did sanity or logic ever have anything to do about it? It's really about Control, not preventing Crime.
    Last edited by jwc007; 04-24-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scrabtree6 View Post
    I haven't seen an SKS in as good shape as mine. I got it off a buddy who got it from a older gentelman who I guess bought it something like 20 years ago and put it into a safe and never shot it. All the numbers match and this thing doesn't have a mark on it. Whats weird is all it has are an arsenal marking (the little triangle) and a made in china by norinko on the left side of the receiver. Didn't they usually have more markings then that?
    My SKS has on the left side of the receiver:
    Serial Number
    Arsenal Triangle
    SKS 7.62X39 CHINA
    NORINCO
    PTK INT'L ATL. GA.
    Last edited by chicharrones; 04-26-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: changed info

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    My SKS has on the left side of the receiver:
    Serial Number
    Arsenal Triangle
    SKS 7.62X39 CHINA
    NORINCO
    PTK INT'L ATL. GA.

Here's a ten year old photo of mine that I got new in 1993 (I still have it). It was my first firearm as an adult. All previous guns were my dad's.
    Attachment 26600
    Ok mine has all that just no import markings but yeah the one I have looks exactly like that except it has a spike bayonet. I thought the butt pad was aftermarket but maybe it's not. It's in that good of shape to. Maybe if I decide to bubba up an SKS I'll just get a beat up yugo the more I keep thinking about it.

Member #
    Liked
    240 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scrabtree6 View Post
    Ok mine has all that just no import markings but yeah the one I have looks exactly like that except it has a spike bayonet. I thought the butt pad was aftermarket but maybe it's not. It's in that good of shape to. Maybe if I decide to bubba up an SKS I'll just get a beat up yugo the more I keep thinking about it.
    I bought a New Old Stock Yugo in 2005. Paid $145. Try to find that deal nowdays.

I sold my guns because the Government says they are dangerous.

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    ...unless the market has completely dried up, you used to could buy "30 rd. SKS" magazines.

The were "not" quick detachable, but they were 30 rounders.

There was no "conversions" or "modifications" made to the gun for their use.

You removed the 10 round mag and attached the 30 rounder.
    I do recall 30 rd. mags but these mags had a horrible reputation. The Star mag I talked about was made by the Chinese and was identical to the original except for capacity and a bit longer.

Member #
    Liked
    1125 times

This is a picture of my Chinese SKS Para Trooper with a fixed 20rd. Mag

Since this photo I removed it and put the 10rd. back on and removed the scope....and mount

A pic of my Para trooper with my Russian..yep its sweet
    Last edited by Buckeye!; 04-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links