Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Mossberg model 702 "Plinkster"

11K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  evilavatar 
#1 ·
So I was walking through wallyworld earlier this evening and even thoigh I said I wasn't going to buy anymore "guns" for a bit , I couldn't pass this rifle up. I gave a whopping $88.00 before tax. It is a .22, but hey I love a .22.

Anyone here own one or shot one? How is it? Hopefully I will get it out this weekend and be back with a full report. I'll post pics then as well.

#2 ·
I picked one up last year to plink gophers in my yard. I haven't shot it too much but for the price it is not too bad. I plan on taking it to the range so my son can plink a little before too long. You got a much better price than I did.

Reactions: IDLE
#4 ·
Hopefully it was just the Marine in you. Nah, just tugging your chain as I am former Navy. I HOPE you are right. I ave been watching some reviews on youtube this morning and for the most part, it seems to be a decent rifle for the money. Much of what I expect out of a sub one hundred dollar rifle. As long as mine shoots reliably I will be happy. Sorry for your bad luck, but thanks for the input.

#5 ·
Hopefully it works out for you. But Mossberg is usually pretty good about standing behind their products if you have any trouble. BTW, just because it's cheap in price doesn't mean it isn't any good. I have a Savage Mark II .22 that I bought awhile back for $90, and it's a great little rifle.

#6 ·
Exactly why I chose to not pass it up at 88 bucks. Same rifle 157 at Buds.

#7 ·
I bought one a couple years ago on the word of my brother who's owned one for years. I can't even begin to think how many thousands of rounds I've put through mine and I shudder at my brother's round count. Our average Saturday shoot at my house involves a minimum of 300 rounds per each...minimum...usually in the neighborhood of a bulk pack each.

Mine's a bit more finicky than his is, but, I think I may have damaged my extractor when a skunk came in the yard and I hand fed a round into the chamber instead of using the mag. It seems to prefer the Federal and CCI ammo over the Remington bulk pack.

I threw an extra Barska scope I had onto mine and turned it into a tack driver at 80 yards.

Really the only downsides I've seen to the Plinkster is:

The availability of aftermarket parts, finding mags is next to impossible for a reasonable price
Inability to do a trigger job, every 702 I've handled has a heavy gritty trigger.
Getting that 10th round into the mag can be a thumb breaker

#8 ·
Wel thats good info right there.
That makes me feel relieved that you have handled more than 1 and they work well.
Yeah, I have been looking for mags, $12.00 from mossberg intl. Cheapest I have seen so far, I did see a 25 round magazine for this but it was out of stock, I will have to find what site it was and post it. 10 rounds seems a bit low for a semi auto .22. It is what it is though.
Thank youfor your input.

#9 ·
Yeah, I've seen the 25 rounders. Biggest problem is, they've been discontinued so a lot of sites still show 'em, but, they'll never come out of "out of inventory", and they're made out of molded plastic.

The reviews I've read on 'em had terrible things to say, base plates snapping off, getting hung up in the receiver, things like that. I usually take a couple bad reviews with a grain of salt, but, when they're that prevalent and almost always saying the same negative things I start to take 'em a little more seriously.

For $88 you got a helluva steal, I paid $145 for mine and that was because the previous owner had fired it 1 time so he could no longer sell it as new, they're still going for anywhere from $160-$185 around here, and that may or may not include a scope.

#10 ·
Great gun

I have one of these great .22 rifles made by Mossberg international,made in Brazil for Mossberg U.S.A.,it was $107.00 from Walmart,I've put over 500 rounds through it now with only one fte and that was a test to see if it would cycle CCI quiet bullets,"it won't" although it shoots them fine you have to manually cycle the bullet out,I can think of no other gun in this price range as good.This gun likes bullets that are high velocity and grooved as it has the micro groove rifling so the copper coated smooth sided bullets obviously don't get quite the spin although even they're very accurate out of this gun the grooved hyper velocity bullets are more accurate and shoot more flat,I like the Winchester superX and I've personally had great success with the Remington gold bulk ammo and Winchester target grade.The ammo this gun seems to not shoot as well are the Federal bulk and Blazer solid and it cycles them fine it's just not very good ammo,dirty,weak and inconsistent.I suggest this rifle to anyone even president Obama,hell maybe if he picked one up and learned to enjoy shooting he would stop the war on our gun rights and ease up on the taxation of our ammo.

#11 · (Edited)
Just got my kids one. Great little gun for what it is. I've been itching to try the new Winchester M-22 ammo in mine. The ammo is winchesters new ammo for the .22 semi auto market that is designed to be a cleaner firing and more consistent- walmart has it for 45 a 1000 round brick by me which is a little more than the winchester bulk but not much. I paid like 22 dollars for a 555 round winchester bulk 22 box to test it out. Only cheap thing about the plinkster so far is it only comes with one mag which means you either buy more or sit and reload. I got a cheap tasco scope and will shoot it more here in a few weeks or so. Only racked and shot a few rounds in it so far but it seems pretty good. (I.E. i was really hoping not to get blown up for the price and it shot consistent enough for small game and target shooting at 25-50 yards.) It does have a hollow plastic stock, but in talking with someone earlier it makes a great emergency gun if you want to store extra ammo or an emergency kit in the butt. This also makes the gun really light so it isn't hard to pack it around or anything. It also is not fitted with any pre-drilled sling mount holes, but the synthetic stock material is soft enough it is easy to do. The plastic will hold up find, but be careful of the screw length you put in as the stock is thin near the hand grip area.

The 715T is mossbergs tactical version of the same gun. From what I can tell they both are pretty consistent shooters. Cabelas and bass pro carry the 25 round mags for the gun last I checked. The 10 round ones are easy enough to come by and are about 15.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.