Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AR Piston Systems

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

AR Piston Systems

Does anyone have any experience with AR piston conversion systems like that made by Adams Arms (http://www.adamsarms.net/category.asp)? We all know that the AR has some reliability problems, but when I was in the Army we really didn't experience any issues. However, this conversion seems like it would eliminate a lot of the issues that the AR does have. When it comes to firearms, reliability is king, and this seems like it could do wonders for the very popular AR platform....

HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    Lets hope they were able to do way with carrier tilt.
    Last edited by jr612; 02-29-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: i can't spell

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jr612 View Post
    Lets hope they we able to do way with carrier tilt.
    Good point.

While in service, I never saw an issue that wasn't about poor maintenance. After 20 some years, when I started researching and shopping for an AR, I was torn between building a kit, and the Ruger SR556. In the end, I got a Colt LE6940. That said, some are 'true believers' in the piston system, and some may think it just adds other 'moving parts' subject to failure. I'm not convinced either way so far. If it works for you, great. Looking forward to a range report.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    I spent 13 years in the Army and I had a reliable M16 but it was a pain to clean especially when you did a lot of shooting. I bought the Ruger SR556 piston gun when it came out on 2009. Very reliable and clean running. I have several thousand rounds through it and no carrier tilt and no issues of any kind. I love it. Very easy to clean. It's a little front-heavy but it's a great shooter. If you're considering a piston system, I say get it. If you don't like it you can always sell it. I think once you get it you won't be getting rid of it.

Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    You trade a little bit of accuracy for more reliability and easier maintenance. It's up to you to decide if that's what you want.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2393 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverFan View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with AR piston conversion systems like that made by Adams Arms
    Yes! They work very very well! Several of my Rifle Club Members have them and love them!
    On my list of parts for my next AR build.

Here's a Video on how they work:
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Wow, thanks for the video! It really does make it look like it is a more efficient system! Definitely on the buy it list!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    7405 times
    Some of them work well some of them not so much.
    Outside of a few Colt M-16's that were bad out of the box, all of the failures I have seen or experienced had to do with poor maintenance or bad magazines.

Even in combat conditions, when properly lubed and maintained, the direct impingement AR15/M16 design is very reliable.

If you want a piston system, go for it.

Member #
    Liked
    3903 times
    If you plan on being in a sandy environment, like the southwest area from West Texas out to the California border, then go for it. But if you have an AR that shoots good and you keep it maintained properly, i'd say stick with what you have. Even though their have been slight upgrades to the design over the last 30-40 years, the gun has remained relatively the same. It's one time in the history of mankind that we can all say a Stoner got something right the first time. Lol
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    12288 times
    I had a direct gas impingement AR15 A2 for years, and while it did the job I never did like the fact that it bled off gas and injected it into the receiver. Didn't care for it in the army either - particularly with a blank adapter installed. Totally grunges up the innards. And I've seen them stop operating until more oil was liberally applied to the bolt carrier. I know how to clean weapons, but I'm not crazy about it. All things being equal I would prefer a weapon that doesn't shit where it eats. This time around I opted for a piston driven AR, and selected the Stag Arms model 8. Been a bit too cold to get it to the range yet, but that just gave me time to add some doodads and tune the trigger. I've got 500 rounds of 55 grain fmj's sitting patiently in their magazines just waiting for a nice warm day to break her in. In the mean time I have to satisfy myself with video...

"The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links