Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Sub 2K minor malfunction

16K views 57 replies 28 participants last post by  Texheim 
#1 ·
I bought a Kel Tec Sub 2000 40 cal in May of 2011 with the intention of it being my short range (sub 100 yard) hog gun. I swapped out the forend with a higher quality one that would allow me to mount optics and maintain the ability to fold the gun; this is what I wound up with:

Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger

I've put about 700 round thru this baby and it's very accurate and was reliable.

Yesterday I ran across a hog and from about 30 yards, put a bead on his, turned out to be a her, shoulder and squeezed off a round right on target. I re-assed the situation and went to make a follow up shot and all of a sudden I was holding 2 pieces of carbine:

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Revolver

Yeah, I'm fine and I was shooting Winchester white box 180 grain factory ammo and the first shot I fired didn't have any feeding or ejecting issues.
I'm lucky and needless to say I drank plenty of single malt last night simply celebrating life.

Auto part

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Machine gun

Auto part

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ouch.
Thanks for the report.
The sub-2000 has been on my wish list for a long time. I will be reassessing that.
Could you give more details about exactly what failed? Thanks.
I mean I can see that the casting(?) failed, but I'm not familiar with the gun. Does the part that failed have to do with the folding? Or is it just a solid part of the receiver?
Kel-Tec does have a good warranty, so I'm sure they'll fix it. But I bet you have a hard time shooting it again!

Glad you're OK.

Reactions: unbrokenfall
#4 ·
The solid part failed, not the folding mechanism and in the pictures and more clearly in person the break is very smooth not rough. And like I said I wasn't using re-loaded or "hot" rounds. It's surreal because when it happened I turned around and the first words out of my mouth to my father where "I'm lucky to be alive" he thought I was talking about a ricochet.

#6 ·
A smooth failure is definitely due to a defect in manufacture. The reason it's smooth is that there was a microscopic crack that allowed the two sides to work against each other and grind themselves smooth. So it is probably not indicative of an inherent weakness.

Reactions: Texheim
#5 ·
I bought it in May 2011 and still have the receipt but regardless I'm sure they'll replace it I just hop they pay shipping.

#8 · (Edited)
daymn don't you hate it when your holding something thats two parts that ain't supposed to be. Good thing it happened then and not if you needed it to defend your life, even though with a feral hog... I dunno... but I've heard that is pretty borderline. And after looking at those pics, apparently same with shooting a sub 2k by the way it looks. Now I'm not familiar with these rifle alot cept they split in the middle for storage where exactly did it give way?

mmmmm bacon.....

#9 ·
Auto part
Auto part

Here are the two pieces where the break occurred. We're chalking it up to defect in manufacturing and process at this point because the break is smooth and you can notice air pockets in the polymer so there wasn't an actually explosion or uncontrolled gas venting issue. Keltec customer service opens at 8am so I'll be calling them shortly.

#12 ·
Yeah. Bang for your Buck! The conclusion was they sent me a brand new gun with a new serial number and I traded it for an AR.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

Reactions: FreeInAZ and jwc007
#13 ·
Yeah. Bang for your Buck! The conclusion was they sent me a brand new gun with a new serial number and I traded it for an AR.

Thanks for the update.

I've never seen anything like that happen. Looks scary.

I was at the local gunshow last week and there was a Kel-Tek sub 2000 in .40 for sale at $770. No negotiating.

There was also a used HiPoint carbine in 9mm,all chromed up, for $550.

I'm interested in either one of those types of guns to fill a space in the gun safe but I think that I'll just have to wait a bit.

#15 ·
Not seen this happen with the 9mm models, just the 40's. I have a 9mm version and have had an ammo issue where the case blew out the bottom right over the feed ramp. It blew the magazine out and blew the safety button out too. It was sent to Kel-Tec just last Friday for inspection/repair. I'm not the original purchaser so I hope they don't really screw me when they fix it. The did ask for my DD-214 for some reason though. Military discount? Maybe...

#16 ·
I asked the service guy over the phone what they had done to it, after he told me that it had been sent back. He said let me look at the parts list and maybe I can infer what they did.......oh....... they rebuilt your entire gun......hmmmmmm.

#20 ·
What exactly do you mean by that?

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

#18 ·
Wow. Had one on my radar for years. Glad for you that they had parts on hand that allowed for a fix / rebuild. I have an image of the Sub 2K wing of the complex hanging with cobwebs!

#19 ·
JB Weld fixes all problems:D

#21 ·
Ive had a few opportunities to buy these, but the butt stock always feels to small for me. Other than being fold-able and hi-cap mags I dont see the $250 increase over Hi Point all that convincing. I have no experience with KT's warranty or customer service, but I doubt it could be any better than Hi Points.

#30 ·
Ha! When did he get banned!?! And yes he did have a ton of guns

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

#26 ·
So I know this thread is old but this is the first time I have seen it. Is this the second gun that exploded on you? If so, what did you do to warrant such "luck". I'm starting to think I should pray for you more. :)

#45 · (Edited)
Well - to be honest I own both, the sub2k (9mm Glock mag) version & the TS4095 & TS4595. The sub2k is a cool little carbine and has served me well. Do I shoot it more than the HP's? Not really. The HP's are built like tanks, and I don't worry about them getting "beat up" like I do the KT in the brush & rough & rowdy outdoors. And as others have mentioned, I don't envision Kel-Tec having a well stocked parts/repair department for many of their products. For the longest time, the running joke on the sub2k's was that they were made out of a "mythical" material similar to Captain America's shield, called "Un-obtainium" --- :blink: So basically KT only produces them when they are lucky enough to find a meteor made of the stuff near their FL HQ.

#29 ·
I need to drag this thread up more often

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

Reactions: dudeman351
#31 ·
I've seen the references to Texheim's unfortunate sub-2000 experience but had never seen the original post.

I've always wanted one of these too; and was watching Hickok45 wear one out the other day, and he had great things to say about it.

I've also been reading quite a few accounts of WWB ammo malfunctioning in all kinds of weapons over the last couple of years, from not firing at all to being too hot and damaging guns (particularly polymer ones); and I was wondering if that may have played a role in your sub-2000 accident.

I will be buying a .40 carbine at some point, but 10-round mags are completely unacceptable to me; leaving me with fewer choices. That eliminates both Taurus and Hi-point from consideration; and both of those guns are nearly as heavy as regular rifles anyway (6.6 and 7 lbs. respectively).

So it seems I'm back to the sub-2000, which comes in at a svelte 4 lbs. and folds to boot. In any event, when searching and reading about sub-2000 malfunctions, most of the results seem to be from 2010-2012; so I'm hoping with experience Kel-tec has gotten it right.

#32 ·
You've thought it out. You buy a ticket, you ride the ride.

Reactions: G8R8U2
#35 ·
I was shooting at the range a while back and my buddy brought out his S2K in .40. I told him about my misfortune and he said in over 750 rounds through his, he's never had an issue. Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.

#38 ·
I was shooting at the range a while back and my buddy brought out his S2K in .40. I told him about my misfortune and he said in over 750 rounds through his, he's never had an issue. Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.
Sadly, as long as guns are made by humans we're going to be able to say that about virtually every gun produced.

I think I've heard complaints about virtually every make and model I've ever owned in 30 years of gun buying, as well as every make and model I've never had personal experience with.

I remember when the Kimber Solo first came out, I thought to myself that might be a reliable, well-made striker-fired pistol I might consider; because typically I don't care for pistols that I can't cock the hammer and fire single action. But I waited to see what the first buyers said in reviews.

And sure enough, in subsequent issues of the gun mags that had tested the gun and given it a thumbs up, buyers were writing in that their experience with their new Solos were nothing like the magazines' testers... virtually every review I read in print and online complained of multiple malfunctions with each pistol.

Same deal with the R51; looked promising, but I waited for the reviews from folks who struggle with delayed gratification more than me... and wow, was that ever a wise decision; Remington is recalling every last one of those pistols and replacing them. I would have burst a blood vessel and stroked out if I'd bought a brand new pistol with all the terrible issues those things had right out of the box.

#39 ·
Yup, Not had an issue with Taurus or Rossi until I just bought a Rossi 461 snub nosed .357. 18 rounds without a hiccup and loaded another cylinder and when I pulled the hammer back for the 19th round, it locked up tight. Once we loosened the side plate screws, the hammer fell. Good thing I tied some heavy cord around the frame in front of the hammer or I would've shot my computer monitor. Sent it to Rossi and they said they are going to scrap it and send me a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.