Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NoobCannon

Thread: Any H&R Pardner owners out there? Thinking of getting one for apartment defense

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14401 times

Any H&R Pardner owners out there? Thinking of getting one for apartment defense

I know this is an 870 clone so I don't think I should have any issues. How many rounds do you have through yours? Problems? Issues? Also I see that Remington uses size BB shot in their HD loads. Is there any advantage (besides more pellets) or disadvantage to using that sized shot versus 00 buckshot? Right now I'm leaning towards BB due to a shared wall. I do have a plan in place that negates any chances of firing in that direction but it involves the dog waking me up and having time to get into a certain position.
    “If taxation without consent is not robbery, then any band of robbers have only to declare themselves a government, and all their robberies are legalized.”
    Lysander Spooner

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the law ought to restrain him." Thomas Jefferson.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14401 times
    I'd like to add that I did use the search function but didn't come up with much.
    “If taxation without consent is not robbery, then any band of robbers have only to declare themselves a government, and all their robberies are legalized.”
    Lysander Spooner

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the law ought to restrain him." Thomas Jefferson.

Member #
    Liked
    3957 times
    Personally, I almost bought one when I was searching for a Maverick 88 but couldn't find one. They felt good in and and shouldered well, but seeing the 'Made In China' stamped on the reciever turned me off of them. Also, knowing you can't swap barrels with 870's unless you take a grinder to them also turned me away as well.

For HD rounds, I simply have a box of 2 3/4" Federal Top Gun #8 target loads. I figure 460+ pellets hitting someone at point blank range is more than enough for takedown without destroying the house.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    12226 times
    The Cabelas flyer just came and shows them for 160.00....I am very tempted.
    Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Member #
    Liked
    3957 times
    If I were going to buy a shotgun made in China, it would probably be a Savage Stevens 350. The fact that they come with a built on rear ghost ring is ultra tempting. But $160 is pretty good for a Pardner, that's about a $20 drop from the average $179 that they usually run around Pittsburgh.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    They work but its not the smoothest shotgun to reload or operate, for $50 more I would get a Mosssberg. Its also hard to disassembler-reassemble, well at least for me it was it was covered with grease because it is assembled in China.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    The last review I saw said it was a good, reliable gun. Just hard on your sholder, and ears.

Paul

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14401 times
    Yeah I don't plan on putting a hundred rounds through it every time I take it out got an 1187 for that. Just need something that is cheap, dependable and short enough to maneuver indoors.
    Lysander Spooner

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The Norinco built firearms such as H&R PP and Hawk are good quality product same as their AK. I have good experience with the Hawk 982 which comes with the ghost ring sight. About 500rds went through the pipe with no issue. 5+1 capacity and it can be easily made it to 6+1 for the 2-3/4" shell. Mag extension needs to be custom made. If you prefer GRS equipped, for $185 the Hawk 982 has better value since the GRS itself worth >$100+labor.
    The Maverick 88 is also a good choice for a $200's SG. A lot of support and accessories are available for these popular SGs.

The real story from other forum shows us that the birdshot is not a good choice to effectively stop the BG. All 4 BGs and the homeowner are survive from the birdshots. Shots were fried from 5 to 40 feet.
    Shotgunworld.com • View topic - Homeowner vs multiple intruders in Cocoa, FL
    Last edited by AE86FL; 12-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    ALRIGHT, SOMETHING I KNOW!!

I got mine last year, and I've lost count of what I ran through it. It's shot Buckshot, birdshot, slugs, it ate it all. I've NEVER had a problem with it whatsoever. I pump, pull, it goes bang, repeat. It doesn't quit. I got it for under $100 out the door at a pawn shop, and I've since spent more on making it "tacticool" and on shotgun shells than what I originally paid for it.

Get it, you won't be disappointed. It's cheap, it works, and the majority of Remington 870 parts fit on it. Mine came with an 18.5" ribbed barrel that used Remington chokes, but I've heard that the newer ones use a different choke. I got a Door Breaching muzzle brake on mine, lopped off most of the rib for a cheapy heatshield, mounted a sidesaddle shell holder, and a saddle-type scope mount for a cheapy red dot. I did it mostly because I could, and I like how it turned out. The front 3 inches of rib that's left actually makes a fairly good front sight.

I ran it toe-to-toe against my landlord and his Remington 887, just blasting at some junk one of his old tenants left behind, and it kept up no problem. I let him play with it a bit, and he was impressed, mainly by the weight. Yes, it has noticeable heft to it, which is a good thing, it soaks up the recoil fairly well. Gave him a bit of a surprise when he found out it was made in China.

Honestly, get one. If you don't like it, you can part with it easily at the prices they go for. It's not like you'll be out several hundred dollars. These are the Hi-Points of the shotgun world, in my opinion. Not too pretty, kinda heavy, but they work and they're affordable.
    91 whiskey and Montkun like this.
    Enfield Number 5 Jungle Carbine "Rule 303"
    H&R Pardner Pump 12GA "Senor 12-Gauge"
    Thompson M1911A1 .45ACP
    RIP Uncle John, 1953-2014....you fought hard.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links