Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1943 Russian Mosin-Nagant

8K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  CJS3 
#1 · (Edited)
It arrived at a very reasonable time from Bud's. I ordered it Monday night and got it today at Heritage. Very pleased with my purchase for Bud's, Mosin's are really hard to find now because they are so cheap, everyone's buying them here! They even have Mosin competitions around my area. I plan on using it as my main hunting rifle for deer and hogs this season. I'll have range pictures up soon. Here is the link for the Bud's advertisement: Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R Very Good Condition $109.00 SHIPS FREE

Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
This was my first time shooting 7.62 X 54R, first impressions were positive. This is probably one of the best deals on the internet right now. The trigger was tight with no slack, just a plane jane trigger really. I did not have any issues firing the weapon or any malfunctions. The recoil was manageable and did not interfere with accuracy, I used a universal recoil sleeve pad that helped tremendously. I was satisfied with over-all accuracy, but a scope is very foreseeable in the future. I hear these are accurate up 600 yards so a scope is a must.

7.62 X 54r is a lot of fun to shoot, upon impact with the back-stop a small fire-works would occur :' ). It was like the 4rth of July inside an indoor range, no joke. Not bad for $109, cant wait to go hunting after I get a scope installed by my smith for this bad boy.

At 75 yards and 100 yards:

At 25 yards and 50 yards:

At 100 yards:

#24 ·
7.62 X 54r is a lot of fun to shoot, upon impact with the back-stop a small fire-works would occur :' ). It was like the 4rth of July inside an indoor range, no joke.
Most indoor ranges won't let you shoot steel core ammo, they tend to damage the back stops.

#8 · (Edited)
Well it just so happens there was a gun show today! Spent $110 on 440 can of 7.62 X 54R, a manual and some clips. The hat was only $10. Very good day!

People Crew Team Photography History
Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Troop Soldier Infantry Army Military organization
Military organization Infantry Soldier Troop Army

Reactions: TexasDeputy
#9 · (Edited)
Nice Mosin you got there, very hard to go wrong with one of those. I need to get a spam can myself so I'm stocked up for that gun. My only recommendation would be to get a Limb Saver slip on recoil pad. Small/Medium or Medium works well and gives you an extra inch on the length which works good for people with long arms. Much better option than the replacement rubber stock plate that removes the steel one. I understand they have very little give when shooting.

Ignore the part about the Limb Saver, I just saw you have a pad to use.

#11 · (Edited)
In reference to the spam can, make sure you get the spam slicer! Unless you want to go Bowie on something :'(

Reactions: rodfair
#12 · (Edited)
Well apparently it was "Ladies Night" at the range LOL. I had no clue...but I did manage to get a rifle lane eventually. Got some more rifled slugs out of my custom hunting Mossberg 500 and my new-to-me Mosin. Great times:D The Mosin is pulling to the right, any ideas?

Shooting sport Shooting Design Font Shooting range

#13 ·
Mine shoots slightly right at 100 yards, which I just took into account as windage since I use an outdoor range. Plus, with 70 year old iron sights I really can't complain. You might want to check your front post and make sure it hasn't drifted to the left a bit. There should be a line that will give you the centered mark on the post and front ring to line it up as close to dead on as possible. It happened to a guy at the range shooting his Mosin, once we tapped it back into place he put 13 of 15 shots on target from a bench rest. His was a 1942 model, which showed an obvious craftsmanship change once the war started. The high wall no longer had it's clean bevel, replaced by a grind down on the receiver that would let the bolt travel freely.

#15 ·
Damn you all....now I want one!

To think, I ALMOST picked up a 'Moist Nugget' when I traded in my Enfield. Only reason I said no and got my coach gun instead was they didn't have any ammo to go with it.

#16 ·
Got my moisin for Christmas had to put a butt pad on it, got it from Mamazon.com for around $13.00, what you say about the spam can is true, I took a beer out into the back yard and let my son open it....Dad its open! 4875 different tools laying around on the living room floor! Beautiful weapon. Take a can of Windex to the range with you for the milsurp ammo. If you want a laugh join a moisin site and talk about putting a scope on it or refinishing it!

heres mine! my dau is 17 btw,

Attachments

#20 ·
Latest addition: BSA Long-Eye-relief scope

Reactions: rodfair
#22 ·
Last year I picked one up at a Gun Show for $100 and a 440 round Sardine Can of ammo for $92, thinking it would be a cheap way to shoot a large caliber Rifle.
Then I found out they kick like a drunken Mule.
No wonder the Rooskies wear those heavy coats and drink so much Vodka.

#23 ·
I must be nuts, I love the recoil from the Mosin, I will be using mine for a hog hunt this fall. I only have one, its a 1943 mosel as well, I plan on leaving it just like it is, may get a second one. Saw a place in Ft. Lauderdale advertising mid '30s Mosins for $125.00, going to have to find that ad again. If I can get up there I will check them out.

#27 · (Edited)
I recently sold my last 91/30 because, well I've gotten kind of bored with them. I've had 3 M44s. Customized one of them, and gave another to my BiL as a birthday present. I had 2 different 91/30s. Customized one as a deer/target rifle. With hand loaded ammo it was a tack driver. I sold my M38 for almost three times what I paid for it. I had a Finnish M39, but used it in a trade for a S&W model 29. I'd like to get another, just for their reputation as an accurate production rifle. I have a 91/59 that I plan on keeping, because I like the short rifle, and because you can't find them anymore. The recoil of the MN has never bothered me that much, and shooting near dusk always makes for a good light show.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.