Member #
    Liked
    17315 times

Marlin v. Hornady

I took my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun out the the range yesterday. (Trying out my new Lead Sled )
    Also took 2 boxes of the Hornady 325 gr. Leverevolution ammo.
    Disaster. Put a single round in the magazine and got all settled. It wouldn't feed. Not only didn't feed but locked the gun up something fierce. Turns out there is a known issue with this combination. Curious in a way, because if there was any gun that ammo was designed for, seems like this one.
    Anyway, I took the gun in to the service center today. Marlin is going to fix it under warranty.
    My hat's off to them - what a wonderful attitude. It would be so simple for them to say, "Well, don't use that ammo. Duh!"
    I really appreciate them saying, instead, "Our gun doesn't work perfectly, well then, let us fix it."
    Certainly leaves me wanting another Marlin.
    Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.

I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

C++ should really be named ++C.

Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    MadKaw... by chance are you a MarlinOwners member?

I have a bunch of Marlins but I'm a handloading bullet caster. My second shot with my 338MX and the Hornady ammo overpressured the rifle. It had to be sent back to Marlin, they basically replaced the rifle, and Hornady replaced the ammo. I've only shot my cast bullets out of it since.

Member #
    Liked
    17315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    MadKaw... by chance are you a MarlinOwners member?

I have a bunch of Marlins but I'm a handloading bullet caster. My second shot with my 338MX and the Hornady ammo overpressured the rifle. It had to be sent back to Marlin, they basically replaced the rifle, and Hornady replaced the ammo. I've only shot my cast bullets out of it since.
    I'm not. I have a couple of Marlin rimfires - one is a Papoose - and this. This gun is, btw, one of the most beautiful guns I've seen. When I get it back I'll post a pic.

Member #
    Liked
    17315 times

Not quite so happy

So... Marlin isn't covering the repair. They call it an update, instead. It's going to cost me about $50. (including $20 shipping.)
    I'm not quite as happy as when I thought it would be covered. Oh well.

Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    The new Marlin (Remington) isn't doing too well in the CS arena. They make Taurus look really good! The big storm is swirling around the 338 Marlin Express. There are a lot of issues that Remington does have the experience to correct as all the people that designed and built the rifle where terminated during the acquisition. The latest is that the rifles have been discontinued and those in or returned to CS are being refunded if the customer has original receipts. My rifle was an early one that made it back to the real Marlin CS before the takeover. Remington has become an assembler of widgets. They cannot take one of their products and figure out what is wrong with it as they have NO skill left in the workforce.

Member #
    Liked
    1080 times
    I have to echo Ranch Dog's comments. In 12/2010 all the machinery from Marlin® was moved from North Haven, CT to the Remington® plant in Ilion, NY. Most unfortunately zero of Marlin®'s skilled work force went to Ilion, NY. Marlin® made Marlin® lever guns, have ALL numeric serial numbers and a "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel; where it mates to the receiver. Remington® made Marlin® lever guns, have a REP proof mark on the barrel; and a serial number that begins with "MR". The Remington® made guns, known colloquially as Marlingtons or Remlins; are ABSOLUTE CRAP IMHO.

I surmise you have a real Marlin® made in CT, before Ceribus (Remington®) bought them out.

To enable your particular 1895 to use the Hornady® LEVERevolution™ ammunition, do one of the following...........
    • Load a FP bullet as the first round in the magazine, followed by four LEVERevolution® ammo; and your gun will feed fine. Cost = $0.00.
    • Remove the follower (cap) from the magazine tube and counter sink a small divot in the center of the follower. The pointed nose a flex tip of LEVERevolution ammunition will fit in the divot. With this modification you can load the magazine full of LEVERevolution® ammo and it will feed fine. (This is what I did to my two 444 Marlin® rifles) Cost = $0.00.
    • Order a new magazine follower and install yourself. Cost & shipping maybe $20.00.

To reiterate Ranch Dog's suggestion, go to marlinowners.com It is the premier forum for information about Marlin® rifles.
    Last edited by badge851; 07-14-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    17315 times
    Thanks for the info. I had already dropped the gun off at the service center. (did it the next day) Since it would have cost me shipping anyway, or the same amount in gas to go pick it up, I'm letting them fix it.
    But, lesson learned. I won't repeat the mistake.

Links