Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choke ID?

Member #
    Liked
    519 times

Choke ID?

Anyone know what choke this might be on my old Itaca 37 20 ga.?

The 'only' lettering states: '20 ga Weaver Choke, El Paso, Tex USA'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20591 times
    http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/weaverchokes.htm

H
    ere's a link that might offer you some help?
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.' Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Thanks Skiff, but nothing there.

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Starting to uncover the mystery. Found this pic and comment on another forum:

"..that is an old weaver choke that has a built in compensator, extremely popular in the 50s and 60s with trap/skeet shooters. I personally think they are very ugly and make the gun unbalanced, however they are very functional and some models were even adjustable as to how much choke you needed...".

Apparently mine just has what is called the 'choke body' (as called by dealers on gunbroker), with no choke. Kinda makes sense, since mine 37 was made in 50 or 51.

Also had this comment posted:

"..Yes, the part with the holes and inscription is indeed the compensator/muzzle brake. if you will shine a flashlight from the other side you will notice the end of the barrel, a large gap and the beginning of the choke, the shotcup and wad actually exit the barrel followed by the hot gasses and enter the choke while the gasses escape through the ports, thereby making follow up shots quicker and more precise. UGLY THEY ARE, BUT THEY DO INDEED WORK...".
    Last edited by kerk; 06-23-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    I had an old Mod 11 Remington that had one of those installed. Killed many a Quail and Dove with that gun as a kid.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by .452dia View Post
    I had an old Mod 11 Remington that had one of those installed. Killed many a Quail and Dove with that gun as a kid.
    Do you recall if the choke sat all the way inside the compensator?

It appears that I just have the compensator. Inside the compensator are just 3 rings round the interior radius. I would probably leave it as is, but I'm not sure if wad paper will hang up on those rings, as they have squared edges.

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kerk View Post
    Do you recall if the choke sat all the way inside the compensator?

It appears that I just have the compensator. Inside the compensator are just 3 rings round the interior radius. I would probably leave it as is, but I'm not sure if wad paper will hang up on those rings, as they have squared edges.
    Sounds like you may be missing part of the compensator. It's been a long time since I owned that gun but if I remember correctly it had a smooth cylinder with holes in it from the actual muzzel to the end of the compensator. Can you get a good photo from the muzzle end that shows the rings you speak of? Also, by any chance is the end of your compensator threaded on the inside?
    Last edited by .452dia; 06-24-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Sounds like you may be missing part of the compensator. It's been a long time since I owned that gun but if I remember correctly it had a smooth cylinder with holes in it from the actual muzzel to the end of the compensator. Can you get a good photo from the muzzle end that shows the rings you speak of? Also, by any chance is the end of your compensator threaded on the inside?
    Yup, threads run from the exit end to the first ring. And with counting the thread stop, there are 5 rings. The inside circumference of the rings appears to be the same as the barrel.

It's got me stumped as to where the choke mounts. Hopefully it's not supposed to look like the picture I posted from another thread.

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    It looks like you have the compensator part without the choke which screws into the end where the threadsa are.

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    It looks like you have the compensator part without the choke which screws into the end where the threadsa are.
    If so, that's fine, I will just leave it as is without a choke. My concern was that the choke may have been intended to run all the way to the barrel end, but then, what would be the sense off having holes in the compensator? My concern was wad material hanging up on the rings inside the compensator.

Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links