Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

Traditions and CVA Muzzleloaders

A friend of mine has coerced me into thinking that I should get into muzzle-loading. I am new to that sport, so would like advice from anyone who has used a smoke pole. He also has a lower end Traditions model he would like to trade, and I am interested.

However, I have read a report or two which say that Traditions & CVA muzzle-loaders are not that great -- especially the lower priced ones. As long as it is safe, buying this particular rifle is okay with me, because if I don't like this branch of the shooting sports, I won't be out much.

Also, can anyone tell me about the T/C Black Diamond? A LGS nearby has a used stainless model selling for $150. Might get that one if I don't like my friend's rifle.

Thanks in advance for your advise!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10697 times

Re: Traditions and CVA Muzzleloaders

I'm a big fan of the CVA rifles. They're a lot like Taurus, made a couple (bad) errors years ago and they're still haunted today. I've shot the Wolf, Optima, and most recently the Accura. All three were stellar performers. The new QuickRelease breech plug is absolutely kickass as far as I can see.

I was also looking at a Traditions ($160 new out the door...wow) at Shiel's a few weeks ago, very nice looking and apparently they've been in the BP market for just about forever. I've heard nothing but good about them. Haven't shot one yet so I can't vouch for it, but, I know it felt darn good in the hands and up to the shoulder...sights came right up for me.

I know nothing of the T/Cs, so I can't offer any insight there.

Some quick thoughts before you buy one: Make sure it's a break action, a whole lot easier to clean. I also prefer the 209 primers (seem to be the most common), white hot powder tabs, and .50 bullets. I've been shooting mostly PowerBelt, but, I've seen some for a whole lot cheaper. May also want to pick up a spare ram rod, the ones that come with the guns seem to be a bit on the flimsy side.

Good luck on your decision, I think if you can find the right equipment for you you'll enjoy the sport immensely.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6896 times

I own a CVA Wolf and it's a fantastic rifle. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't seem powder or even projectile picky like my Cabela's Hawken Hunter Carbine and is a friggin tack driver. I've heard some of the new pointy full bore sized conicals shoot really well, but I've been shooting my own cast 360 grain Lee REAL (Rifling Engraved At Loading) conicals and they'll shoot 2" at 100 yards all day long. I've seen one hole 3 shot groups posted for the more modern bullets, but I'm happy with my own cast stuff for hunting, personally.

The tool-less breach block is a MUST HAVE IMHO. It allows me to unload after a hunt without firing which is convenient, and it greatly facilitates bore swabbing at the range and cleaning once home. I friggin' LOVE that. The trigger is fantastic on my Wolf, let off is crisp and about 3 lbs or so. You just can't beat this thing for the money. I paid 179 for mine at Gander Mountain last year. I'm very happy with it and wouldn't trade it for a TC. I have a Contender, TCs are quality, just don't think I could get a more usable hunting modern 209 primed front loader. The finish on the thing is a little rough. Mostly, the alloy receiver is cast and there are casting overruns and such in it. But, it shoots fantastic and, heck, i don't see stuff like that too well anyway with my old eyes.

I have a 3x9 lighted reticule scope on mine. I can't praise it enough. Super BP hunting rifle.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6896 times

Oh, BTW, for the more traditional, I have a CVA Plainsman Hawken style rifle with 1:48 twist I picked up on Gunbroker for 80 bucks. I wanted something to shoot patched round ball with and it shoots well. It ain't fancy to look at, kicks like a mule, but it's a good shooter. My Investarms built Hawken Hunter Carbine (from Cabelas) is more accurate, but it's also a 1:24 twist so I have to shoot either sabot 240s or Hornady Great Plains 385 grain Minies in it. It'll shoot my cast Lee Improved Minies if cast of pure lead, but doesn't seem to like my REAL bullets and the only powder it likes is Pyrodex. The CVA Plainsman seems okay with any of the substitutes and I like to shoot 777 and it also shoots my Lee conicals pretty well, the 1:48 being a compromise twist. I don't have access to real black powder unless I order it in bulk off the net and pay the hazmat fees, so I just shoot the subs.

Yeah, CVA does make a good rifle.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18367 times

I bought a Thompson Center Renegade .50 caliber muzzleloader in 1989, before all the more modernized types of muzzle loaders came out, and it has been very reliable.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

Thanks very much gents -- just the kind of info I was looking for. I have owned and used firearms for over twenty years, but never a muzzle loader. That's what makes this forum great -- real world advise on many types of firearms. It is not the same situation with other forums which offer a lot of 'expert' opinion. I do believe I will like the sport, will post pics when I get the rifle, but I may also have more questions to ask!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Links