Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    129 times

*UPDATE* REMINGTON 700 MODS FOR ACCURACY

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Chambered in 308 Winchester
    24" Barrel 1:10 Twist X-Mark Pro Trigger (non externally adjustable)

I had it at the range about 3x since i bought it 2 1/2 weeks ago
    i wanted to know what kind of modification/upgrades would you do?
    I will hunt with this rifle, but i guess i would say that primarily i would be target shooting
    more than hunting (due to time to go hunting).
    one thing i noticed was the trigger is pretty darn stiff and i think i might have some work done or replaced.
    I've read that the X-Mark Pro trigger can be adjusted but i'm a little leary about that, now if some one here has done it before with good results and is willing to explain then i might give it a try.
    what other mods would you recommend?
    the reason i'm looking for mods is that i'm not to happy with the consistancy/accuracy of my groups(i think it may be me).430" 3 shot groups one day and .750 groups on another (weather is about the same)
    i'm used to my AR shooting dime size groups all the time with my reloads.
    my current trial load is a 150gr Sierra Game King SPBT with 44.5gr Varget and CCI BR-2 primers (CCI 200 weren't available)
    let me know what you think
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Re: REMINGTON 700 MODS FOR ACCURACY

First of all, congrats on your new rifle! What kind of scope are you using?

Next, don't know much about that specific sub model rifle, but I know the 700. If it's a wood stock, and it's not already, float the barrel. I don't see the point with a synthetic stock, but I guess its better to do so anyhow, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's too easy not to... Next, if you don't like the trigger, try adjusting it. Nothing to worry about, just do it. If you don't like the end result, adjust it back or get a new trigger assembly.

So, you shot a .4 group one day and a .7 group another. That's not terrible, but you can get it better at 100 meters since you're hand loading. If you're loads are consistent to the tenth of a grain, your inconsitency in your group was more than likely you, however, you already noted that to be the probable cause. Another cause could be if you didn't let your rifle cool down completely between shots. Many rifles start tossing rounds on a hot barrel, I know mine does. You just simply need to shoot your rifle more. Don't compare it to an AR, because it's not an AR. It's a different rifle, with more recoil, and you're going to have to get use to it.

Once you float that barrel, if not already, and get the trigger where you want it, it's an ammo game at that point. But, you probably already know that too, since you load your own. If you can't get the groups you want with the round you're using, go to a little heavier or longer boat tail round, I wouldn't go lighter. See what you get then. I'm about to order a box of 150 grn Hornady SST's for my .270 and see how it likes them. They've got a great BC, and my rifle likes heavier lead vs. the lighter stuff.

Seriously though, don't get too caught up in it. If you're getting half inch groups at 100, that's good for anything out to 500 meters for hunting. I wouldn't have a second thought, especially with a .308 rifle. That's such a stable round. I went on a mission of perfection for my .270 not long ago, and I finally have it real close. I'm still playing with it though. If precision is your mission, it's addicting...... And can be costly.
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer SP2340
    Taurus PT 145
    Rossi 357
    Taurus PT 709SS
    Marlin XL7 w/ Nikon 3-9X50
    Mossberg 500A
    ISSC M22
    NEF Pardner 12GA Pump

Member #
    Liked
    129 times

Quote Originally Posted by tarpon4me
    Seriously though, don't get too caught up in it. If you're getting half inch groups at 100, that's good for anything out to 500 meters for hunting. I wouldn't have a second thought, especially with a .308 rifle. That's such a stable round. I went on a mission of perfection for my .270 not long ago, and I finally have it real close. I'm still playing with it though. If precision is your mission, it's addicting...... And can be costly.
    I guess i was expecting more from a bolt rifle.... I know not to compare but, my AR is Real accurate
    seems to like what ever handloads i feed it, excecpt Nosler Partitions...
    as far as the scope goes its CHEAP but got one on my AR.... I just think a rifle should shoot the same day in or out...consistent... I'm gonna change primers.... my gut's telling me to try it
    its got to do .5 or its not worth it to me....shoot its a Remington, supposed to be the standard
    anyways back to the range tomorrow, with different primers in the loads......
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times

Can't add much.

My 700 in .308 (SPS Tactical) shoots everything well but some loads better than others. I did break in the barrel and while it only shrunk groups a little, it made a huge difference on how long the accuracy last between cleanings and made cleaning much easier.

I have installed a Rifle Basix trigger and got my pull down to 1#. It does help me shoot the gun more accurate. My scope also has a very fine reticle which most cheaper scoped don't.

My best advice would be the same as Tarpon, for a hunting gun groups sizes mean little. I focus on getting my hunting rifle and loads to shoot to the same point of impact, no matter the outside conditions.

I will also add that I hunted with a 700 in 30-06 for years. I spent a lot of money trying to get it to shoot just 1" groups, never did succeed but I never missed a deer!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4992 times

As you already stated your trigger is tight, that will cause your group to open up at least what you reported. My deer rifle has a adjustable trigger that I dial up to 5 lbs for hunting it can get cold. But for target I set it about 1.5 lbs and that tightens the groups up a lot.

I'd say go with the trigger first.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    367 times

First and foremost if you haven't already, get a good stock for it. They make a ton of stocks out there and finding one that will give you a consistent and proper cheekweld will bring your accuracy up more than anything. The second part to a good rifle is a good scope and good rings. General rule of thumb for most people is you should get a scope that is valued at least as much as your rifle. There are several scope makers out there that will give you great service, but your choice in scopes should be as important as the rifle, I was told this by a competition shooter as well; "You can get a BSA scope for a hundred bucks and have it fairly consistent if you spend the money and get the best rings out there." He believed in the rings more than the scope and we are talking about a guy who has the load data on each ten lot of rounds he manufactures taped on the ammo boxes he brought to the range and kept a journal of environmental conditions on the range trip and noted discrepancies of accuracy for when he returned to his reloading cave. I may never be as fanatical as him when it comes to reloading but I think he was on to something about the rings. I would do all these things first before I start messing with the trigger. A remington 700 comes with a great trigger for the most part and a trigger is only one component to consistent accuracy.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Well, the biggest thing to me, humbly, is that the rings and mount are steel. Not aluminum or any other type of soft composition. Lighter materials expand and shrink as the weather changes. A set of quality Leupold rings and mounts for instance, are dead on every time. I don't use any other type of ring or mount.
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer SP2340
    Taurus PT 145
    Rossi 357
    Taurus PT 709SS
    Mossberg 500A
    ISSC M22
    NEF Pardner 12GA Pump

Member #
    Liked
    129 times

*UPDATE*
    thanks guys for all the input.... well went to the range yesterday with my reloads, tools to adjust my trigger and reloads with Federal Match Primers
    I fired my loads with the CCI BR2's and still averaged 2700 fps and .750 groups....
    adjusted my trigger just by feel and used the CCI loads and same thing .750 groups (got 1 slamfire so tightened up on the trigger a bit) after everything the best groups and velocity was with the Federal Match Primers .320 groups and i
    picked up 60 fps for an average of 2760 fps vs 2700 fps

I guess its safe to say the rifle is should be able to do 1" groups out of the box and way better with handloads.... now i don't understand how a primer can make that much of a difference.... it also did the same with my AR 50 fps increase and .430 groups (from .750) and will do it consistantly (just used it again last week with a different lot of reloads same load data)
    I am thinking about another scope, but i can't justify a scope that costs as much or more than my rifle
    I also thought about a stock (Hogue with full bedding) just don't know if its worth it....
    once again thanks for the input

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Re: *UPDATE* REMINGTON 700 MODS FOR ACCURACY

Well, one primer could be igniting the powder more evenly, so you're getting the full blunt force of the power all at once, instead of having burn off after the round has been propelled forward. I'm no pro, but that would be my suspision.

Next, you DON'T have to spend that much money on a good scope. Nikon and Redfield both make very nice scopes for between 100-200 bucks, depending on what size objective lense you prefer. Personally, I won't put anything but a 50 objective or larger on my rifle. I think I paid 185 delivered for my Nikon 3-9X50, and I couldn't be happier with it. With that scope and a 200 dollar cheapo rifle, my hand load groups at 100 yards are clover leafs.
    Glock 27
    Sig Sauer SP2340
    Taurus PT 145
    Rossi 357
    Taurus PT 709SS
    Mossberg 500A
    ISSC M22
    NEF Pardner 12GA Pump

Member #
    Liked
    129 times

Re: *UPDATE* REMINGTON 700 MODS FOR ACCURACY

Quote Originally Posted by tarpon4me
    Well, one primer could be igniting the powder more evenly, so you're getting the full blunt force of the power all at once, instead of having burn off after the round has been propelled forward. I'm no pro, but that would be my suspision.

Next, you DON'T have to spend that much money on a good scope. Nikon and Redfield both make very nice scopes for between 100-200 bucks, depending on what size objective lense you prefer. Personally, I won't put anything but a 50 objective or larger on my rifle. I think I paid 185 delivered for my Nikon 3-9X50, and I couldn't be happier with it. With that scope and a 200 dollar cheapo rifle, my hand load groups at 100 yards are clover leafs.
    that's what i like $150-$200 scopes, can't see $900-$1500....
    I saw a Redfield the other day it was pretty darn clear... might do that in a 50mm
    as far as primers both were "MATCH" as a kicker the Federals were cheaper...$2.99 per 100 vs. $4.59 go figure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links