Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    105 times

Need Help Selecting a 500 Yard Rifle

My wife wants to get me a rifle for our anniversary. She's really great. I want a 308 Bolt action. Choices are narrowed down to a Remington 700 ADL w/ Bull Barrell ($520.00 w/ Bull Barrell), Thompson/Center Venture, or a Remington 700 BDL. Budget is $500.00. Want something with readily available ammo and ammo I can afford to shoot. Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Member #
    Liked
    1374 times

Re: Need Help Selecting a 500 Yard Rifle

Remington 700's are great guns but I would also consider a Savage for out of the box accuracy.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

.308 is a good choice. You don't need anything fancy for 500 yard performance. Finding the ammo your rifle likes is the secret. Also, the money is better spent on the optic, rather than the rifle. Even the cheapest of rifles are accurate out of the box. But, you may have to experiment with various grain and brand bullets before you find one that is going to provide the accuracy you want. You'll actually be amazed how much a simple brand switch can make a huge difference. Same grain bullet, different brand. Or a switch from a soft point to a ballistic tip, or vise versa. I've found hand loading to be the best option. You don't need anything fancey to load up hunting rounds, and to experiment with different grain loads, and various types of lead.

Glock 27
    Sig Sauer SP2340
    Taurus PT 145
    Rossi 357
    Taurus PT 709SS
    Marlin XL7 w/ Nikon 3-9X50
    Mossberg 500A
    ISSC M22
    NEF Pardner 12GA Pump

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3578 times

I'd look at the Savage offerings. For a scope, a Leupold or Burris, or a Nikon Monarch will get you out to 500 yards without breaking the bank.

There are enough 155, 168, and 175 gr. Match loadings out there to discover what your rifle likes.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21838 times

I would also agree with looking at the Savage rifles. The barrel attachment system that Savage uses allows the chamber to be setup with zero or near zero head spacing. This is an important feature in accuracy at long distance. I'm not saying the other rifles you've chosen won't be accurate but I am saying that Savage rifles are usually a bit less expensive and a bit more accurate right out of the box.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a savage tactical .308 with a Leupold scope and it will shoot 500 all day, I have two kills at 485 and 510 on deer. As far as target shooting goes it will shoot .5in groups at 100yds with any match grade 168 or 175gr bullet i have put in it. I love a remington also but the savage i got will shoot right with a freind of minds 700vls .308
    Yep

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I second the Savage advice. No experience with Remington for me. My model 12 in 22-250 was very accurate out of the box with factory rounds and even more impressive with handloading. I doubt you will be able to maintain a $500 budget though, if buying new (in addition to adding quality optics).

Member #
    Liked
    19632 times

The .308 is my favorite centerfire rifle cartridge and my Remington 700 ADL is a tack driver (if you do your part ).

It gives me .30-06 ballistics in a shorter action, and I stock up on mil-surp ammo for play time at a big $ savings.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    5940 times

I third,(or fourth or fifth) the Savage lineup.
    can't beat them dollar for dollar out of the box accuracy!
    I just yesterday was looking at a 308 Savage bolt gun, had a 3X9X40 scope, thumbhole brown laminated stock, and of course the Savage bedding system and accu-trigger, it was priced at 499.99.
    I assume this was a Savage package deal!
    IF i still hunted it would have gone home with me, had a jewled bolt that was just crazy smooth.
    trigger pull I think about 2 1/2-3 pounds!
    with todays top quality ammo out there and the availablilty of the many different grains of weight and premium powders the 308 should be more than capable of long range shots providing you do your part.
    you might want to look at the 165 -168 grain boat tailed projectiles as thats what always proved most efficient in my 308's.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

+what ever were up to on the Savage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links