Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Tasco rifle scope

My brother-in-law gave me a Tasco scope, 39x40SPL. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a decent scope for a 30-30.

I really don't know that much about scopes. I checked on line but couldn't come up with anything.

Also can someone tell me what the SPL means?

WHY IN THE HELL SHOULD I HAVE TO PUSH 1 FOR ENGLISH

My Anger Management Classes
    PISSES ME OFF

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times

Re: Tasco rifle scope

If the scope is in good shape it should be fine. (Lifetime Warranty) The mounts are also just as important as the scope so don't skimp too much there. A scope must be mounted so as not to put it into a bind in the mounts and tight enough so there is no movement during firing. It also should be mounted so that the shooter is naturaly looking through it when the rifle is mounted and you can see the whole field of view but far enough from the eye as not to get an eye cut from the recoil.

Not sure about he SPL but I think it has to do with the type lense in the scope.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4053 times

The SPL line is apparently the current offering. Proper mounting of the scope will allow it to function properly. As mentioned, height is important, but so is a good grade of base and rings. They should also be torqued to factory specs. This will be in inch-pounds, so don't figure on really wrenching them down.
    "The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Member #
    Liked
    6855 times

Not familair with the SPL line but I have used Tasco over the years a good bit and they have always performed well for me.
    the only scope that i have ever had problems with was a Burris that simply the cross hairs fell out of it.
    I don't really think that a 30-30 lever gun can fully utilize the 3x9x40 but there is no reason that it would not work other than it might tempt you to take a lot farther shot than the weapon is capable of making.
    the suggestions above about mounting the scope are good.
    remember to use blue loc-tite on the bases, the rings,as you don't want them to work loose over time.
    if using aluminum rings be careful not to strip them off.
    the screws need to be tight but not over tight.
    the eye relief should be so that you can naturally throw the rifle up and look through the scope and see the complete circle inside the scope, also the cross hairs (reticle) should be level when YOU position the rifle in the firing position.
    Below is two of my weapons with Tasco scopes on them, the Ruger RSI 250 Savage has a 1.75 x 5 x 20 which is one of my favorite scopes for short range guns, and the other is my 300 Winchester Magnum (3x9x40), that Tasco scope has endured hundreds of full power 300 mag rounds and never changed zero, or had any problem for many, many years.
    Both are (were) known as "World Class" scopes back then when i bought them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Thanks alot guys.... some interesting info..

OLFARHORS.. You think this scope would be better used on a 308 or a 30-06?

PISSES ME OFF

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2393 times

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-BOOM
    You think this scope would be better used on a 308 or a 30-06?
    In my opinion, yes. But even those might not use the full range of optical power, depending upon the terrain you are in. I have a 2-7x Redfield on my .30-06. It also depends upon what kind of Game you are after. Varmints Hunting does require higher power scopes and with light bullets, the .308 and .30-06 can be used for Varmints as well as Deer.

For a .30-30, I would mount a 1.5x -5x Wideview of some kind. Something similar to what Olfahors has on his Ruger .250.

With that setup you would have a wider field of view at the shorter ranges a .30-30 is typically used. Chances are, if you mounted that 3-9x40mm Scope on your .30-30, it would spend most of it's time on 3x to maybe 6x, and the latter is stretching it.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    6855 times

absouletely agree with JWC!
    the thing that i really like about the lower powered variables is that on the lowest setting (1.75 or say 2.0) you can look through the scope with both eyes open (which i do with most any scope anyway) but the cross hairs for me seem to be just printed on the side of the target and this offers me a lot of side view to see where the animal is going or what else may be around.
    BUT! If I had a freebie 3x9x40 scope i would put that baby on the 30-30 and use it, just be aware that the old 30-30 has a limited effective range.
    If I were going to buy a new scope for the 30-30/35 Rem, then i would look for a low power variable as JWC says.
    the 300 Win mag uses 165 grain boat tailed ballistic tip projectiles and is sighted 3 inches high at 100 yards so it is capable of making fairly long shots and the 3x9x40 has so far been plenty of scope at those ranges for deer sized animals.
    Just to let you kind of know where you are at in scope power/size..
    shoot a really big one!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1592 times

I have an old Tasco 4 power, 40mm, Wide Angle scope on my Marlin 336. I consider this to be the perfect scope for that gun but as stated above if I were given a 3X9 and needed to scope a 30-30, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. You can always keep it on it's lowest setting.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Thanks for all the advice... Its mounted and looks pretty darn good

PISSES ME OFF

Links