Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Primary Arms Optics, Anyone got any experience?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  GreenWolf70 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I have done a lot of research on "high value" red dot sights. I have read reviews, watched videos, and spent a long time looking at specs. At the top of the list is the Primary Arms Classic 30mm Gen II red dot sight. Everything I have seen is that it is a well built piece of gear, especially considering its price. I looked through one on a rifle belonging to a friend of a friend while at his house a couple weeks ago and I was impressed.

Does anyone own this sight? Anyone own any Primary Arms optics? I have made a lot of purchases from them on the latest rifle I have built, the rifle the optic is for actually.

This is a general purpose AR15, I will be taking a carbine class with it in March and it will be my constant companion while scouting for deer and turkey hunting this year. One or more times a week I will be carrying this rifle around the rolling wheat fields of Palouse. I bring a rifle with me to take shots of opportunity on coyotes, of which I have way to manynon this property. In 2015 my other AR15 killed 6 coyotes at ranges of 40-150 yards with open sights. It was very effective, but I would like a red dot for quicker acquisition given that all of those shots were taken quickly on running yotes that I jumped out of eyebrows. I don't see much need for magnification as I have done fine killing them with irons.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have a version of the micro red dot from a couple of years ago. PA is going with a broader product line and prices are increasing with their increased market position. The goods are up to it IMHO.

Compare them to Vortex SPARC - a sight I also own and love. I'd swap the two without a thought.

The Bushnell is the new bang-for-buck at the entry end of the market. PA used to be at that price point.

Decent 2moa red dots will get me a 'kill' shot at 100 yds.

Ymmv.

#3 ·
I have a version of the micro red dot from a couple of years ago. PA is going with a broader product line and prices are increasing with their increased market position. The goods are up to it IMHO.

Compare them to Vortex SPARC - a sight I also own and love. I'd swap the two without a thought.

The Bushnell is the new bang-for-buck at the entry end of the market. PA used to be at that price point.

2moa red dots will get me a 'kill' shot at 100 yds.

Ymmv.
I like the SPARC very much, I have a friend who has one on his AK. Between it and the PA Gen II, I can't say ones better. Granted I haven't had them side by side, but the PA optic looked and felt like the same amount of quality. Truth is, I was thinking of doing a TRS25 on this rifle, then I started leaning towards the SPARC. I own the TRS25 and I have a fair amount of experience with the SPARC and that is why they attracted my attention. Then I looked through the PA and when I found out it was $70 (+ mount) I was immediately very interested.

Thanks for your advice, I will probably buy the optic and a PA mount for it with my next paycheck. Then all I got to do is buy a set of MBUS for it and its done.

#4 ·
I have a PA microdot on my AR. It's a very good value for a high quality sight.

#5 ·
I'm an on-the-fencer currently still on the nay-saying side.
The products are good, I just don't know about the price. They're mostly the same made in China stuff as you find on ebay, same components, same labor, same factories, just with better quality control.
Pay 4x the price for a PA, or you would need bad luck to get 4 defectives of the same thing on ebay, otherwise you'd be ahead.
PA plays the same numbers. Maybe they've figured that if they're charging 8x their cost, they could warranty and replace your item 7x and still be on top.
Their scope mounts are more absurd, they are identical in every way to cheap ebay ones. You might get a silk screened or laser etched PA logo but that's costing you 2-3x.

I've bought cheap optics, disassembled, resoldered some important points, reinforced certain areas, and have items that are better than the marked up PA version.

#6 ·
Well, then don't get it! Simple.

As for the mount... The absolute co-witness mount I got from them was less than $30

Reactions: Wreckerman
#7 ·
I have one, can't remember what model. 2 MOA dot holds zero just fine, it was on sale and included the mount. If I need another one I would buy it again.

#9 ·
Not favoring here - just a few details: The Vortex SPARC has 4 mount options in the box. You will never need a mount from AR (either co-witness height) to shotgun, etc. It has 10 brightness settings and a night setting that works very well.

The UTG mount (medium height 3 slot) to put the PA red dot or TRS-25 at absolute co-witness is always available on e-bay or Amazon for under $10 -- if you do not want to pay for a factory riser. UTG has continued to improve their brand. Their recent line of Pro free float AR handguards are good looking, functional and affordable.

#10 ·
Not favoring here - just a few details: The Vortex SPARC has 4 mount options in the box. You will never need a mount from AR (either co-witness height) to shotgun, etc. It has 10 brightness settings and a night setting that works very well.
Tell me more about this night setting. Is it just a very dim red or something else? I ask, because more and more optical sights are popping up with "night vision" settings.

#12 ·
Yep. On my SPARC (one gen back) it is a stand alone button pre-set for dark environments. I've only used it shooting a couple of times but what is nearly invisible by day works quite well in the dark.

No night vision etc. at that price point -- yet!

#15 ·
Really all these red dots boil down to how much battery life they get.

TRS-25 -I have had this one for over a year and it is still on its first battery. Small and great on an AR.

Vortex SPARC II - Box says 5,000 hours batt life. Picked it up at Cabellas Bargain Cave for $139. It had massive internal reflections, but I knew Vortex has a really good customer service and a lifetime warranty (like Taurus). Took it home, boxed it up and sent it back to Vortex and in a week I had a new reconditioned one that works great.

PA - I don't have one, but I have looked at them many times. They have a good CS reputation and their red dots have many good reviews. Their latest with 50,000 hours battery life sounds like a winner.

UTG - Love their mounts. They announced they will no longer be having their stuff manufactured in China and have opened a manufacturing facility in Detroit. I like that because there are a lot of good skilled people out of work there in Detroit.

I am looking for a small reflex sight for my Rossi R-92 .44 Mag. levergun. I want a red dot that sits very low on the picatinny so I don't need a cheek rest. I was looking at the Burris Fastfire, until i noticed their battery life is 500 hours. Vortex Venom looks good with 5,000 hour batt life. Sig has a new reflex that looks good as well but is a little pricey.

For those of you interested in a tactical 1-4X24 non-luminated scope, Sportsmans Guide has a Leatherwood HiLux for $140 (non-member price). Leatherwood 1-4x24mm Scope, Nitrogen Purged - 657164, Rifle Scopes and Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

#16 ·
My only PA optic is their 4x prism, but I'd recommend them to anyone. Great glass, built tough and not too pricey.

#19 ·
Try a Millet DMS1 1 x4 its a pretty decent scope for the money.

#20 ·
I picked up the Millet DMS-1 for $129 on sale back before Christmas. Nice quality scope.

Reactions: 45 Forever
#22 ·
I think Millet is changing over to production of the DMS-2 (1-6x24) which has a different reticle and seem to be clearing inventory of the DMS-1, so those prices will probably not be around for long.

Reactions: mingaa
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.