Taurus Firearm Forum banner

AR build. ...keep me going!

35K views 471 replies 37 participants last post by  Justice06RR 
#1 ·
Ok guys I'm going to start my AR build and what I need from you guys is to stay on me about it. I have a tendancy to start several things at once thus taking forever to finish anything. So please keep the questions up on my progress so that I will stay focused on the build.

So far all I have done is order the tools I think I will need for this. I could probably get it done with what I already have but hey it's an excuse for a new set of tools:D

I will start ordering parts in the next day or so and I will keep you all posted with pics when they come in. Ill also post pics of my progress. So please guys, stay on me to finish this as quickly as possible.

#4 ·
I used the following tools to put mine together other than the barrel:
Needle nose pliers
electrical tape
adjustable wrench
and
that its...

#5 ·
Are you done yet? :p

It is fun, I took a while buying parts here and there as I had the extra funds. When the last part came in there was no putting it off. Once started there was no stopping. Really did not take very long building both the lower and upper from parts. Less then 3 hours easily with my 11 year old doing most of it. Bet I could do another one in under an hour by my self.

#8 ·
Are you both building the lowers and buying complete uppers, or are you also building the upper?

#9 ·
Specs on mine. Complete upper. I will disassemble to assure the cleaning, lube, etc.

Complete AR-15 in 5.56/223 caliber . It has milspec Aero Precision receiver, M16 Bolt carrier group and a 7075 milspec charging handle.Has a Colt Overrun 16" Socom Chromoly barrel 1-8 twist with M4 feed ramps, MI low profile gas block on a carbine gas system and A GRM 6061 10" free floating quad rail hand guard. All uppers have been lapped , Chambers have been honed and polished and have adjusted and polished feed ramps . They have All been head spaced and test fired (5 Shot).

I did confirm the barrel is free floating. Can't wait for the fun.

#17 ·
MG, if you haven't ordered your parts yet, look here,

Fat Boy Tactical, Home of AR 15 Parts

I just ordered a stripped lower from them and it was in my local gun shop in 3 days.
If you look far enough through their site you will find their "blemished" upper and lower receivers.
Upper (blemished) are going for $39 each! Stripped lowers (blemished) are $39.90 each.

I found a stripped lower (not blemished) sold INCLUDING a lower parts kit for $92 shipped.

I now have 2 stripped uppers and 2 stripped lowers in my safe now, but I'm not sure what I want to make out of them.
I already have a .223.5.56 rifle, and a .223/5.56 pistol, a 7.62x39 rifle, a .410 bore AR.
I'm leaning heavily toward a .300blackout (pistol) for use in deer hunting.

I've also just made arrangements to purchase an upper/lower + LPK AM10 set (.308/7.62x51 Nato).

Building AR's, 15's or 10's, is an addicting proposal.

#19 ·
I considered those blemished receivers hard and may order them for my next build. I'm going to go with a matched set from matrix aerospace for this one that I found for $125 shipped. They are the same set that Ruger uses.

#29 ·
No. The BCG I want is out of stock. And I'm still trying to decide on a few other things. I'm going to my FFL Thursday to see if they might know of a better deal on my receiver set before I order it. So it will probably be at least another week before I even get to start assembly.

Any progress on your end?

#42 ·
Now's the time to start tracking down the optics you want and picking up Mags and ammo. Remember, how many rounds you want to keep on hand for any other firearm you own, then quadruple it because it's an AR-15 platform. If you get a chance to get a spamcan or two of the 7N1 penetrator rounds, get em now because they've been banned by Oblamo. Head over to AR15.com and see what parts they recommend for your buffer assy, gas tube, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.