Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: My "Sport Model" AR-15...

Member #
    Liked
    1559 times

My "Sport Model" AR-15...

I have finally finished my AR 15 Sport Rifle build. It has a totally different look from a standard everyday AR 15 Black Assault Rifle. Maybe it is less threatening, more asethetic, sport friendly.... I don't really know. My guess is that it depends on who is looking at it.

I have been very slowly working on this build for probably 6 months. Believe it or not, I started with the stock and other furniture. I had an idea in my mind of what the finished product would look like and my first step to complete that goal was finding the furniture. It took a little while to find what I wanted but it took a lot longer to come up with the spare cash to put into a gun that would be months in the making.

The furniture (stock, foregrip, and handgrip) is made from triple A fancy grain exhibition grade walnut. I got mine from Mark Hostetter at Precision Firearms in Maryland. The fit was perfect and went together like I was hoping it would. Needless to say I was thrilled because things like this, in my experience, seldom fit like they should.

Once the furniture was ordered and on it's way (there is a lengthy waiting list) I started working on what the upper and lower receiver would look like. I wanted a high gloss gun metal grey color but I did not want a Duracoat/Cerakote type finish. That left only one option... anodizing.

I approached Todd at Anodizing Inc in Ocala,Florida with what I had in mind. He had never attempted a custom AR 15 upper/lower receiver anodizing before but he was willing to try. His company does thousands of uppers/lowers in black every month for most of the receiver manufacturers in the United States but this would be the first attempt at something completely different.

I took him a brand new black anodized upper and lower and we started playing with the color. After stripping, tumbling, polishing, and reanodizing 3 times attempting to get the color I wanted we gave up. The gun metal grey color was not the problem, it was relatively easy to work up the shade of grey I wanted.... What was happening was that the tumbling and polishing media was too coarse to get into all the corners and crevices on the all ready anodized black receivers. Because of this the flats took a high polish but in the corners and such the color stayed slightly dull (matte). Even hand polishing did not allow the shine to come through in the corners....

OK, now what was I going to do? The answer seemed pretty obvious.... if the already black anodizing was causing the problem than what about a completely naked (bare aluminum) upper and lower? I found a company here in Florida that would sell me a naked set of receivers.

Todd than stripped the naked receivers, tumbled them, and polished them 3 times to bring both the upper and lower up to a mirror shine that looked like the finest chrome finish possible. When that was done he applied a class three anodizing in my grey color to both receivers at the same time so the color would match. After tumbling and polishing, both receivers went for 3 hours of hand polishing to get the mirror finish I wanted. The end result is gorgeous!

Now it was back to building the gun. I ordered a 20 inch VooDoo match barrel with a rifle length gas system. When it came in it had a front sight on it! Not exactly what I wanted but I could remove the sight before building and replace it with a low profile gas block.

I used a CMMG lower parts kit with the addition of a Rock River 2 stage match trigger. The BCG is a new full automatic military surplus with a Spikes charging handle.

The scope is a Burris 3 X 9 in a Primary Arms cantilevered quick release scope mount.

When the gun was completely assembled I quickly found things I want to change... the blued barrel doesn't match well cosmetically with the rest of the gun. As soon as I find a 20 inch matte stainless steel barrel with a rifle length gas system I will buy it and switch out the barrel I have for the new one. I also will remove the bird cage flash hider for a thread protector to complete the "sport" look of the gun. The only protector I have is too large....

Another thing I may do on the next build (already in the works... that is why I started the thread asking for color ideas) is have the Primary Arms scope mount (it is aluminum) reanodized in the same color I have the receivers done in.

If anyone would like to have a set of AR lowers reanodized for a similar project Todd will accept single unit orders (he usually deals in anodizing orders of a minimum of 500 pieces) for those who want custom work. Be aware however, that because of the amount of hand polishing involved the cost will probably run around $250 for the custom anodizing. If interested please let me know and I will give you Todd's number for a more exact price.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the (almost) finished product. I want to thank Todd at Anodizing Inc (a division of Scorpion Industries) for all his patience and help with this project. Thanks to his efforts I truly have a one of a kind AR!

Don

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    566 times
    Very nice, and different....
    "You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, & smarter than you think." Pooh Bear

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1536 times
    Looks real nice.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    U.S. Navy (92-97)
    USS Alabama (SSBN 731) blue crew
    USS Philadelphia (SSN 690)

Member #
    Liked
    13290 times
    I like it, nice project. I agree on changing out the barrel to a stainless one.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> Fish on! <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    That's a beaut...Enjoy.
    Proud Member of the NRA.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8650 times
    I like it.
    Evil Is Powerless If The Good Are Unafraid. Ronald Reagan
    The Government Is Not The Solution To The Problem, The Government Is The Problem. Ronald Reagan
    Impeach king barack hussein obama
    I Will Not Comply ! Go Pound Sand !

Member #
    Liked
    7108 times
    Very nice but now it is no longer an Evil Black Rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times
    Awesome!!
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5499 times
    Looks great! Your efforts on the upper/lower paid off.

Member #
    Liked
    1808 times
    It's the first one I've seen done in such a way, very nice. The Modern Sporting Rifle, it takes some of zing out of the media's portrayal of the "assault weapon" or "automatic rifle" label they so often stick on any black long gun. I've said for some time that its a good reason for domestic marketing to just use MSR and leave the military jargon out of it. Don't know if it'll change anyone's perception but it might.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links