Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Bushmaster, DPMS Arms or Windham AR-15

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3728 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scrabtree6 View Post
    For my money the Windham is the way to go. Back in the day you had your ABC's for AR15's. Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt. Generally it was known only those three were worth bothering with. Windham is the old Bushmaster basically. While either choice would be ok I've heard good things from DPMS for a budget rifle and also Bushmaster, but choosing between the three I'd go with the Windham. Plus I believe they donate a portion of each rifle to the wounded warrior project but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    Interesting. Windham has many ex-Bushmaster employees there. http://www.windhamweaponry.com/conte...t_our_team.asp

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3381 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    Interesting. Windham has many ex-Bushmaster employees there. http://www.windhamweaponry.com/conte...t_our_team.asp
    Yup, exact reason I said Windam is what Bushmaster used to be. I was very interested in them when i was looking for an AR before prices went absolutely crazy. I wouldn't mind either one personally, but the DPMS and Windam are 1A & 1B on my list.
    chicharrones likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    If I am not mistaken, Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by Freedom Group (which also owns Remington & a few others).

I researched mine from day one and decided to build my first AR. I built it the exact way I wanted. I put in a little over $1100 into a rifle that would have cost almost $2000 before "the panic." Since that, I have put 2 AR's together for two friends and will be building 1 for wife and a couple of different caliber uppers to go with my rifle. And, I also plan to build a LR308 style AR as well.

Its addictive my friends.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Just for fun and for comparison, I recently purchased this one. Had to head out to Asia before I had a chance to fire it, but it is on my schedule for when I get home in August. By all accounts I have read, Colt is still a top of the line AR unit.

Excellent deal to get the ten mags, filled with ammo, and another 600+rounds, and other goodies - all in the same package.

Bapak2a

Colt LE6721 .223 A3 Tactical Carbine
    SOLD!!!

No longer produced!!! Marked with desirable restricted markings "For Law Enforcement/Military use only", legal to own by civilians). The AR-15A3 is an exceptional patrol rifle with tactical accuracy chosen by federal, state and local agencies. The 5.56 - 16.1" (40.9 cm) heavy barrel with 1 in 9" (229 mm) rifling twist allows flexibility in ammunition selection. The telescopic buttstock adjusts to four positions to enhance mobility and fit to a wider range of operators.The flat top upper receiver allows for easy mounting of optical, night vision and other tactical sighting systems. The tactical carbine is the answer to all the requirements of modern law enforcement.

CALIBER - 5.56mm (.223 Rem)
    METHOD OF OPERATION - Gas; Direct system; Locking bolt
    WEIGHT W/O MAGAZINE - 7.0 lb (3.2 kg)
    LENGTH (stock retracted) - 32 in (81 cm)
    LENGTH (stock extended) - 35 in (89 cm)
    BARREL LENGTH - 16.1 in (41 cm) HEAVY barrel
    SIGHT RADIUS - 14.5 in (37 cm)
    EFFECTIVE RANGE - 600 m
    FRONT SIGHT - Adjustable front
    REAR SIGHT - Target sight adjustable for windage and elevation
    HANDGUARDS - Standard carbine with heat shield

Comes with 10 standard mags
    Nearly 1000 rounds of .223 Remington reloads 55 grain
    UTG soft carry case
    Additional quadrail gas block
    MAGPUL flip-up sights
    MAGPUL Angled Fore Grip 2 (AFG2)
    Don't Tread On Me qualdrail

Has right at 1000 rounds down the pipe.
    chicharrones likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2057 times
    Back when the original Bushmaster (now Windham) sold AR parts, they were often considered the "Gold Standard" of the Market, as were their Rifles. I've had good luck using DPMS lower receivers and other parts.

I know Shooters/owners of both DPMS and Windham Rifles and they are all happy customers.

Quote Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
    If I am not mistaken, Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by Freedom Group (which also owns Remington & a few others).
    Verified: Freedom Group Family of Companies

Last edited by jwc007; 07-18-2013 at 12:33 AM.
    chicharrones and mingaa like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    889 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
    True. DPMS and Bushmaster are now the same. People who complain about the drop in quality of Bushmasters must also consider that with DPMS, although I have not heard anything specific yet to them dropping in quality like Bushmaster. I actually met a field rep for Freedom Group last year and asked him about this, the best answer he could come up with is that some temporary drop in quality is to be expected when a gun company moves to another location (as Bushmaster did). He didn't say anything about quality in regards to change in upper management, which is why I think more than Bushmaster seems to be affected (there have questions about the recent quality of Remingtons coming out, also part of Freedom Group). But I hear that Freedom Group as a whole is getting sold off from the parent company, so who knows what the future holds.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

"DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    I bought a Bushmaster XM-15 16"HB A3 in Oct 2008, and it has been a solid performer that shoots as well as my Colt Sporter.
    chicharrones likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links