Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Zastava M57-A came home today.

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  permafrost 
#1 ·
Noon came and I was waiting at the counter of my LGS to pick up my latest adventure in pistols. As stated before, I was looking for a Tokarev, but found this brand new gun with a good safety, 2 magazines, cleaning brush, etc. for less than the milsurps ($300). Ammo is available, another reason to buy it. It was oily, but not gunked up with cosmoline so cleaning was quick and easy. Dis-assembly is simple. I loaded up a couple of magazines and headed for the backyard in between rain showers. It cycles smoothly and feels great in the hand with very little recoil. The trigger has a bit of take-up, but the hammer falls with very little effort. The firing mechanism, which comes out in one piece, will be easy to smooth out after a reasonable break-in period. Although it's all steel, it's skinny and carries IWB very discreetly. I'll take a drift to the rear sight and move this reasonably good pattern to the right a bit. There are 18 shots at 25 feet standing with a two hand grip. I like it.
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
nice gun, good choice.

#3 ·
Hmmmmmmmmm, where did you get the idea? :)

Looks great, congratulations.

#8 ·
The take-down is similar to a 1911 and it is skinny, just a shade over 3/4 inch. Caliber is 7.62 x 25 and the 308 bullet comes out of the 4.6 inch barrel at ~1,400 fps.

#5 ·
7.62x25, if you can over come the overpenetration issue of a .30 high velocity pistol round it carries a good bit of energy.

Reactions: vonzipper
#11 ·
I am haunted as a child of the cold war of the irony of the flood and popularity of Eastern Block and Soviet arms in America today. My father laughed at the range (a Viet Nam Vet and Naval Officer, among other things he did) because the guy next to us had a new AR that hey just couldn't get to run. Meanwhile we are blazing away with my CZ, TOK, and hand made AK-74s getting great groups and it runs like a champion. Now my first run at the range had issues, but a C-clamp and a hammer were all I needed to get it running right, on the spot.

We also laugh at the irony of the masses of soviet ammunition I have, manufactured for a war that never came to kill American and NATO troops. The ammo ended up in America like it's maker's intended but not as they intended. The irony is so thick considering our political climate that it just makes be break down into fits of laughter. Who would have thought as I grew up expecting to be vaporized at some point or invaded by the reds.

If you like the Zastava, consider other arms like the CZ series of pistols, modern and classic. I am dreaming of the new soviet side arm they just put into production. Kind of like a glock, only lower bore axis and high powered +P ammo. Doubt it is getting exported though..

Reactions: Willboat
#12 ·
Congratulations on your new firearm.

#13 ·
I have one of the milsurp Yugo Toks. I absolutely love it! Your right about doing trigger work on it. It's much easier than working on a 1911.Just pop the whole assembly out and go to it! You can reassemble outside the gun for correct functioning also. i bought a butt load of the tok surplus ammo when it was available, so I'm pretty set there. Man, that is a hot little round!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.