Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 26.5mm Flare Gun + .45 Colt / .410 (3") Adapter (with pictures)

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

26.5mm Flare Gun + .45 Colt / .410 (3") Adapter (with pictures)

I know what you're saying.

"Whaaaaaaat? Is that even LEGAL? That's like a short-barreled shotgun!"

As a matter of fact, it is, or at least in the United States (save for California, I think). It's no different than a Taurus Judge, really, which I know you all are familiar with.

However, it will be a Title 1 firearm; that basically means it is a gun you manufactured. You cannot legally transfer it to another person, so no selling it away.

Here's my flare gun. It's a Czech-made CZ 44/81 26.5mm flare gun. It's quite heavy; it weighs something in the order of over two pounds. I bought it over at Numrich's website for $75, plus some shipping. As you can see, it's in pretty good shape. The only wear is holster wear. Not a speck of rust on this thing. It has a rebounding hammer, and the firing pin is not mounted on the hammer.

The looks grow on you, trust me.

To manage the weight, it came with a satchel holster rig. It's actually leather. It also came with a steel-bristled cleaning brush and a cleaning rod, as well as a lanyard. How nice!

Here's the adapter that turns this from a pyrotechnic device into a firearm. This is the adapter made by Kennesaw Cannon Company. They also make a .22LR adapter, but I opted for a big bore toy. I figured it'd be more useful that way. This one was $60, plus some shipping.

---

The total cost was less than $150 with shipping included, and there wasn't any paperwork at all to order the thing. It was all at my doorstep in the order of a week. Bam, a fully-functional firearm that you can order through the mail. I got it as a cheap alternative to a Judge, which is kind of outside of my cost window at the moment.

Okay, so what's the use for this thing? Well, let's think of a few:

• anti-carjacking gun (although I'd trust the Judge more for this, since it holds more than one shot)
    • snake gun for trudging around the woods
    • boat gun (26.5mm flares are still available)
    • survival gun (.45 Colt slugs and .410 shotgun paired together leave little more to be desired, save for maybe some sights)
    • a testing tool for reloaded ammunition
    • a range toy (you can never have enough of those)
    • an illumination device for night predator hunting (you can purchase parachute flares for illuminating an area; this was a common practice during the first World War to keep the enemy lit up and pinned down)

Okay, there's still a lot more than that. Come up with some uses on your own. Give some feedback on what you think.

If you're really considering getting one:

Flare gun: Flare Pistol, CZECH Model VZ44, 26.5mm w/ Holster, Lanyard, Cleaning Rod & Brush Gun Parts | 1431630 | Numrich Gun Parts

Adapter purchase locations:

Cheaper Than Dirt: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZWA-622

Mississippi Auto Arms: http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/4...700f0809a44b4c
    Last edited by DerMilchmann; 03-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
    rogertc1 and Flinger like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1235 times
    Looked at one made from a section of. 45 caliber barrel several years ago. Guy made it for snakes and it was about a foot long. The rifled barrel threw about a 12 to 18 inch pattern at 10 to 15 feet. Worked great for what he made it for.

Member #
    Liked
    2425 times
    DerMilchmann,

I have a friend who is a good gunsmith but prone to doing crazy things at times. He
    was telling me about experimenting with firing 10 gauge shotgun shells with a flare
    gun he acquired (without an adapter) He said the first couple of shells shot great
    but the third one didn't, then he showed me the powder burns he had all over his
    torso. I think your idea has potential and it would make a good gun to keep in the
    truck or car. Let us know how your new project gun works out for you.
    Taurus: Model 66 4"
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder
    Model 617 2"
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2"
    PT-92 AF

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Interesting!

OP, thanks for the write-up and the links. I may consider one of those.
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    BTW, when you get the chance, give as a range report.
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I'll be sure to make a range report. I'm pretty sure it'll throw birdshot everywhere with that rifling, but I think buffered buckshot may act differently, like some of the Federal loads out of the Judge.

I went ahead and popped some primed .410 and .45 Colt, and the thing works fine. No punctured primers, and they went off just fine. All very exciting so far.

I'm thinking of tapping it for a shotgun bead, because why not? Could be fun.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    This has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile. Definitely keep us updated on how things go. How much was the kit to swap it to .410? I went to the website, but it wasn't there.
    - Jon Bell

"I'm so new to this, that if I make it out with all 20 tiny appendages, I'll be rather impressed."

Taurus PT-92AF 9mm
    Beretta PX4 Storm Compact .40
    Savage 15-A Bolt-action/single-shot .22LR
    H&R Pardner Protector 12 ga. pump shotgun
    Colt LE6920 AR-15 .223/5.56

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsAndSoap View Post
    This has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile. Definitely keep us updated on how things go. How much was the kit to swap it to .410? I went to the website, but it wasn't there.
    The kit was $60 off of CheaperThanDirt. They carry them, but there's also a few other sites if you're not a CTD fan. I edited the original post to include these links for sale.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    924 times
    I have three 26.5mm flare guns. I have a insert for each one. 22LR, 38 Special and 45C/410. Why not. Mine are legal but it may depend on where you live. Lot of crazy laws out there. (Too bad the 12GA insert is for 12 Gage flares only.)
    Here is another link where i got the 38.:
    New ! GaugeMate Flare

A little expensive but it is fun is to get a BP pistol and get a conversion cylinder for it. Have to grind a little on the pistol. I made 4.
    http://www.kirstkonverter.com/
    BP pistols here
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...%3BBRprd705740
    again expensive but no registration unless you sell it as a cartrage gun. Can always be seperated.
    Last edited by rogertc1; 03-07-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I always wanted to get a black powder revolver and convert it for cartridges. I had my eyes on a New Model Pocket Remington reproduced by Pietta, with one of the steel frames so it'd be suitable for conversion to .32 S&W Long. The cylinders for them, however, are not cheap. Kind of unfortunate, but oh well. Nobody that I am aware of makes cartridge-accepting versions of many of these guns.

As for that .38 converter, good job in finding it. I was wondering why there wasn't one around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links