Taurus Firearm Forum banner

S&W Sigma SW40VE .40SW Black/Stainless

5K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  leejack 
#1 ·
Any one own one? Anything good or bad would be helpful. I have the chance to pick one up slightly used (@ 60 rounds fired) for $200.00. Current owner does not like the snappy recoil and is looking to get a 9mm after he sells it.

Reactions: leejack
#2 ·
#3 ·
Get it. You'll love it once you get used to the trigger.

Absolutely reliable. Great ergonomics.

I miss the one I had.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: Wino
#5 ·
The SW40VE is my bedside gun. My first handguns were revolvers, so I never minded the heavy DAO trigger. The .40 is a "snappy" round, but I never ended up with a sore hand firing that weapon. I have NEVER had a malfunction with that gun. Trigger control and recoil control and you will love it.

#6 ·
I shot a friends last spring, which was about 6 months old at the time. I had heard of complaints about the trigger on the Sigma, but being used to a Gen 2 PT145 DAO, I found the trigger very friendly as well as the gun in general and how it shot. $200 for a handgun not in your name is a great value....jump on it!

#7 ·
Buy it. The VE was the improved version and corrected alot of the trigger complaints (but not ALL) of the first gen. Sigma's. They are also more reliable than the earlier version. It was the precursor to the SD line which is a Sigma/M&P hybrid of sorts.

#8 ·
I researched buying one (before I got my PT92). Everything I read or heard is that it is a solid gun. Good quality and reliability. The trigger is set up for self defense (long deliberate trigger), and not target shooting. My wife and I own 3 Smith and Wesson firearms. I like them as a company.

#9 ·
Very reliable and comfortable to shoot. If you don't like the trigger, check out Apex Tactical for a different spring to lighten it up a little. It is also very easy to work on if you want to do some polishing to smooth out the action. It is basically a Glock 23 knock off with better ergos (IMO), and worse trigger. If you are right handed, any M&P holster will work with them as well.

#21 · (Edited)
Exactly! And i believe S&W was even sued by glock for making this glock knock-off. I owned a SW40V one of the first, and like others said the trigger was also not to my liking, but the deal breaker was the fail to feeds, and fail to fires I had, along with mag drops. So rather putting anymore time into the gun I just sent it down the road.

#10 ·
Better hurry. I just got in the car and am headed out there to buy it if you don't....

I've heard all great from actual owners. Don't listen to the haters.

#12 ·
Buy it!

I bought a brand new one about a year ago. At first I had problems with it not ejecting properly. I sent it to S&W. they fixed it an I haven't had a problem since. I replaced a couple of the trigger springs and it is perfect now. I love mine. YouTube has videos on how to improve the trigger.

#15 ·
I own one and as far as accuracy and reliability go it's been 100% in both categories. The trigger pull is a bit on the heavy side but not at all unmanageable, especially for those who are accustomed to shooting revolvers. I just need to get more magazines for mine, it only came with 1.

#16 ·
I have the 9mm and it is incredibly reliable, although I'm not fond of the trigger. But you get used to it. My son got a sticky from a forum (don't remmy which one) that did help with the trigger. He is using it as his truck gun. Other than the trigger, the reliability and mag capacity make it one heck of a pistol.

#18 ·
WOW, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear these comments.

I'm one of those crazy people who loves the sigma.

Three positives I'd like to point out:

1. simple

2. timex reliablity

3. ergonomics second to none

The new SD9VE is on my short list.

#19 ·
Here's a look at the 9mm, the 40's are ugly. :D (just kidding) :D

Reactions: PATRONE and celt
#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info on this, I will check with him when I see him this week and will probably grab it if he still has it. My brother-in-law is also interested in it, so between the two of us I'm sure one of us will get it. Worse case I sell it for at least what I have in it. I think it comes with 2 or 3 mags, can't remember.

#23 ·
His wife won't let it go for less then $250.00 he said he is in the dog house for trying to sell it for $200.00. Now I really have to decide if I want to add a new caliber to the rotation. At $200.00 it was an easier decision, I may have to pass on this one for now. I told him don't wait on me, if he finds a buyer sell it, I’ll let fate make the decision for me.

#31 ·
Just a thought for your consideration: If this deal isn't quite right, consider the new SD_VE (9 or 40). This gun replaced both the mighty sigma and the SD. They sell for the same price as the old sigma ($299 new at Academy). All reports say it has a better trigger than the sigma (Smith says 8 lbs and consistant).

The ergonomics on these guns are not even on the chart, it's as if they made the entire gun while somebody was holding it.

The sigma (and SD) are the timex watch or eveready bunny of guns. The SD9VE will be mine as soon as I can free up the bucks. ;)

Keep us posted!

#27 ·
Absolutely great guns, and $250 is not a bad price, I'd be all over it like a bucket of Sherwin-Williams.

I have two in 9mm, one in 40, plus I sold/gave one to my son for his wife to carry. They all shoot with utter reliability and precision. If you have ANY experience with a double-action revolver trigger, the Sigma will feel just right at home for you.

Flash

Reactions: leejack
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.