Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fat Boy...ATI that is

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10356 times

Fat Boy...ATI that is

Anyone have any experiance with the ATI Fat Boy pistol? It is a 1911 of sorts, I mean it is a 1911 but it looks a little weird, well not weird, just different. I have a Cold Defender and a Springfield Ulta V10 both in stainless. And while I am not sure about the appearance of the ATI Fat Boy, I do like the idea of a 12 round magazine on a compact carry 1911 .45 pistol.

If you have anything to share I would sure be interested.
    Thanks
    Boogers are a lot like Birthdays. The more you have the harder it is to breathe.

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Whew!! That was a close call. I thought you had a range report that was gonna make me go buy another gun.

I did some looking at those a while ago, and they've had good reviews. They take the Para Hawg (?) mags, and the sales guys so far have said the internals are Mil-Spec/drop in 1911, but I can't vouch for that. Since there are no grips to swap, I'm not entirely comfortable with it. For a similar size and capacity, yet much lighter, I'm happy with the 24/7G2C-45. That said, at some point, since it is a 1911 variant, it still could find a home here, but its just not at the top of my shopping list. I look forward to learning more about them.
    Southern4x4 likes this.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    14867 times
    I played with them a few different times at the the gun shows. The grip is steel/alloy and feels kind of strange. No grip panels if I remember correctly. I went with the PT-145 instead.
    olfarhors and Southern4x4 like this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10356 times
    That is kind of my concern, I haven't found one to handle. And without the option of being able to change grips if it doesn't feel right in my hand I am concerned of owning a 1911 like pistol that I won't care to carry. And the market on them doesn't appear to be great enough to provide a quick venue for resell if that was the case.
    Boogers are a lot like Birthdays. The more you have the harder it is to breathe.

Member #
    Liked
    6582 times
    Yea, I am kind of out to lunch on these as well!
    I have handled a couple but never shot one.
    they are thin (for a stacked mag 45 acp), I think i would likely go for one of the really compact stacked magazine para 's in slightly used condition myself?
    but then again as you know i am an addict---sooo!
    IF its nearby and I need a fix hell who knows what i may drag home??--sad i know!!!
    I could have picked up a stacked used para 45 compact yesterday for 475, in good condition!!
    likely should have at that price!
    Southern4x4 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1563 times
    Interesting, I'd love to shoot one.

Member #
    Liked
    1202 times
    Check over at 1911forum.com if you haven't already and see if there is any info that might help. I have read about some issues with the ATI titan and don't know if it translates.

Member #
    Liked
    6582 times
    The only real complaint that i have heard on the titan was recoil assembly problems in early production weapons, ATI generally has a better quality and fit & Finish than Rock Island, I know between my 2 ATI and my 1 Rock the ATI were better across the board in function and finish and shooting quality, my Rock was the upgrade tactical as well.
    after a bit of work the Rock operates very nicely now.
    I have seen absouletely no reports on the fat boy be it good or bad.
    and more importantly I know of no one that owns one to recieve a fair report on it.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    59 times

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10356 times
    Interesting review, seemed to be right down the middle. No real praise, no real negatives. Did say that ATI really pushed the border of being a true 1911, but did fall within the guidelines of being a 1911. Did find it interesting that the double wide stack mag didn't cause the over all grip to be any wider than that of a standard 1911 with grip panels.

I am high bidder on a used (50 round demo) Fat Boy at $400 which is not meeting the reserve. His BIN price is $440 plus $20 shipping to my FFL, I think I am all in at $400. Reviews while being positive in feedback, just don't offer enough over the top praise to make me want to spend the extra $40 to take a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links