Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I am curious, which pistol has the least recoil?

It can be any pistol, including revolvers but excluding the .22 caliber.

I currently have 24/7 Pro 9mm but I visit the shooting range with my g/f and she sorta would like less recoil. I want her to practice shooting, she doesn't have any firearm history or training except what I have shown her. She enjoyed shooting the Sig Mosquito .22cal but minus the hard single action trigger pull (that I didn't even like).
    I would like to stay away from the .22 cal, but .32 cal .38 is my choice calibers.
    Of which the .38 is most common but I am open to all suggestions.

The ideal barrel length is 4" to 4.5" max.

I would like the price to be under or around $400, but if there is quality there can be exceptions so just list the ones w/ the least recoil and a trigger a female can handle.
    THANKS
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm SS
    Browning Buckmark Camper .22LR

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: I am curious, which pistol has the least recoil?

My wife has a beretta model 84 in .380 that she finds very soft shooting, and shoots very well. For a woman, my wife has medium hands, I tried to get her a Beretta Cougar 8000, but she went back to the 84. Taurus made a version of the model 84 also, and if your g/f has REALLY small hands, there is the model 85, a single stack in .380. That's the lightest caliber I'd reccomend for a defensive pistol, and it's a pretty nice little piece.

If you go for revolvers, my wife was really fond of her 4" Ruger Service Six in .357 magnum, loaded with 38spl +P. The wooden grip those came with was very slim/small, and easy for most women and small handed shooters to grip. Recoil on that piece also seemed to "roll" up a little, instead of shove back. She shot that one well, but preferred the autoloader. She didn't like my S&W revolvers, Taurus model 85 4", Taurus 92, Glocks, or my 1911.

Just find a range with a LOT of rentals, or invite some friends shooting and let her try a few other guns on for size. When my wife was interested in shooting, I took 9 guns to the range, and let her shoot all of them. Took 4 nights to clean them all, but she found one she liked.

James

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3708 times

Try to find a Colt Government Model .380 ACP. They are getting pricey, having been discontinued. However, there's a reason for the demand. They are a locked breech .380, instead of the blow-back action of most .380 ACP pistols. Recoil is mitigated considerably by the energy taken to cycle the gun. It's also a smallish handgun.

You might want to look into the new Federal .327 Magnum pistol from Ruger, as well. While some of the loads are pretty hot, the standard loads are mild. Built on an SP-101 frame, they are also easy to grip for small hands. You can use .32 S&W Long for a no-recoil load, or the .32 H&R Magnum for an intermediate level of recoil.

"The past is another country, he did things differently there."

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10182 times

I picked up one of these the other day, it has no felt recoil......

You do get a nasty sting on your hand if your ammo is too tight though.....
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13337 times

That your carry piece, texastaurusguy?
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2946 times

Most 32 pistols that I have shot, had a very heavy trigger pull,even though recoil was light. Revolvers also generally have a heavy double action trigger pull. You can find lower recoil 38Spl ammo, it's just a matter of shopping around and trying different brands. Having said all that, a 380 might be the way to go. Except for racking the slide, it might be an easier firearm for her to handle.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny,

I still plan to vote.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10182 times

Darn tootin' !! I save alot of money on ammo..... :P
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy
    Darn tootin' !! I save alot of money on ammo..... :P
    I bet! :P
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm SS
    Browning Buckmark Camper .22LR

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4665 times

Wow Texas thats the repeater model and the wood grain is perfect you got a deal on that one
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

I'm not sure that you can reduce the recoil of a service size 9mm a whole lot more and stay in a defensive caliber.

My first thought was to find a used 22 pistol (I'd look for a Ruger myself) for, say $200 and spend the rest on a used Bersa 380 or some other used, inexpensive pistol for defensive purposes.

The other idea that just popped into my head was to try and find a steel framed 9mm service pistol since the 24/7 has a polymer frame. S&W made many different models over the years. Plus you have the option of single or double stack mags so you should be able to find something that will fit. Even if you have her hold an aluminum frame gun there is probably a steel framed version out there. The drawback to these is that they will have a magazine safety (if that matters to you).
    A quick scan of my CDNN catalog shows a 5906 (4" barrel, 15rd mag, ambi safety, traditional double action) in stainless with either fixed, adjustable or night sights for $300 to $340 (depending on grade/condition) plus shipping and FFL fees. They also have listed new 5906 and a 6906 (3.5", 12 rd mag, fixed sights, traditional double action) for $400. You could probably get a used 5906 and a couple of quality spare mags for your $400 price range.
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html Sorry but they don't list the prices in the downloaded one.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links