Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: NEWS STORY: George Zimmerman's gun: 9 mm from Cocoa lightweight and lethal

Member #
    Liked
    18277 times

NEWS STORY: George Zimmerman's gun: 9 mm from Cocoa lightweight and lethal

SOURCE:
    George Zimmerman's gun Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman's gun: a 9mm designed for self-defense - Orlando Sentinel

George Zimmerman's gun: 9 mm from Cocoa lightweight and lethal

By Rene Stutzman and Henry Pierson Curtis, Orlando Sentinel

11:58 a.m. EST, May 15, 2012

Name:  trayvon-martin-guns-compari.jpg
Views: 5882
Size:  162.7 KB

PF9 compared to a GLOCK

The handgun George Zimmerman used to kill Trayvon Martin is a lightweight, inexpensive 9 mm semiautomatic manufactured in Cocoa.
    The Kel-Tec 9 mm PF-9 is one of the lightest, thinnest 9 mm guns on the market ó a gun so small and light you can carry it in your pocket undetected.

Zimmerman wore it on a holster inside his waistband, according to a police report. That's where it was when Sanford police arrived Feb. 26 and found Zimmerman standing near the body of Trayvon Martin, a black 17-year-old he had just shot. The unarmed teenager was facedown in the grass.
    Zimmerman told police he acted in self-defense. He has since been charged with second-degree murder.
    His handgun, now locked away as evidence, is one of 140,000 PF-9s in use, said Derek Kellgren, Kel-Tec's marketing director. The company sells 15,000 to 20,000 a year, helping make it one of the top five handgun manufacturers in the U.S., he said.
    "It is not a police-duty gun. It is not a target pistol. It is not made for hunting," said Sean Caranna, executive director of Florida Carry, a nonprofit group that lobbies for the right of gun owners to carry sidearms in the open. "It is a self-defense firearm."
    Translation: It's designed to shoot people at short range.
    The gun's biggest selling point is its small size. It's less than an inch wide and when fully loaded weighs just 18 ounces, less than half the weight of a conventional 9 mm.
    "I like the way it feels. I like the way it shoots. It's comfortable in my hand," said Nikki Epps, a supervisor who works on the Kel-Tec assembly line and has used one for three years.
    It was designed to be hidden.
    "When you carry a full-sized weapon, they get heavy. You get sweaty," said Kellgren. "Most people just carry [this gun] all day."
    It retails for $330 to $390, according to its manufacturer.
    John Harvey, owner of Oak Ridge Gun Range in south Orange County, said he sells "a lot of 'em."
    "It's a small, compact, easy-to-carry 9 mm," he said. "It's handy. It's safe."
    The gun holds eight rounds ó one in the chamber and seven in a magazine. Its trigger pull is 5 pounds, the amount of force someone must apply to fire off a round.
    Kel-Tec had no information on where Zimmerman bought his gun. Reuters reported that he purchased it in 2009 after a pit bull began roaming the neighborhood and cornered his wife.
    Single fatal shot
    Zimmerman killed Trayvon with a single shot to the chest from close range, according to Sanford police.
    In searching for evidence, police recovered a single bullet casing, they told the Sentinel. The bullet remained inside Trayvon's body.
    Zimmerman told police that he had been following Trayvon on foot but had lost sight of him and turned back toward his SUV. The teenager then confronted him, punched him and a struggle ensued, police said Zimmerman told them.
    Zimmerman told authorities that during their fight, Trayvon tried to cover Zimmerman's mouth with his hand and tried to pull the handgun away from him.

Harvey, the gun-shop owner, said a gun like Zimmerman's is "certainly going to stop a fight. Ö It's not a toy. It's a pretty powerful gun."
    It's not clear what kind of ammunition Zimmerman used, but Caranna said the most popular for that type of gun is hollow-point bullets. They are designed to expand once they hit a target and do more tissue damage.
    Gun advocates say they're a good, safe choice because they stay in their intended target, don't ricochet and don't hit other things, such as bystanders.

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    I was good with the article until the end when they started in on what type of ammo he was using. And then going as far to say "hollow point type bullets". Of course they were hollow points. And the ammo used shouldnt even be a concern of anyone, if it flys out of the barrel of a firearm it has the potential to KILL you regardless of what kind of actual bullet it is.

The only easy day, was yesterday!

GUNS: My right to own them is what protects your right to express that I can't.
    Get off your @$$ and vote NOBAMA in 2012!
    M1911A1: The original point and click application.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24002 times
    Reading that story makes it obvious it was written by someone who doesn't understand firearms or self defense. Note the authors translation for Self Defense Firearm. "It's designed to shoot people at short range." She makes it sound like the term self defense firearm is some secret code word for what every gun owner really desires to do. Well how about reporting this sweetheart; If Travon Martin had continued to mind his own business and not decided to fight with George Zimmerman, he'd still be alive today! It's the bad decisions that people make that get themselves or others killed, it's not the guns fault.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    6867 times
    This is an unfortunate situation for all involved as well as those that do carry a firearm and use common sense in everyday life!
    No one except for one individual knows the truth as to what happened.
    Likey the truth is somewhere between the two accounts and accusations made.
    IT seems to me that a couple of people made some really bad decisions in this incident.
    while i would lkely watch a suspicous person in my neighborhood (call 911)and might even follow them , it would be at several hundred feet away not giving them the opportunity to tackle or hit me , and certainly if I was being followed by a stranger then i would not confront them face to face and then attack them.
    no winners here!
    I agee that the type of gun , or ammunition, has little if any factor in this !
    thats kind of like watching the plane fly into the twin towers and saying"did you notice the wheels were down?" kind of missing the big picture here!
    Last edited by olfarhors; 05-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    21016 times
    Rock beats Scissors.

PF-9 beats SKITTLES...

daytonaredeye and scrabtree6 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    122 times
    After reading the article, I was left with the impression that the writer was trying to imply that the weapon was in someway used for covert activities. Not the norm based on its size and power. Used for a specific purpose, which made me feel that the writing was slightly biased against Mr. Zimmerman for carrying it. This is unfortunate since we in the gun rights community no better. We know that many weapons of this size are designed for a wide variety of people including women. It can be argued that any firearm could be used for self defense under certain circumstances. The type of ammo used shouldn't matter because all would be effective at short range.

What troubles me more, once again is the media attempting to trial this case in the public arena.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDeputy View Post
    SOURCE: Zimmerman told police that he had been following Trayvon on foot but had lost sight of him and turned back toward his SUV. The teenager then confronted him, punched him and a struggle ensued, police said Zimmerman told them.
    Zimmerman told authorities that during their fight, Trayvon tried to cover Zimmerman's mouth with his hand and tried to pull the handgun away from him.
    This statement although self serving is from the person (alive) who has the most to loose. It may or may not be the truthful, but that's why we have trials. When all of the evidence is brought out in court only a jury of his peers who are of fair mind will decide his faith. The media on both sides of the coin has crossed way over the line for rating. The Sharptons and Hannitys of media don't care about us. They care about rating and what will increase viewership. Both have been guilty of talking with fork tongue so when I watch them (which is rare) I do so knowing this in advance. This type of news coverage is opinionated. It does nothing but breeds distrust in this country. This case hurts all citizens who carry legally regardless of how the verdict comes down. Biggz
    Last edited by Biggz; 05-15-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10811 times
    I thought the 9mm would just bounce off of somebody's chest..... At least thats what I've read.

I trust my PF9 completely. Its never misfired or had a failure of any kind. I'm not sure about the "fits in a pocket easily" statement, it would need to be a big pocket, like cargo pants big.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    4505 times
    I still dont understand why this story is such big news. If the media had only known Zimmerman was hispanic before they blew it up into national news we would not even know who Zimmerman is.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Great Bloomburg will be going after pocket pistols now like they're salt licks in a NYC restaurant.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10396 times
    USAF Veteran '72-'80 SSGT, Texas ANG '83-'84 SSGT., ARO WA1UFE since 1974,NRA Member
    24/7 Pro LS DS 9mm 17+1,Ares Armor "Casper" AR-15 5.56/.223 16" barrel 1:9 twist, Nikon P-223 4-12X 40mm. Scope
    Stevens Arms Westpoint Model 121 .22S,L,LR SS Bolt Action, Crosman CenterPoint 4-16X 40mm. Scope
    Mosin Nagant 1942 KO-91/30 7.62X54R, Slavia Model 618 .177 pellet SS break barrel
    Mossberg Maverick 88 12 Gauge Pump NcStar 2-7X 32mm. Pistol Scope

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links