Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S&W SD40 vs. SW SW40VE

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times

S&W SD40 vs. SW SW40VE

Well, there has been some chat on the forum lately about the Sigma, and that's a good thing, because I was thinking about buying a used one. Well, I went to my LGS today and handled both the SW40VE and the SD40 side by side. There is not even a comparison.

The ergos on the SD are a little bit better, but the trigger is worlds apart. The SD trigger is sweet! The LGS told me it's the same trigger as the M&P, and it sure feels like it. Plus the SD has a tritium front sight that the 40VE does not have. I think I might plop down the extra $100 and buy the SD....
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17124 times
    I say if you like the SD that much better, by all means go for it, I'd love to have one myself.

As far as the trigger goes, what the LGS told you is total BS (imagine that from a gun store).

The SD trigger is, according to the manufacturer approximently 8lbs vs. the 10-12 lbs of the sigma.

It is however much, much more like the sigma than it is the M&P.

I think it would be a teriffic gun to have knowing of the improvements it has vs. the sigma.

Let us know if you get it.
    Scrat likes this.
    I propose federal funding to eliminate America's most terrible disease......Stupidity!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4022 times
    I like the looks of the SD. If I were in need of a gun in that class, I would seriously consider it.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1265 times
    If they would dump the costy front sight on the SD and just slide in some M&P sights then I might buy the SD.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    1956 times
    I have a 9VE. I'd prefer the SD given the chance.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    887 times
    Get what you like and by all means what you feel comfortable with. For me, my 9ve trigger is now as good as a SD9. After, putting a 1,500 plus rounds through it, coupled with polishing metal to metal contact points and a little spring work the trigger is now, IMO, good as an SD9. However, if you prefer the black slide and the front site you may justify the extra $100.

BTW, my experience with sigmas is that the trigger pull is not always the same between pistols. My 40ve was a tad bit lighter and a lot smoother than my 9ve out of the box. That has now changed.

I recently tried a guy's brand new 40ve at the range and found the trigger to be a lot heavier and bit more gritty than any of mine. Iím sure the newness had something to do with it. I told him he cant hurt the thing so shoot the crap out of it!
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I have a sigma .40 and an sd9 both are great guns and both have advantages over the other seems to me the best way to determine wich one you would like best would be to rent them both and shoot both and pick wich one you like best
    leejack likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Just my opinion but I believe the M&P is a much better handgun and really not that much more cash. From what I've read they are going to be ending production of the Sigma and I believe they are dropping prices on them because of that. If that means anything to you or not, that's up to you...
    "A Nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a Master and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Member #
    Liked
    5537 times
    Get the one that meets you needs and pocket book the best.

SIGMAs were improved over time and there are people who own them and have good reasons to like them.

SDs are a upgrade of a proven design. If that works for you,fine. No problem. Go for it.

If you can wait the M&P is a bit better design. If not the SIGMA or SD will work well for you.

I bought a Rossi 462,six shot .357 magnum snub revolver first because Colt,S&W and Taurus did not have 6 shot snubs. I never regretted it and have no reason to do so.

I did procur a Taurus 856, six shot snub, when Taurus finally got around to filling the niche. It works for me a bit better all around than the Rossi, but that's just one case and a example.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5114 times

Sigma .40

I bought a Sigma a few years back because it was on sale; $275. I could not wait to get rid of it after just one trip to the range. The trigger pull was awful. I love my PT100, its a much better weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links