Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: RIA vs. American Tactical 1911.... your thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    3908 times

RIA vs. American Tactical 1911.... your thoughts?

So I went to another LGS today to take a look at 1911's again and I saw a couple RIA's & American Tactical's for sale, $429 - $469. In terms of looks, both are nearly identical 70 series pistols. I'm not looking to break the bank or get commemorative series guns, just want to know what you guys think is the more reliable weapon. I also saw a S&W revolver in .45 ACT used for $475 that's a possible buy. But for the sake of this discussion, i'm focusing on the 1911's.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I have a couple RIA GI's, they are the best bang for the buck IMHO.
    JerryMac likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    I've heard great things on both guns, the RIA is made by armscor and the ATI is made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing, both are philopino guns. Shooters arms also makes the American Classic 1911s sold by Bersa. IMO the RIA seems to usually be more of a basic 1911 and the shooters arms tend to be more loaded up. Really though the philopinos make great 1911s, ironic since it was made to kill them 100 years ago :P I'd look at the American Classics also they have bersas warrenty I believe and with them you just deal with a local shop that services bersa firearms. I kinda would like an american classic commander side 1911 cause they use this pretty high polish bluing on them instead of a military parkerizing. AMC ACC45B AMCLS CMMDR 45 1911 8R BL $497.00 SHIPS FREE I appreciate the hammer and grip safety on it, and the novak style sites so it should be easy to swap in nightsites if I'd ever want to.
    JerryMac likes this.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Member #
    Kentuckie, n yea, we wear shoes with our guns :)
    Liked
    43 times
    I ended up with a RIA a few months back after doing some trading at a local gun show, and I am glad i did, it has turned into a really reliable and good shooter. I have 3 other 1911s and this one will shoo with any of them. at a fraction of the cost..... RIA gets my vote, am actually calling about an officers compact model tomorrow.....if it is priced right I will own another ..
    As I get older and my eyes get oldre with me, I see the madness behind crimson trace.....

Asked my stock broker what I should be investing in .... he replied.....canned goods n ammo ......

I show my Kimber to my friends..... what I do not show is the Taurus in my cc holster.....

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Yep it's all in what you want I think you'd do well with either one, RIA/Armscor is abit more well known though, me personally I like the ATI/Bersa guns but it all boils down to personal preference. You prolly see 2 or 3 RIA's for any 1 ATI or bersa 1911 out there though.

Member #
    Liked
    3908 times
    I was leaning more towards the RIA as i've heard alot of good things about them, and a basic 1911 is more to my taste than anything else. I don't need rails since they're unimportant on handguns IMO. They had a few Taurus 1911's there also, but the price being nearly $200 higher is what scaled my decision back a bit. Though that duo-tone model looks pretty darn sweet. I'm sure it won't be my last 1911, but the two choices I put out seem to be a good start. I guess the real determination will come Thursday evening depending on what's left and how the grip safety feels in hand. Since I have large hands, depressing them shouldn't be much of a problem at all.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    20970 times
    RIA's are fine guns, I've owned them in the past and recommend them all the time.

ATI, the new kid on the block comes from Turkish company that is ISO9001 rated, which is an engineering standard that isn't easy to get.

So much so that Beretta and CZ have some of their shotguns made there.

So anyone chosing an ATI gun should do well.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    Some ATI guns are Turkish made the 1911s are made by these guys though... Shooters Arms Manufacturing Incorporated

Member #
    Liked
    972 times
    I carry an RIA 1911 in officers size. It is one of the finest handguns I have ever owned at ANY cost and I have had some expensive semi-autos. I also own a Charles Daly 1911 EFS Target in stainless (full size) that is one of the most accurate handguns and I would put it up against ANY custom shop 1911 for accuracy.

Name:  RIA.jpg
Views: 5045
Size:  140.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    6861 times
    well kind of depends on which RIA that we are comparing!
    I lean to the ATI as they are a better finished pistol, and have better sights, a biggy for me as GI sights are totally useless, well I guess not totally i could put a big gouge in someones head by hitting them with the gun, but with my withering eyesight i need something better than GI sights.
    RIA's seem to have quite a following though.
    Zylo_X likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links