Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kg-99

Member #
    Liked
    339 times

Kg-99

I hope I do not kick myself for doing this later but I bought a Interdynamic KG-99 (9mm) semi-auto for $250. Came with a thirty-two round mag and a soft case. The guy claimed a retired state trooper gave it to him for some work on his new AK47. I told him to throw in some WWB and he said yes so I bought it. From what I know Interdynamic AB of Sweden was the first company Kelgren started before moving on to Kel-Tec. Intratec was started by a guy named Garcia after Kelgren sold his half of the company.

Kelgren started Interdynamic in Sweden and designed the original fully-automatic KG-9 (open-bolt) for the South African Government during apartheid. When they failed to produce it he hooked up with Garcia in Florida to create the KG-9. Now the KG-9 was open-bolt and people here where illegally making them fully auto so the BATF told them to either change the bolt or stop making it. That is when they created the KG-99 which is closed-bolt and blow-back design.

Kelgren was still on top of quality control while with Interdynamics and we all know Kel-Tec makes some of the best American-made firearms. My particular model is a "Mini" which is even rarer. The full sized has a longer barrel and barrel shroud. I would estimate it was produced no later than 1984 which makes this twenty-seven years old. As you can see it looks like it just came out of the factory.

If it was a regular Intratec I would not have bought it because Garcia didn't know squat about quality control and it shows on the Tec-9s. For example after Kelgren sold-out the company Garcia started making cost cutting changes and started tact-wielding the sights on Tec-9, DCM-9, and AB-10. If you look at my sights they are not tact-wielded and it looks brand new almost. The barrel is threaded and is compatible with Ingram, Mac-10, or Cobray Suppressors.
    Name:  kg99.jpg
Views: 4262
Size:  278.0 KB

I remember somebody asking about how to shoot these:

Name:  kg-99-1.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  87.3 KB

Warranty Information, Malfunction, Service (Non-existent)

Name:  kg-99-2.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by Long_Shot; 11-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4113 times
    Now that is a very interesting acquisition, LongShot.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Thanks chich, I think I got a good deal on it. Open-bolt KG-9s are going for $2000+ on Gunbroker. So for me this was the next best thing, KG-99s are going for around $400+ on Gunbroker and that is in fair condition. Lets just hope it shoots as good as it looks. I might order this faux suppressor with muzzle break from FTF Industries:

http://www.ftfindustries.com/RP-5FH-V.JPG

Name:  RP-5FH-V.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  26.7 KB

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    KG-99 by Interdynamic AB, it is in excellent condition. Easy to field strip and clean going to paint the receiver and add a fake suppressor. The magazine holds something like 32 rounds but I cant count that high. J/K this is a fine pistol and so rare I might have to hold on to this one. It was made no later than 1985 so that makes it 26 years old. Everything inside looked great I do not think its ever been fired.

Name:  IMG_0240.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  440.2 KB Name:  kg-992.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  283.1 KBName:  IMG_0241.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  382.5 KB Name:  kg991.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  177.4 KB
    Last edited by Long_Shot; 11-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4113 times
    Good pics. I'm sure most people wouldn't be interested in a gun like that, but I'm strangely fascinated by it.

Can't wait to hear how it shoots.
    rodfair and jwc007 like this.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1540 times
    Great find that is in excellent shape like you said it looks like it came strait out of the box unfired. Congrats.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    U.S. Navy (92-97)
    USS Alabama (SSBN 731) blue crew
    USS Philadelphia (SSN 690)

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    I'm sure most people wouldn't be interested in a gun like that, but I'm strangely fascinated by it.
    It is more or less a vintage novelty/collector's item, its a "niche" market for people who collect stuff from the 80's. There was a lot of controversy behind them which is really a shame, its an interesting piece to say the least. The polymer frame is very durable...there were only like 2000 KG-99 "Mini's" made. I can sell it for profit hopefully if I wish to do so but well have to test fire it first.

These sights are fixed correct? I noticed the rear sight was to the right but that could have been centered with the barrel from the factory?

Name:  IMG_0242-1.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  408.1 KB
    Last edited by Long_Shot; 11-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10810 times
    Not a piece I would have gone looking for, However if I had come across it at that price. I would have jumped all over it. Great find and purchase. That one is better than money in the market, you should be guaranteed a profitable return on your investment.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    Not a piece I would have gone looking for, However if I had come across it at that price. I would have jumped all over it. Great find and purchase. That one is better than money in the market, you should be guaranteed a profitable return on your investment.
    I am glad you agree about the re-sale value, I more or less found it by accident when checking out FFL inventory online. I found a range that allows "Rapid Firing" can you believe it so we can really run some test on this and see what it can do. I let it soak in CLP and it is spot-less and lubed ready to go.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Long_Shot View Post
    I am glad you agree about the re-sale value, I more or less found it by accident when checking out FFL inventory online. I found a range that allows "Rapid Firing" can you believe it so we can really run some test on this and see what it can do. I let it soak in CLP and it is spot-less and lubed ready to go.
    We will be waiting to hear a report on how it goes!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links