Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    12282 times

Kahr CM9 with Dawson Precision Tritium

I wasn't real crazy about a polymer front sight on my new CM9, so last week I ordered a tritium inserted Dawson Precision front sight to replace it with. On my first trip to the range it looked to me like the pistol shot very high - but that was shooting at tin cans. I should know better by now than to use dirt to gauge where my sights are looking. Today I shot paper, and it turns out it was hitting a bit to the left, but basically right on the money in terms of elevation - and that held true for the three different types of ammo I fired. But I digress...

The CM9 has a staked in polymer front sight, and a dovetailed rear sight that's made out of steel. I thought the rear was polymer too, but a magnet just told me it's definitely made out of metal. The front sight being staked, and the funky dovetail Kahr uses on the rear means you have limited choices for replacements. Luckily there's Dawson Precision. Their tritium inserted front is basically the same size as the stocker, and it stakes into the same holes. DP even includes a staking tool with the sight, along with illustrated instructions. Installation took about ten minutes, and after firing 100 rounds I see no sign of it moving, so I'm pretty confident it isn't going to shoot off. The sight itself is .125" wide, compared to the .144" wide polymer stocker, and that makes for a better sight picture IMHO. Here's one of Dawson's pics of the front -

It actually matches up real well with the stock Kahr rear. For some reason their white vertical stripe on the rear works really well with the DP to get the vertical alignment right. Still, I am tempted to go the full monty and order a Dawson Precision two dot rear tritium. I just like the looks, as well as the functionality.

Last edited by dbeardslee; 07-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3868 times
    Nice. I tend to need thinner front sights, too. Older eyes and all. Plus, I'm partial to only tritium up front. Again, older eyes.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Ever since I was standing in the back yard, in the pitch black with a thick fog all around, and heard seven gunshots from no more than 100 yards away, I too have had an affinity for tritium up front. I had fiber optics installed that particularly evening, and that's when I discovered they're totally useless in the dark. I figure tritium up front is all you really need, but I like the height of the DP rear, and it lengthens the sight radius by 1/2". Plus it just looks cool.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    There you go, posting more pics of the "Temptress". Gotta get me one!

Member #
    Liked
    6140 times
    I always find it interesting that a lot of people don't like the Hienie straight eight sights but don't have a problem with the Kahr, what i call dash and dot sight system.
    neither one bothers me, actually haven't shot Kahrs enough but think the sights woudl work well for me with a bit of practice, the problems i have with them is the trigger pull, or trigger "Yank" that i seem to have with them.
    they do make a nice feeling pistol though, and not to shabby on looks either.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3868 times
    Now that you mention it, I like the dot on bar much better than dot on dot.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    Plus it just looks cool.
    True, very true.

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    I'll tell you guys something else I'm discovering about this little gem - this is without a doubt the cleanest shooting pistol I've ever seen. I still haven't figured out why, but it just doesn't dirty up like my other pistols do. And it's not just because I usually shoot .45's and this is a 9mm. My CZ75B in 9mm will get a pretty sooty muzzle with the same stuff I've been firing through the Kahr, but for some reason it only gets a bit of soot right on the end of the muzzle. Almost nothing on the sides. With the little hose-out-hole in the slide it's a breeze to clean the inside out, too. This thing continues to pleasantly surprise.

I did see my first malfunction out of it though - a stove pipe with WWB fmj's. Not worrying too much about that though - they stove pipe sometimes in my CZ too, and I think it's due to the odd under powered load. Winchester 147 gr JHP personal protection and Fiocchi 115 gr JHP's went through without a hitch. I also had a couple nose dives in one of my new 8-round mags, and a couple failure to lock back on the last round with another of the 8-rounders. No problems out of the stock 6-rounder. I attribute the nose dives to the new magazines, and the failure to lock back on the new recoil spring assembly. I worked the other spring assembly 500 times before I ever took it to the range, and I should probably do it again to weaken the recoil spring just a tad. A little smoothing on the inside of the 8-rounders, and a little slide racking should solve those issues. Course the stock 6-rounder is still dead nuts reliable.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Nice Kahr! I wish Dawson made sights for more models of firearms...
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    The pics were stock Kahr images of a CW9. Mine's a CM9 with 1/2" shorter barrel and grip, and I haven't made up my mind on replacing the rear sight yet. It's hitting pretty darn good as it sits, and my inclination is to leave it alone. Course my inclinations have been known to change - if you don't believe me just ask my ex-wife . As I mentioned, this thing is a pretty decent 25 yard plinker. I took some pics of the tin can it ate on my last outing - I fired about twenty rounds at it, and most were hits. I even managed several shots while the can was on the move. I think the best string was one shot that sent the can up near the top of the berm, and I hit it two more times while it was rolling back down. I was also shooting at a 3 lb plastic coffee can, and I don't think I missed that target at all. That's my kind of fun!

- Zen saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links