Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    13922 times

NEF R92 Revolver

Thinking of buying this NEF R92 9 shot .22 Cal Revolver, original wood grips 3 1/2 inch barrel, 9 shot, nickel finish. No cosmetic issues, very heavy double action trigger pull. Nice single action trigger pull. Will test shoot it this weekend. Anyone have one of these? Started taking my teenagers to the range with me, figured this would be a good revolver for them to practice with, and won’t cost a fortune in ammo. Any reports good or bad would be appreciated. Not sure of value, have seen a range of $75 to $200 on different sites.

Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 07-12-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Picture Links
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

E
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Re: NEF R92 Revolver

I haven't shot that exact model, but all of the NEF's and H&R's (believe they are/had been the same company at one time or another) I've had or handled have been very reliable. I inherited one of their dog-training revolvers (blanks only) that I use as a starting pistol for swim meets, and the action is very similar to the one you have pictured -- DA is stiff, even a bit awkward like there's a noticeable lag in the hammer being released and its striking the pin, but the SA is consistent. The finish is rough but durable; the gun was neglected when I got it, full of black powder residue and left in a soft case that was never fully dry after being around pool decks for a couple summers, but when I cleaned it up, I found it was more stained than really rusted or pitted. Its function was unaffected by the neglect, but then again, that barrel is a solid cylinder with no bore opening at all.

My dad favors a 7.5" 22 LR/22 mag convertible that loads like a SA but is really a DA/SA, and it's a great shooter.

The one pictured would be a great practice revolver, particularly if you could get it for under $200.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17685 times

I've never seen one of those revolvers before. It appears to be in excellent condition.

If you get it for less than $200, I'd say you did a good day's work!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The NEF revolver is pretty much the same gun as the H&R revolvers, I think they were the same company at the time those were made, I know they are now. Heres a review on the H&R version http://www.youtube.com/user/rugersix...08/b02FLmVvldo

I would definitely get one if I saw one in as good of condition as this one appears to be.
    Rossi 46103 .357mag
    Model 1908 Brazilian Mauser 7x75mm

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I just bought a 92 ultra 2 weeks ago. It's the same gun,but with adjustable sights,and larger grips.
    I paid $175 for it,but thought it was a super buy ,myself.
    They seem to be very good guns,and mine is accurate in single action,DA is going to take some getting used to.

Member #
    Liked
    5512 times

Anyone who's ever ran track and field has heard one of these go off . That particular New England Firearms/H&R .22 revolver is great for what you're looking to do with it. You should be able to pick it up for under $200.00 easy. It appears to be in great condition! Good luck!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3876 times

I'd definitely be interested in one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinkeylargo

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    13922 times

Shot this revolver over the weekend, had an unusual sight picture, only took a few rounds to get used to it. It was very accurate at 25 yards with limited test rounds. Went ahead and purchased it for the asking price of $100.00 as it is in excellent condition, I felt this was a very fair deal. I am looking forward to spending a couple of hours with it at the range this weekend. Any help on tracking down the year of manufacture for this revolver would be appreciated. Serial number is NB002xxx.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times

I ran a Search and found a manual. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/31098443...d-R92-Revolver
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94 (2), M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I registered here so that I could reply to this thread. Taurus is by far my most favored revolver manufacturer so I'm sure I'll be posting more as time goes on. Although my favorite revolvers are of the Taurus make (627SS4 is my all time favorite) I will openly and always admit that my favorite revolver of all time would be without a doubt the NEF R92!!! I will admit that a good portion of that love is simply because this was the first handgun I ever owned. Not only that, it was bought by my father who is against guns with every fiber of his being. I unfortunately sold this revolver in times of financial hardship and I still see that as my all time most regretted firearm related decision I've ever made. This revolver simply can not be beat in my opinion. Accuracy is above and beyond any other rimfire revolver I've ever handled when comparing it to others with similar barrel lengths. I am blessed with being able to have my own shooting backstop on my property and I can remember countless hours spent at a range of 35+ yards repeatedly being able to hit a 4" square iron plate. I didn't even need to try that hard to hit that 4" plate even with the minimal sights and heavy trigger pull. My R92 had a matte blue finish which keeps it's appearance nearly perfect. I've never even handled one with the nickel finish. I don't expect it to be able to hold up as well as the matte blue finish though. Reliability is 100% no ifs, ands, or buts. Never had a single malfunction that wasn't ammo related and I fired thousands upon thousands of rounds out of this revolver through the many years I owned it. So accuracy and reliability are simply unparalleled. As noted by your original post, you can get these revolvers for less than $200 all day long in like new condition. This has been mentioned but it bears repeating that the fixed sights are very low profile that simply do not offer the best accuracy. Not saying that accuracy is impossible, it simply takes practice and skill. The trigger pull surely isn't a hair trigger by any stretch. However switching over to SA fire will enable you to get a nice clean break that is surely acceptable to any skilled shooter. Shooting at longer range in DA mode with this revolver may seem difficult to some, I simply found it to be a very fun challenge. So there it is, Accuracy, reliability, and cost are all 5 stars without a doubt. Sights and trigger pull are personal enough that I can't give an exact star rating. For me, it was more than acceptable though. Another big plus of this revolver is it's no nonsense approach at what it's designed to do. I simply cannot say enough about this revolver but I will sum it up to say that if you run across one for sale and you don't have to sell your first born to afford it, get it, you won't regret it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links