6 11.54%
  • Baer

2 3.85%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    790 times

Re: Best 1911 style pistol

Well I didn't do this poll at first as I hadn't owned a 1911 till now. I recently got a used Springfield 1911 Loaded model love it. It rivals my PT92 in accuracy (both are more accurate than I am) it also has a lot less recoil than expected. It feels about like my PT111 Pro with 124 +P ammo in it. Now I've looked at several and fired a few over the years as my father was a collector. He had about a dozen Colts some as produced other race horse guns. Though I got them at the time of his death I passed them along to my 3 adult sons instead of me keeping them.

I did actually plan on getting a RIA 1911 in 9mm until I got the Springfield. I might add their CS is excellent also as I bought a 4 year old gun used and didn't get the keys with it. Called and got them over night with a warranty card to fill out in my name as well as a decal for the car. Oh they actually sent me all the little tools that come with the gun as well.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    98 times

According to the results the Springfield comes in at #3. Happy to see that on a Taurus forum.
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    USN 1957-1961
    USS Kearsarge
    Ham radio operator since 1961 "K7YG"

Taurus PT1911, Springfield 1911 RO

The more I get to know SOME PEOPLE....the more I like dogs.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

if money does not count than baer for sure

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times

If money doesn't count, NONE of the above.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22701 times

From your list of production 1911's I'd pick Les Baer. These are some of the finest production 1911's made. The manufacturer guarantee's its accuracy, the fit and finish are superb, and these pistols function without problems. You can buy four Taurus PT1911's for what one of these will cost you, and the shooting performance difference are very minor, but you did ask which was the best.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff
    From your list of production 1911's I'd pick Les Baer. These are some of the finest production 1911's made. The manufacturer guarantee's its accuracy, the fit and finish are superb, and these pistols function without problems. You can buy four Taurus PT1911's for what one of these will cost you, and the shooting performance difference are very minor, but you did ask which was the best.
    I just read something on 1911org group about the Baer's having a problem with extractors failing of late.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    6461 times

Well the question was what is the best 1911 style pistol?
    and so i have to say that i like every model 1911 that I own but would trade any or all of them for an equal number of true custom 1911's.
    I mean its hard to argue that a production or semi custom pistol can run with a full custom hand assembled, tuned 1911.
    thats where some of the money comes in and of course some of the money goes for the name.
    but thats a bit like saying well i really like my 2000 Volkswagen beetle and think it is just as good, well made and smooth as a Porsche Carrera in my opinion.
    now if the question was what is the best buy in a 1911 style pistol, then we can certainly throw out some main manufactures there.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times

I think the 1911 design is the best style of pistol. It really boils down to value....PS, the Baer is not a production 1911, so of the 1911s on your list it is obviously the best.

A 1911 extractor is like a lightbulb, it can go out at any time. It is best to keep a spare, if you do a lot of shooting. As long as the manufacturer is sticking with the original Browning design (and Baer does), a 1911 extractor is a 1911 extractor. No one brand is really significantly better than the next.  Again, it's like buying lightbulbs. The real difference in any 1911 is in the gunsmithing, not so much the parts.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10441 times

I won the lottery, and price is no object? I say the Wilson - they're supposed to be the Rolls Royce of 1911's. And their price tag would seem to indicate this.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22701 times

Quote Originally Posted by joecil
    I just read something on 1911org group about the Baer's having a problem with extractors failing of late.
    If you own and shoot 1911's for any length of time you will get used to extractor failures. Some break after just a few hundred rounds, some last longer. The extractor on my PT1911 has actually lasted nearly 9,000 round. I think that's amazing. At any rate they tend to be the first thing that wears out or breaks. When this happens you get a whole bunch of "1911 Internet Experts" condemning a brand or a model for it. The fact is it happens to all 1911 sooner or later. When it does you can either replace it yourself, or send it back to the factory for repair, or take it to smith. It just part of owning a 1911. If there is a defect in the Baer pistols, I'll guarantee you Les Baer will make it right and do so with class.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Links