Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

New beretta 92 clone ATI-AT92

checking a large local gun shops flyer for the month i discover they have a beretta 92 NEW for sell 469.. price sounds good i do a double take.. wait.. thats not beretta it says ATI, that must be a misprint!, a google search later i find out.. no it's not.

ATI (American Tactical Imports) started importing 92 clones made in turkey aprox 4 months ago.

it's apparently better known as the Yavuz 16 mfg by MKEK reportedly a state ran arm's mfg.

It's not clear if these are licensed or not, i would imagine they are not but that's a legal matter.

the practical matter is the gun accepts beretta mags and on the surface appears to be completely identical to the beretta.
    one difference however is the current berettas have plastic guide rods and plastic coated triggers, the ATI however still maintains all steal construction (minus frame)

it comes in black, and nickel (not stainless), it also comes in compact model.. which looks a lot like the discontinued centurion.

Considering the part of the world it's made in, and that they are new to the market, and that they are a copy that this would be a good opportunity to pick up a 92 for cheap.

you'd be wrong, the dealer in my area is asking the same price as the taurus 92's
    469 (this month) imo is just to high for either of those 2 guns.. although the taurus also comes with 2 extra 15rnd mags.

further more a real beretta 92 can be had for 500-550 depending.. it's difficult to see why anyone would want to buy these clones at this price point.

as for warranty i've sent a email to ATI asking about it.
    i dont expect a lifetime warranty, but we'll see i'll report back if i get a reply.

to my way of thinking the price of these need to come down to 350 or less to be competitive, any more then that i'd rather have another taurus.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...mkek-yavuz-16/

P.S i noticed on ATI's website they have a recall of GSG5 barrel shrouds (fake suppressor)
    apparently it's in violation of the NFA if you dont return it for a replacement YOU are in violation of NFA.. lovely.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you can't shoot well, shoot often.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Re: New beretta 92 clone ATI-AT92

I agree with you.... that's a bit stiff on the price, but I'd pick the Taurus over the Beretta anyway, because I like the controls being on the gun, not the slide... this is why I don't choose the Berettas. The Taurus is just as good and just as accurate...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    2039 times

I like my PT99 a lot. I've been looking at Berreta's. For the price, I'd buy another Taurus or a used Beretta. They're both proven reliable firearms.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

the taurus i agree fires and functions just as good, but there is no way taurus has as good a fit and finish, taurus just does'nt polish their guns up like beretta does.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

That price seems kinda steep when compared to the PT-92. Besides, if you needed the slide safety or have to have the name, who wouldn't spent $40 or $50 more. Joe is right about this gun needing to come down to the $350 range if they hope to sell.

As a side note, I see that ATI is also importing what looks like a cross between a 92 frame and a Hi-power slide, called the HP9. 21 rounds of 9mm and MSRP of $399. Made at the same factory as the 92 clone. This might be worth a look.
    Hater of fun since 2001!!!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2476 times

Quote Originally Posted by acook216
    As a side note, I see that ATI is also importing what looks like a cross between a 92 frame and a Hi-power slide, called the HP9. 21 rounds of 9mm and MSRP of $399. Made at the same factory as the 92 clone. This might be worth a look.
    More of a copy of the discontinued Walther P99 and the Bersa Thunder 9. As for manufacturer, there are two Turkish Arms Manufacturers. Sarsilmaz and the Turkish State owned MKEK. The HP9 and the other Squared Slide Pistols look like previous Sarsilmaz pistols that were offered to Armalite for importation. The AT92 is made by MKEK.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

This is not unusual for Beretta, this is their standard mode of operation. They will farm out the manufacture of the 92 to many countries, Taurus in Brazil, M9 in the US, Maadi in Egypt amoung others, so why not MKEK in Turkey. They are all standard 92's in every respect with the exception of Taurus who made it better.

Jim
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

not sure about maadi in egypt.

but Taurus bought the plant from beretta after the contract was up with the Brazilian government.

Taurus bought the building and all machinery.
    The reason why they was being made in brazil in the first place was a requirement of the contact with that government.

like wise for the M9 it was a requirement that they be made in the US in case of war they wanted a domestic supply of M9's

beretta is in control of the US operations though, it's just a branch of beretta.

there has been a lot of copies made, not all are part compatible usually they make some changes to it, the helwan for example i believe is an enclosed slide, i know there was a few different clone/dirivative's made in Africa for example.

i dont know whats going on with MKEK in turkey i bet it's not licensed but who knows.

Taurus current PT92's aren't really standard 92's like you said, when taurus first took over their 92's was identical to the original model 92, but has since had enough revisions to it that it's not 100% compatible with it's ancestor, and even less compatible with the current m9/FS 92's by beretta.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2476 times

Quote Originally Posted by joe sixpack
    i dont know whats going on with MKEK in turkey i bet it's not licensed but who knows.
    The Turks have been pretty bold about manufacturing unlicensed copies of other firearms and other items in the past, so that could very likely be the case.

Back in the 1950's thru the 1970's, Turkish Manufacturers made some pretty fair copies of the Walther P38, Colt Python, M16A2, and the Danish Madsen SMG, but these were never imported to the USA. None of these were licensed. Some of these have been encountered in Vietnam and Iraq.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    86 times

I was on the Turkish website about a year ago looking at those. they also had some engraved models and fancy (gold) finishes. I've never handled one so don't know what they're like, who knows maybe that price is a good deal if they're made well enough.

Go your way now, go with God, bag full of guns…

Check out my Pro Gun T-Shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/hotsky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links