Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    88 times

In Praise of the Star BM 9mm

I ended up with a Star BM through a trade for a .38 special and the gun showed the obvious signs of a lot of holster wear (top gun: FN Hi-Power, middle gun: Star BM, bottom gun: an American Arms .22).

But disassembling the gun, inspecting the barrel, and a trip to the shooting range confirmed that this was a gun that was carried a lot, but shot very little. On checking the back ground, I discovered that these were service pistols for the Spanish Home Guard... they will have mandatory military service for every young man.

The Star is an all steel pistol which makes it a bit heavy compared to the popular 9mm of today, and it follows most conventions of the 1911, so it shoots a single stack 8 round magazine. The barrel and slide mate just like the 1911, however it has some divergence. The trigger uses a single firing lever which works against the sear. One of the most consistant things you will hear about this gun is the quality of the trigger... it is crisp and clean at about 3 1/2 lbs.

The sights remind you of the 1911 GI... rear dovetail and a staked front... so there is little you can do without having a gunsmith restake the front sight. But I put a layer of white car touch up paint to help me pick out the front sight and it is pretty accurate just as it is.

One of the most attractive features on the gun is that it can be cleaned up very well...

A finish of Duracoat and a new set of wood grips really dresses the gun up.

It is just a bit smaller than the Commander series of 1911, but a very nice match to the 9mm cartridge. Parts can be a problem, but the three most likely items to be replaced... firing pin, extractor and recoil spring can all be ordered from Nimrich Arms. Because all of the "B" series pistol have very similiar mechanisms, you can pretty well locate what you might need with parts from another pistol.

The Star would make a great "tackle box" pistol, but with a little "spit and polish" it would make a very nice carry gun if you prefer the weight of steel over polymer. I've watched a picture of a Glock firing and it is obvious that the frame flexes... a steel gun won't.

One of the most attractive features on these guns is the price. Depending on where you shop, you can pick one up for less than $150 and a boxed set with an extra magazine for under $200. Magazines can be ordered very regularly on Ebay. My preference is for the rounded follower type... the flat follower seems more prone to nose dive without working of them.

A good, solid gun shouldn't cost you a fortune. This is one that you can carry with confidence... and your 1911 shooting buddies will rave over the trigger pull!
    [size=14pt]Senior Grand Master Tin Can Shooter and Paper Target Puncher[/size]

PT1911: Burnished Slide,
    Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    PT145: with HIVIZ
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Re: In Praise of the Star BM 9mm

That thing looks beautiful in the After pics. You're making me think more and more about these things.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Nice job! Does it use the 9mm luger or a different variation.
    "If guns cause crime, then all mine are defective." - Ted Nugent
    Taurus CIA 650 .357
    Taurus PT145 Mil Pro
    Taurus PT22

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

From what I've read it's 9x19 like just about everything else. Stephen Camp did a nice review here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Model%20BM.htm

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Good write up. I see these once in a while at gunshows for $150-$200. But I always thought of them as one of the "odd European" guns that might be difficult to repair or get parts for. If I run across a "deal" like under $150, I might pick one up. They sure clean up nice and look great with the new finish and set of grips. I saw a nice variety of grips for these on Gunbroker for about $20.
    "If guns cause crime, then all mine are defective." - Ted Nugent
    Taurus CIA 650 .357
    Taurus PT145 Mil Pro
    Taurus PT22

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I've been shooting a Star BM for about 6 months. I've had no problems with it. In competition I've won at pinshooting against other 9mm's, and at the last IDPA match I finished 5 points down; tied for 1st. Not bad for a gun under $200.

Member #
    Liked
    5536 times

Rioshooter, Welcome to the forum. How about nipping over to the New Members section and tell us a bit about yourself and what Taurus products you have if any?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Very, VERY nice little guns. I had one that was going to have refinished (I got custom grips made and everything!) but the refinisher told me it was too far gone to accept a good refinish. I was pretty bummed but I sold it for just about what I bought it for.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I remeber those things in SGN for $129. I was going to get one but then they went up. I wouldn't even mind a model B.
    while most people ask why, I ask why not.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The whole time we had a conversation about our Stars and I never even knew you had this thread Cim. I took mine to the range the other day (first time indoors with it) and I was shooting a half dollar sized group at 20ft. I'm thinking more and more about giving it a new suit like you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links