Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

buy a unassembled (but fitted) 1911 as a "build project" well call it a kit gun

well i have been tossing up the idea of building a gun but i have never done so and dont know really where to start also i dont have or want a whole lot of special tools to build a 1911 so thought if there is a company that sells a "gun in a bag" kinna like a model car were everything is there and will line up with no major adjustment or fittings and all i have to do is assemble it and shoot?
    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Unknown

"I am a simple man with a simple life and a complex arsenal"

Member #
    Liked
    118 times

Re: buy a unassembled (but fitted) 1911 as a "build project" well call it a kit gun

Who makes these?

Member #
    Liked
    427 times

Re: buy a unassembled (but fitted) 1911 as a "build project" well call it a kit gun

Quote Originally Posted by DKSlim
    Who makes these?
    Noone that I know of does. You can get kits with a frame and slide that are "pre-fitted". (What that actually means varies by company and price.) But, beyond that, I don't think you're going to find anything.

The catch is that even if you get a nicely matched frame and slide, all the other parts have to be fitted properly. And, doing that basically requires that the gun be assembled in order to check fitment and, ultimately, function. The only way to sell a "safe" "gun in a bag" kit would be to completely build the gun, test it, then take it apart and sell it. At that point, you've got more labor (and liability) involved than if you'd just sold the assembled gun.

If you're interest in building your own, it can certainly be done. But, it's not a trivial job. Somone else posted a link to this story a while back. I think it's definitely worth a read.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by parad0x177
    The catch is that even if you get a nicely matched frame and slide, all the other parts have to be fitted properly. And, doing that basically requires that the gun be assembled in order to check fitment and, ultimately, function. The only way to sell a "safe" "gun in a bag" kit would be to completely build the gun, test it, then take it apart and sell it. At that point, you've got more labor (and liability) involved than if you'd just sold the assembled gun.
    well i guess that makes sense but in my head it sounds cool and might be a fun way to buy a gun as a newbie to learn how it works by assembling it from the ground up with out any special tools what so ever. be for you can shoot
    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    427 times

Quote Originally Posted by andrew00perez
    ....might be a fun way to buy a gun as a newbie to learn how it works by assembling it from the ground up with out any special tools what so ever.
    To have fun and learn would be the only reason I would suggest any individual tackle building a gun. But, in order for the kit you seek to be available, it has to be profitiable for someone to create and sell one and I'm just not sure that's the case here. (I will admit it could be cool, though.) Plus, if you're mainly interested in learning function, simply stripping an assembled gun down for cleaning can allow you to learn a lot.

If you've got the time and patience, I'd certainly encourage you to build one yourself. I just caution that it's not fool proof and it's unlikely to be cheaper than buying one. Oh, and you're basically assured of occasional frustration. (Fortunately, there are libraries worth of books on the 1911, including how to build and work on them.)

On the other hand and while they aren't pistols, if you're interested in "building" a gun for the learning experience, I'd suggest you explore the AR15 or the Ruger 10/22. The AR can be built from the ground up with parts just as you describe and there *are* kits for those just as you described. Or, you can pick up a basic 10/22 and then customize it to your hearts content. They're relatively cheap up front, and the selection of parts available to make it your own is incredible. (Not to mention you can end up with an incredibly nice and accurate rifle in the end.)

Just be careful; either route can be additive. It's utterly obnoxious how much money you can sink into that "lowly" .22 and the AR can be even worse.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Actually, there are probably several companies out there that sell 1911 kits (pick up a copy of Shot Gun News and read through the ads). You most likely will have buy the frame and/or slide separately but you can easily get a kit that contains all the necessary internal parts. The 1911 is not that hard to assemble (there are several books on the subject) but the more difficult part is the fitting the parts - but that’s part of the fun and learning experience. When you're done its a cool thing to shoot a pistol that you assembled yourself.

One of my favorite companies to deal with for items such as this is Sarco, Inc. They sell one or two different kits for building 1911's. Here's a link: http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html

Member #
    Liked
    427 times

Quote Originally Posted by EVO80
    Actually, there are probably several companies out there that sell 1911 kits (pick up a copy of Shot Gun News and read through the ads). You most likely will have buy the frame and/or slide separately but you can easily get a kit that contains all the necessary internal parts. The 1911 is not that hard to assemble (there are several books on the subject) but the more difficult part is the fitting the parts - but that’s part of the fun and learning experience. When you're done its a cool thing to shoot a pistol that you assembled yourself.

One of my favorite companies to deal with for items such as this is Sarco, Inc. They sell one or two different kits for building 1911's. Here's a link: http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html
    No one ever said there weren't "kits" out there. Refer to the OP, which asked about a "fitted" gun kit that required "no major adjustment or fitting".

The parts kits from Sarco are anything but fitted and will certainly require "some" if not extensive fitting to even assemble the pistol, much less have it function properly. In fact, the article that I linked previously speaks specifically of parts obtained from Sarco and the experience that the author had in building his pistol with them.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i saw that link. thats what spured on this idea of a fitted (i guess we can say) pre-asembled.
    but it appears it is not any thing that seems to exist i guess i can just get a new 1911 and strip it down stand back put on a blind fold spin around a few times and try to crack the pinata.
    ~Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by parad0x177
    No one ever said there weren't "kits" out there. Refer to the OP, which asked about a "fitted" gun kit that required "no major adjustment or fitting".

The parts kits from Sarco are anything but fitted and will certainly require "some" if not extensive fitting to even assemble the pistol, much less have it function properly. In fact, the article that I linked previously speaks specifically of parts obtained from Sarco and the experience that the author had in building his pistol with them.
    As I said in my post - "the most difficult part is fitting the parts"

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22731 times

Fusion Firearms also offers kits or "gun in a bag" build it yourself type options. They will work with you and do as much or as little fitting as you wish, or they will sell you a fully assembled pistol. Fusion is a custom 1911 maker.

The advice above is definitely correct. It takes time, money and commitment, to successfully build a kit gun. It's not difficult but it will take a great deal of patients and some tools. You are also going to need to do a lot of reading as you work on your pistol. You will end up spending more money on a kit than you will just buying an already built pistol, but you will also get a very unique perspective on gun making and in the end the satisfaction of having a gun that you built yourself.

By the way if you get to a point that you feel you just can't do anymore, Fusion will finish your "gun in a bag" for you, so you still have a good quality shooter in the end.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links