Someone talk me out of purchasing the M&P shield 45. - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Someone talk me out of purchasing the M&P shield 45.

Member #
    Liked
    2449 times
    I've shot one a few times, no problems if you can manage recoil. I have the XDS-45, great little gun with less capacity.

I'd jump on one for that money... if I hadn't jumped on too many others already this year.
    FreeInAZ and Aberdog1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6150 times
    Hope i'm not too late . DON'T buy it ! You don't need it , it will only cause you problems and you'll wish you hadn't done it ! There ! Feel better ??

Member #
    Liked
    3336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
    We are not talking about the PT845, and not even talking about caliber per se. We're talking about the Shield 45 and a request to be talked out of buying one.
    Ralph a comparison was made prior to my post comparing the PT 111 (9mm) to the 45 shield, hence my post ....

DO NOT BUY THE 45 SHIELD! It's too affordable right now. Since this is a forum for those who only buy high end pistols that are expensive....wait...never mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
    Hard to control = more likely to miss. But it also has fewer rounds.
    Short barrel = less effective than expected. But it also has fewer rounds.

And at least half the time, there will be more than one assailant.

If I carry one reload for the G2 I have 25 rounds at hand.
    For reference

Member #
    Liked
    2753 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    For reference
    But I didn't say anything about a full-sized, double-stack service pistol, nor were any of my remarks even applicable to a full-sized double-stack service pistol.

I talked about recoil controllability, muzzle velocity, and firepower...none of which is missing from a full-sized double-stack service pistol

My remarks were about a compact single-stack pistol.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    17614 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdog1 View Post
    Let me think. Would I want 8 rounds of .380 or 8 rounds of .45...hummmmm? And for all the people that are saying it is hard to control, Have you shot one? I have and if you wish to look at my post with my Shield .45 you will see the 1st seven rounds fired from the pistol. It is easier for me to control than my MillProPT 145....
    Well kind of depends on the shooter as well.
    some people just don't handle the recoil and muzzle blast of more powerful cartridges.
    when I was down at the range a few days back to line up a new scope on a 22 rifle I have, I had the target ran back to 25 yards.
    a couple next to me also for some reason ran their target back that far and appeared were shooting a Glock in 40 caliber.
    upon viewing my target through the scope I noticed 5-6 holes in my target, easially identified as I was shooting a 22 LR.
    so I guess they MIGHT have been better off with a lighter caliber?
    don't know but they certainly wasn't doing any damage to the bad guy in their sights.
    the distance from center lane to center lane I would guess is about 6 feet or so?
    this has happened a couple times to me actually.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2753 times
    As I contemplate the likelihood of missing a moving target in a high-stress situation combined with the likelihood of dealing with multiple assailants--which not only increases the number of targets but also the likelihood of missing as I transition from one moving target to another moving target--magazine capacity rises in priority in my consideration. I strongly hesitate to constrain myself to a 7 or 8 round magazine.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    3336 times
    7-8 rounds maybe all some folks want. I agree with your logic in emphasis on capacity. I bought my Shield 45 as a backup weak side carry gun. It will back up a double stack 45 of no less than 11 rounds (M&P 45 mid size). I like options and a secondary carry pistol gives me one more. I'm still not so decrepit that I can't hump 10lbs of gear around daily... but I'm getting there quickly

Yes - I can shoot a 45 with my left hand only fairly well, (with lots of practice).
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-19-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    pegasus, Taurus10 and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Well kind of depends on the shooter as well.
    some people just don't handle the recoil and muzzle blast of more powerful cartridges.
    when I was down at the range a few days back to line up a new scope on a 22 rifle I have, I had the target ran back to 25 yards.
    a couple next to me also for some reason ran their target back that far and appeared were shooting a Glock in 40 caliber.
    upon viewing my target through the scope I noticed 5-6 holes in my target, easially identified as I was shooting a 22 LR.
    so I guess they MIGHT have been better off with a lighter caliber?
    don't know but they certainly wasn't doing any damage to the bad guy in their sights.
    the distance from center lane to center lane I would guess is about 6 feet or so?
    this has happened a couple times to me actually.
    When you say a Glock in .40 cal, any idea what kind or size of Glock? A subcompact with a short sight radius is going to be more difficult for some people than the full size version, regardless of caliber. That might make more of a difference in accuracy and felt recoil than the caliber itself. Still shooting so badly at 25 yards that you hit someone else's target 6 feet away is pretty bad shooting.

The most common mistake I see with new shooters when they're reacting to muzzle blast and recoil is more low shooting. Their very first shot might be on target, but the others might be as much as 6-8" low at 15 feet.
    I saw one woman shooting a 12 gauge shotgun for the first time where her first shot was dead center, but the 2nd shot was in the groin area of a B-27 target. (don't recall the distance) They are anticipating the recoil prior to the gun actually going off. It becomes more obvious when you mix in snap caps.
    FreeInAZ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Thanks everyone for input. Kind of leaning toward not purchasing it. I like the extra rounds that a 9mm has to offer. Not to concerned about recoil have 45 acp's and find them controllable. Like I mentioned going to range tomorrow morning to rent and shoot. If I really really like it I might wait for free shipping. Not in any hurry . Rebate good for another month.
    FreeInAZ likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links