Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Am I a Taurus Traitor?

3K views 35 replies 33 participants last post by  garyh 
#1 ·
I have been wanting a 4" .357 mag revolver for a long time. I was seriously looking at getting 4" Taurus Model 66 stainless or a Tracker 627 4". I have a Taurus model 85 that I am very impressed with and it is one of my favorite guns in my stable so I would have had not reservations about a Model 66 or 627.

I was just about to jump on one of them this week when I checked my local Palmetto State Armory and they had the Smith and Wesson 4" model 686's on sale for $689.99. After fondling the display model for awhile, this is what followed me home about 15 minutes later.

No store I checked with locally had the Taurus 66 or 627 in stock so I would have had to order one. Academy Sports did have a Tracker in .44 mag 4" and I really liked it but was not in the market for a .44 mag.

My 686 cylinder locks-up tighter than a bank vault which is something I always liked about Smith revolvers. The Tracker .44 I looked at locked-up decently, as well, but not as good as the Smith.

Sadly, I won't get to shoot it until after the Easter weekend.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Taurus doesn't make rifles right? So I won't feel bad I just won an auction for a Marlin 60. I just hope it actually looks as good as the photos.

#33 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new S&W 686 and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

I had a 6 inch 686 and often enjoyed shooting it. It was an excellent Revolver!

As for being a Taurus Traitor, I'm probably worse than you are. My last 6 handguns were not of Taurus Manufacture and one was an S&W SW9VE.
Fortunately, we are all pretty open brand minded around here.

#35 ·
I don't think I would have brought Taurus into the decision, my choice would have been between the Ruger and the S&W. My last revolver purchase was a S&W 686, but the 2" version. You made a great choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.