Shooting the Canik TP9sa!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Shooting the Canik TP9sa!

Member #
    Liked
    133 times

Shooting the Canik TP9sa!

Went to the range yesterday evening and the TP9sa is one of the pistols I took. It also happened to be my birthday, and being St. Paddy's as well, I was hoping for some good luck!

I intended to do a companion thread in the reloading section, but just found out last night that the excellent RMR 124 gr. JHP is being discontinued. Truly a shame, it's an excellent bullet. That is the result of a machine problem which RMR had bought to make the bullet. I sure hope it returns in the future.

In my youthful age of 60 now, I've had to make a few minor adjustments to my shooting style. My grip specifically. I just can't hold a pistol as steady as I once did. The good news is that reverting back to something I did years ago is helping me steady my pistols. I'm still using a thumbs forward grip, but my off-hand (left) index finger is on the face of the trigger guard. I actually started doing this again a few weeks back and yesterday everything came together. A few days before our shoot I made a windage adjustment, a very slight one because my rounds were going right of center. Somehow I managed to make a near perfect adjustment, and it's pretty easy to do with the Canik TP9sa. I hadn't worried much about that before because of the number of different handloads we shoot while in the past couple of weeks with testing this particular load we decided it was ideal for our defense load practice.

First the load. With the RMR 124 gr. JHP I had loaded up to 6.1 grs. of Silhouette using an OACL of 1.142"/29mm. It was a bit faster than necessary so I lowered the powder charge slightly. At this stage of load development, all of the loads are pretty good with standard deviations for 10 rounds being under 10 FPS. Doing a little math and interpolating velocity and pressure, it looked like 5.9 grs. might be the ticket. I went a slightly different route because of the fairly long OACL. In case you're wondering, these pistols have long throats where the biggest restriction on OACL, within reason, are the magazines. I've loaded 147 gr. XTPs as long as 1.161"/29.5mm and they ran fine. My main concern in lowering the powder charge for the longer load was that standard deviation would increase. So, I dropped the powder charge to 5.8 grs. and reduced OACL to 1.122"/28.5mm. The primer was a CCI500. Targeted velocity was 1150 FPS. So, what did 10 rounds over the chrono say? 1148 FPS, ES was 10 FPS with an SD of 3 FPS! That, my friends is about as good as it gets!

Now, the pistol. Note that I have the sa model. It was Canik's first SAO, and they retained the decocker from the TP9 DA/SA. This has been a source of a little than more controversy! Totally unwarranted, IMO, because the likelihood that the decocker could accidentally be engaged kinda falls into a probability like lightning striking in the same place twice. In all honesty, a good many reviewers just didn't want to like this pistol. I've been shooting handguns for 40 years, so it was a non factor. The reviews I considered relevant were from longtime shooters like myself like Hickok45 and sootch00. They both gave it a glowing review. While Hickok45 was a bit more reserved about just how good the trigger is, he said it rivals the Walther PPQ. sootch00 went a step further and stated that if it wasn't the best striker pistol triggers he had ever experienced, it was right there at the top. I'll put it this way. Look at what the various pistol triggers are rated at. Walther, Glock, XDm, HK VP9, M&P, CZ P-19, or the Ruger American. None of them are rated below 5.5#. Out of the box my TP9sa was just under 5 with light take-up and about the shortest reset possible. Now we have the newer models like the Elite designed specifically to compete with the G19 and other carry pistols where capacity is held to 15 rounds to keep the grip length shorter. The Elite's trigger is rated 1/2# lower while the new TP9sfx competition model is rated 3.5 - 4# with a number of reviews reporting 3.5. In short, these are the best striker triggers I've ever encountered. With some striker pistols you have to pull the trigger before you can remove the slide, i.e. Glock and others. That's also the case with Canik SAO pistols that followed the TP9sa. Even though it's an SAO, I actually like having the decocker for disassembly and sometimes it's a convenience at the range. Consumer liability was one reason Canik retained it, but some militaries in Europe do not allow their soldiers to carry in a ready condition, so the decocker takes care of that as well. Nothing mysterious about that and virtually idiot proof, just remember that I said virtually!

Now, about the modification of my hold. It was a lucky St. Paddy's! With this load and using my left index finger on the trigger guard for good stability, all I have to do at 7 yards is put the front dot, I painted mine green, over the 1" bull and squeeze the trigger. Every time I get it right, the round goes into the bull. Sorry I don't take pics, I rarely even bring a target home. Just been doing this too long and there are just too many load variations to worry about it. I do keep data for every load I make in a chrono log.

Okay, often guys wonder what happens with a different primer? No problem, got you covered. After the loads that gave an SD of 3 FPS, I switched from the CCI500 to the WSP specifically to answer such questions. The load ran a bit slower at 1140 FPS while SD only rose to 6 FPS. The TP9sa has a barrel length of 4.47", so if you shoot these loads from a 4" barrel they'll likely be closer to 1100 FPS. Still a bit high for minor PF, but that wasn't what they were intended for. This is strictly a practice load for defense that could be pressed into service if need be. So far I've only water tested with the higher velocity load. It penetrated about perfect into a 4th 1 gallon water jug. The jacket separated, but not until the 4th jug. The separation at that level of penetration is absolutely no cause for alarm. This I've confirmed with the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection. Charles A. Schwartz. He agrees with what my shooting partner and I believe: so long as separation doesn't occur early. There is no loss of effectiveness if the jacket penetrates as deeply as the core, and in this case it does, At the end of the wound channel, you've just created a second wound channel. Just make sure you get complete penetration with both.

Okay, in the thread discussing Ruger vs Canik, I'll add that I've owned both. I had the opportunity to buy an SR9 from Ruger at cost because of a P89 I had to send them for repair, which they could no longer do. The P89 was my handload tester, and while the SR9's barrel is .36" shorter, I figured it would serve the same purpose well enough. The longer I owned it, the more I shot it. My shooting partner bough 9Cs and his wife took her concealed carry course with my SR9. She decided that it was the pistol for her and price really wasn't a concern. My SP even tried to get her to go with a G19. Unfortunately, her SR9 developed feeding problems. They sent it to Ruger for repair and it came back with the same problem. That was the end of that. MY SP took her back to the gunshop where he had hoped to see her like the SIG P320. She liked the VP9 better, and if you've ever had one configured for your particular hand, you'll know why. Being able to change palm swells as well as backstraps does really amazing things. My TP9sa grip is similar except there are no interchangeable palm swells. Some of you might find this inetersting. I'm 6' -3" and have XL glove size hands. The TP9sa comes with 2 backstraps large and small. The larger feels better just holding the pistol, but I can't shoot as well as I can with the smaller backstrap and that was before I modified my grip.

So, I'm a pretty happy camper even though I mentioned early wear on mine. My suspicion is that Canik may not have had the Cerakote treatment figured out then. If you go to the CanikUSA website you'll see that every pistol that has followed, the TP9sf, TP9sf Elite and the TP9sfx state that the finish is Cerakote over phosphate. That's just my suspicion because Century Arms and Canik aren't saying. Plus refinishing the slide and barrel won't add much to the price I paid and hopefully it is a non issue with the newer models.

Member #
    Liked
    811 times
    Good Info...Happy B-Day!
    57K and MoKen like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    10762 times
    Glad you had a good day at the Range on your Birthday with your Canik TP9SA!

My original Canik TP9V1 continues to shoot very well, after some three years, and I often carry it.
    FreeInAZ, MoKen and 57K like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    729 times
    Ah ain't surprised. I almost went with the TP but just had to have a P120.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    13545 times
    Nice write up on a brand of pistols that is becoming very popular.
    MoKen and 57K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2391 times
    Canik is probably the only company out there that is quick to fix/change a design, to suite customer demands. They've gone through 3 or 4 major design changes in as many years, improving on an already very good design. All for a price that beats any other gun in this category.

I think the "made in Turkey" stigma has diminished and will continue too as more and more people find out about these gems.
    jwc007 and 57K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellows1 View Post
    Canik is probably the only company out there that is quick to fix/change a design, to suite customer demands. They've gone through 3 or 4 major design changes in as many years, improving on an already very good design. All for a price that beats any other gun in this category.

I think the "made in Turkey" stigma has diminished and will continue too as more and more people find out about these gems.

It sure doesn't seem to matter with their shotguns! Both CZ and HK sell shotguns made in Turkey and that's just to name a couple. There are only 2 companies, so far, that I feel are no risk. Sarsilmaz and Canik. Sarsilmaz also makes a very nice AR and I don't know why EAA doesn't import them except for barrel length which could easily be changed for the US Market. They also make a really great looking revolver somewhat patterned after the S&W M686 but likely just a tad larger. These companies aren't shy about saying what their longevity expectations are for their products. Sarsilmaz claims a minimum of 25,000 For full pressure .357 Magnum for the K .38/.357. Canik randomly pulls pistols off the line and run 50,000 rounds through and claim without failure of any kind. I checked with Century Arms before I bought the TP9sa and they told me it is definitely rated for 9mm +P.

Thanks for all the kind words and well wishes, guys! Hope your next shoot is a great one too!
    jwc007, Bellows1 and MoKen like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    10762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellows1 View Post
    Yes, and prices will rise accordingly. So buy while the price is low!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Okay guys, I made a boo-boo. Had a number of groups 1" or less but was mistaken about our targets. Got one hanging on the wall in my office which didn't seem to help until I happened to look at it earlier. The bull is actually 2". Age!

Also, if you haven't seen them, Canik has upgraded the TP9sa & sf. The new models have the Warren Tactical rear with an FO front. Naturally, they raised the price for them as well. The ones selling at around $350 are probably about to disappear!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Sounds like a GREAT Birthday to me! Happy Birthday...you young-un!
    -WildBillOH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links