Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Kel-Tec P3AT FREEDOM. Anyone have one?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Oldster 
#1 ·
Anyone own a Kel-Tec P3AT Freedom .380? Or shot one?

When I heard about this, I was stoked. But the more reading I did. The less excited I got. I've heard a lot of conflicting things. "Shoots only 700 to 800 rounds, more paperweight than pistol, just get a bare-bones one if you got to, etc.."

What's the truth?

#2 ·
I hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it. I found some info at KT's site.
http://www.freedom1791.com/

KT's small guns probably wouldn't make that great of paperweights as they count the weight in ounces. You will hear all kinds of garbage about any inexpensive gun out there.

In KT's FAQs they list an expected service life of 6000rds. Also, all of their guns have a lifetime warranty but that is limited to the original purchaser.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/faqs.htm

Now I wouldn't use one for a range gun but they will last longer than several hundred rounds. I used to have a P32 (1st gen, pre-dated the 380's release) and I know I put over four hundred rounds through mine (I even broke the thing in with 200rds the first day). I traded it as I decided that I wanted a bigger gun if I ever needed it. In the little things defense will say that as long as it was reasonably clean, it was reliable. After a box to a box and a half of ammo it began to get cranky.

Here's another perspective, if KT's guns are crap, why are they what all the other micro carry guns compared to?

Steelheart

#3 ·
I have a standard P3AT (without the laser). It is 100% reliable after the first 300 rounds, which I deemed a sufficient break-in period. It isn't a range gun, and I usually shoot two magazines of ammo (12 rounds) every six months just to make sure it and I are good to go with one another. It is the pistol I carry when I can't carry anything larger. It's the pistol I carry because I prefer it to throwing rocks. I can't imagine I will ever shoot it enough to wear it out. If I knew I was going into combat, it isn't the pistol I would carry. It is the pistol I slip into my hip pocket or into the side pocket of a sports coat. When I do outdoor work around the house or walk the dogs, it is with me. It is a pocketgun, a very good pocketgun...nothing more.....nothing less, but is more umph than a .22, .25 or .32 and only 7.5 ounces. You never know its there. It would never be the pistol I would pick if I could only have one, but I value it as a necessary tool in my tool box.

#4 ·
i own one and i agree with jake, it is an important tool but not a pistol to use if you expect conflict. that being said a coworker has 1500 rounds through his no problems and i dont think i could handle shooting 1500 rounds its got a hell of a bite.

#5 ·
I have a vanilla P3AT, and the only difference in the Freedom, sounds cosmetic. I'll never shoot 6000 rounds in mine, so that isn't a consideration. If it comes to that, I must be in some pretty deep doo! :eek:

#6 ·
I've had one for eight years and agree with everything Jake said. If you want one just by a regular one and forget about the overpriced Freedom one.

#8 ·
I have to agree with everyone else, just buy a standard P3aT and use the money you save to buy ammo. :)

#10 ·
My P11 has 11,000+ rough estimate through it and never had a thing done to it. The guys at KTOG said to put a recoil spring in it every 5K. I called KT and the service guy said (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), so it's still going strong. I might order a spring anyway in the future just because, though.

I mostly shoot standard pressure for practice. Only have maybe 300 rounds of +P carry loads through it. It is very accurate. I don't know about the P3AT from personal experience, but it gets many kudos from owners. Yeah, I'd stick with the standard. If I wanted a laser, I'd get the Armalaser anyway with the finger sensor, no switches to bother with. Been tossing around getting one for my P11, actually.

#11 ·
JohnStevenEastwood57 said:
Thanks Oldster.

I'll probably wait on the Kel-Tec. I don't think it fits me. I appreciate your advice though. Thanks.
I think you made a wise choice, if the firearm doesn't feel right to you it's always best to pass on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.