Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Phoenix Arms HP22 - broken?

Hey there, I inherited a nice looking plinker... unfortunately it fires very sporadically.

It's the HP22 and I got both the 3" and 5" barrels and the short and extended mags.

Here's what I can tell:
    * non-fires due to super light strikes
    * upon further investigation, the 'firing pin' slides freely in the slide channel - meaning there is no tension (expected a spring to keep back tension on the pin until hit by the hammer).

Can anyone provide any advice on what to do? I haven't googled Pheonix Arms, but I don't think they're making guns anymore are they? I know this gun has a lifetime warranty, but I'm not the original owner... my stepfather was and he is no longer with us.

It looks like he shot it a fair amount.. but I'm probably not willing to put much money into having a gunsmith fix it...

thx, scott

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Re: Phoenix Arms HP22 - broken?

Have you tried differnt brands of ammo, try some CCI mini mags, I have way less miss fires with them than the Bulk stuff. I have a Llama 22 that likes Stingers the best, hates bulk cheap stuff. (Stinger box used to list it on the packages as not to be used with it though). The extra kick made them cycle the best though.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Yep, was using thunderbolt, viper, mini mag, etc... the problem is definitely not with the ammo... the FTFs have basically no marks on the primer... the ones that do fire hardly have a mark on them...

Mods, I know this is not a Taurus, but should I post this in the Smithing forum?

Member #
    Liked
    351 times

Go to the numerich website, you should be able to look up the schematic and determine if the firing pin the is the correct length, also you might be in need of something called a firing pin retaining spring. they are used in several guns to prevent the firing pin from just resting on the primer.

Links