Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Prettying up a Glock...

8K views 72 replies 40 participants last post by  MadKaw 
#1 ·
As I am now the somewhat proud owner of a Hond-erGlock, I meant Glock, I've found myself looking at all the little add-ons that one can do to a Glock. The G30 Barrel and mags to convert my G29 to a .45ACP is a given (two guns for the price of one - sort of) but then I saw LoneWolf and these interesting machined slides. I like a stainless slide (PT24/7G2 .45ACP!! Love it!)

This lead to the little laser etched pieces that one can put on the glock like Mag floorplate, slide plates, extended mag release, Pearce grip-extenders, X-Grip mag spacer for using a full sized mag with the G26, 27, 29, 30 ... ported barrels, trigger jobs, and any number of other little (but surprisingly expensive!!) mods that one can do to a Glock...

My question is - has anyone done any of these things to theirs? Is the (dubious) aesthetic aspect worth the $$? I priced the stuff that caught my eye and just the little items that would be "artistically pleasing" to me would have that little G29 having nearly $1k in it and that's before the G30 barrel!

I had only

Thoughts? Pics? Ridicule and laughter?

Reactions: dogchild
#2 ·
Black Text Font Yellow Mode of transport
Try to make a good looking pistol out of a Glock is like putting lipstick on a pig.....:D

#3 ·
A good friend sends his for grip modifications. He has small hands with short fingers. We have talked about other modifications. He has threatened to have " SMILE, WAIT FOR the FLASH" engraved on the crown. Decided it would be too much trouble to explain to some folks. I just shoot mine plain Jane stock. Been 100% reliable for years and 230 grain hollow points make big holes. Even if they do not expand you have large holes. For a Texas BBQ gun I would want a different platform. Spending a thousand years ago built a fancy gun. Doesn't go as far now. It is your gun and your money build what makes you happy. Just remember that custom guns seldom bring a full return on your investment short term. I have several customs that are worth the investment to me but wouldn't sell for what they cost.

#18 ·
That's the truth because what looks good to you won't to someone else. I use the K.I.S.S method so if you like the trigger etc on it, don't change it. Adding different caliber barrels works because you get 2 for 1. I got a glock 23 and ordered a lone wolf 9mm barrel. Works great and don't have to bring two guns to range.

#11 ·
No such thing as a "pretty" Glock in my book. That said - if you want a functional "upgrade" think about a nickel (slight golden hue) or NibX (matte nickel hue) as something that will add durability & increase function while decreasing maintenance.

This finish upgrade usually starts @ $89 & goes as high as you want to spend.

#19 · (Edited)
Do what you want to do to make it your own. Back when pistols had removable grip panels, I always changed them out. Most manufacturers obliged those of us gun owners, who just can't leave well enough alone, with an array of add on dodads that we gladly spent our hard earned money on. One of my laments of polypistols is that they're all the same. If you can "make it yours", do it. Individuality doesn't have a price.

#20 ·
The only things I did to mine were functional upgrades. Extended takedown
Extended slide release
Tru-Glo TFO sights (best upgrade possible IMHO)

Attachments

#23 ·
As I've asked before (not necessarily to you), does it really matter what we think? If you're simply asking about functionality that's one thing, but if you're asking for our personal opinions/approval, you really don't need it. Do what you like and makes you happy.

#24 ·
.A Glock is a fine shooting gun, it don't matter if it ain't pretty. I don't see any wrong-doing to make changes that you believe it needs,. Its your gun. If you want to make changes on its appearance, that is up to you. Just remember, you won't get your money back on a lot of firearms for custom work.

Me, I was thinking about doing an non-black Cerakote on my Glock 17 or 19.

#29 ·
I knew, sooner or later, this worn out cliche would be repeated again in this post.... someone used it a long time ago and others have been parroting it ever since. I don't know how anyone knows what shooting a 2X4 feels like because I don't know any 2X4's that shoot.

If the truth was known by those who don't have an original complaint, as to the OP's original post there are after market grip frames for a Glock that even change the grip angle as well as grip size.

OP, if you want to make your pistol "yours" I say go for it. I am the last person on this earth that believes "normal" is worth having.

I am, as we speak, working with Lonewolf and a couple other companies putting together a completely "custom" Glock. When I say completely custom I mean I can't think of any Glock original parts that are in the gun. I didn't even start with a Glock, I ordered every part of the gun from after market manufacturers. Yes, I spent a pisspot of money on the project that I will never get back. So what? It is my project and my money so I am really the only one I have to please! Build your gun the way you want it and when it is done you and I can share photo's and tell each other "ain't that cool!".

My slide just went for machining and finish and the lower is waiting on parts for the completely adjustable trigger group. They received my reflex sight yesterday.... machining was waiting for the sight c so they could cut the slide to fit. Next the slide goes for finish and engraving. They are all telling me it will be about 3 more weeks to completion.

Anyway, I apologize for my rant... build your Glock the way you want it. I'll bet you will really like it when it's done. I have 2 other Glocks I have made my own, a 26 and a 17, so if I can help with anything just let me know....

Don

#28 ·
If I make an upgrade to any of my guns it will be for function. I find the Glock to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I just purchased a ghost evo connector and have polished the internals. I'll probably add a extended slide release at some point. As long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger looks are moot. I'll take a blocky or ugly looking gun that's trustworthy out of the box all day every day. As long as you like it that's all that matters. I find a good stipple job beautiful and some people hate em.

#35 ·
YEP! Beauty is skin deep!
Now I know its against the law to skin a ugly woman, what about a Glock???----------:devil:

Reactions: FreeInAZ
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.