Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Could use some opinions on which 1911...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7374 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    Springfield Armory just came out with the Range Officer in 9mm. And it's got a bomar cut in the slide with adjustable sights. It's all tuned up and ready to go, out of the box.

That's nice..... looks like it's about $800. The loaded stainless is around $1,000.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Something they used to do years ago, but you rarely see anymore, is a 1911 with a Smith and Wesson adjustable revolver sight installed. It takes a gunsmith to make it happen, but you wind up with a really nice low mounted adjustable sight solution. It's the way Jeff Cooper used to do it at Gunsight, back in the day. JAT

"The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1193 times
    I can certainly understand wanting stainless steel.
    Absolutely flawless operation and far more accurate than me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    dbeardslee and sparks9293 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2179 times
    You may also check out the sti Spartan. its made by armscor for sti, using sti internal parts fiber front adj rear here is mine its in 9mm
    dbeardslee and sparks9293 like this.
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    That's nice..... looks like it's about $800. The loaded stainless is around $1,000.
    To a certain extent, you get what you pay for. The springfield has a match grade barrel with a fully supported ramp, forged steel frame, 4.5-5 pound trigger, Cocobolo grips, checkered steel mainspring housing and aluminum trigger shoe - unlike the polymer that's become so prevalent in those locations. And just the bomar cut and the adjustable rear bomar-style rear sight is enough to add $200 to the price a 1911, so there's that to consider. Not to mention the fit and finish you get with a Springfield Armory 1911.

sparks9293 likes this.
    - Zen saying

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2177 times
    Something they used to do years ago, but you rarely see anymore, is a 1911 with a Smith and Wesson adjustable revolver sight installed. It takes a gunsmith to make it happen, but you wind up with a really nice low mounted adjustable sight solution. It's the way Jeff Cooper used to do it at Gunsight, back in the day. JAT
    Actually, the late Armand Swenson, 1911 Gunsmith at large, made that happen. http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pist...on/swenson.htm

Many of his customized 1911's appeared at Gunsite and other places.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7374 times
    Something they used to do years ago, but you rarely see anymore, is a 1911 with a Smith and Wesson adjustable revolver sight installed.
    Nice, but I think I'd rather have the larger rear sight blade ala the Bomar. I even swap the factory S&W out on my revolvers with Smith Wesson Rear Sight Blade K L N
    Last edited by glenwolde; 02-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    dbeardslee likes this.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwc007 View Post
    Actually, the late Armand Swenson, 1911 Gunsmith at large, made that happen. http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pist...on/swenson.htm

Many of his customized 1911's appeared at Gunsite and other places.
    Here's a quote lifted from the article - "Swenson guns incorporated the basic modifications necessary on a fighting pistol that were well summed up by Jeff Cooper." I dunno who did the work for Gunsite, but back in the 70's and early 80's they were always putting them together with the S&W sights. You could send a gun to them for modification, or they sold complete guns. And mostly what they did was job the trigger and install those sights. Always wanted one - never had the cash at the right time.

But like I said, if you want one on your 1911 today, it's a job for a gunsmith. A good gunsmith.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    12282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Nice, but I think I'd rather have the larger rear sight blade ala the Bomar. I even swap the factory S&W out with Smith Wesson Rear Sight Blade K L N
    Bomar used to be THE low mount adjustable sight solution, and it does give you a huge flat sighting surface. They're extremely functional. But the S&W solution has a certain elegance to it - even if it doesn't work quite as well. Although I never had a big problem aligning the sights on their revolvers. Probably more personal preference than anything as far as which is better.
    Last edited by dbeardslee; 02-08-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    glenwolde likes this.
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    6139 times
    the STI Spartan V ( V= barrel length 5 inches) they also make a 3 and a 4!
    hven't seen a stainless however!
    several of the top priced springfields come with adjustable sights, not many in 9MM however?
    I have a Range Officer thats very nice and at about the same price point as the STI ---800 bucks or so.
    Kimber of course as you mention.
    RIA target model comes in 9MM and is loaded, the Tactical II is a jewel but only in basic black, I have the 10 MM and love it, its a steal at 600 bucks.
    My number one choice if price isn't a big factor would be a Dan Wesson full size or the Wilson Combat, but thats just me.
    dbeardslee likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links