Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Canik 55 TP-9 Review

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    1995 times

Canik 55 TP-9 Review

Had been thinking about getting a Canik 55 TP-9 since they first appeared last fall. Then, they were wholesaling for about $350. None of my local Gun sellers had ever bothered to stock them. J&G Sales had marked them down to $299.95 plus shipping ($27.00) and after studying some other online reviews, I decided I had to have one. Made arrangements with my favorite LGS, who gave me a nice "Frequent Flyer" discount on the transfer, $25 as opposed to the usual $40, and the order was placed. J&G shipped very quickly.

Canik 55 TP-9 with spare Mec-Gar Magazine. Advertised Magazine Capacity is 18 rounds.
    Finish is Black PolyCoat.
    Made in Turkey and modeled after the Walther P99 AS.

The TP-9 comes from its ISO 9000 certified factory in a strong plastic case, with two 18 round magazines. A spare large backstrap is also included for fit flexibility. Tried the large spare backstrap and found I probably should not have bothered installing it. If you have larger hands than I, it may be for you. Also included in the Kit is a Serpa style Button lock Holster that works very nicely. Also, the TP-9 fits on some of the other Holsters I have for my Taurus 24/7 Pro. The kit was also supposed to include a rather generic Magazine Loader, but I did not care that it was missing, as I have an Uplula Universal Magazine Loader, which is always in my Range Bag.

Outer steel parts are poly coated to prevent corrosion and to help lubricate the slide and frame. The TP-9 also features a black chrome lined - cold forged barrel, an ambidextrous top-slide-mounted decocker for DA first shot capability, click adjustable 3 dot sighting system, cocking indicator and a front accessory rail. Fit and Finish on mine is excellent!

Specifications: - Caliber: 9mm - Barrel Length: 4" - Capacity: 18 Rounds - Overall Length: 7.25" - Weight: 1.65 lbs.

Canik 55 TP-9 Field Stripped

Takedown/Field Strip is very simple with pulling down the side takedown buttons all that is required to remove the Slide Assembly from the Frame.

Cleaned, degreased, and lubed it, and with a 9mm Snap Cap loaded into the chamber, worked the oil into the mechanism, and wear in the Trigger parts. Trigger was a bit spongy at first but soon wore in nicely. DA Pull runs a smooth 10 lbs and the SA pull a crisp 4.5 lbs.

While doing another Pistol Project (Taurus 24/7 Pro Grip), I discovered that the Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove for the S&W M&P Series fit very nicely onto the TP-9.
    A hearty "Thanks Again" to Forum Memeber/Moderator TexasTaurusGuy for the tip on the Pachmayr Grip Glove!

Canik55 TP-9 with Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove specified for the S&W M&P. While I like the stock TP-9 Grip, the Pachmayr Grip Glove enhances it a bit.

At the Range, this Pistol performed very very well, and from what I have read on other reviews, typical. I like it!!!
    I put 100 rounds of my favorite Match reload thru it, as well as 20 rounds each of Federal PPD 135 grain JHP's and 124 grain HST JHP's.
    Function was 100% with all Ammunition.

While the Magazines are rated at an 18 round Capacity, I've only been able to get 17 round in them, but that may change with spring wear.

Accuracy of Canik 55 TP-9 at 50 feet, shot from rest, with Match 124 grain Berry's FP Bullet reload

The Canik 55 TP-9 compares very favorably with my Generation 1 Taurus 24/7 Pro

Other Reviews of the Canik 55 TP-9

Handgun Review: the Canik55 TP-9 | GunGunsGuns.net

The 9mm No-Name: Canik 55 TP9 Review - Handguns

Last edited by jwc007; 09-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    13724 times
    If that target is from 50'. Thats a great shooting pistol!
    It is also nice looking!
    Last edited by rodfair; 09-10-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    jwc007 likes this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

Member #
    Liked
    3393 times
    Nice pistol...Rod, he said it had clickable adjustable three dot sights. Sounds like a good buy!
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Member #
    Liked
    13724 times
    I am sorry Jwc! Missed it!
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

Member #
    Liked
    6628 times
    Thanks for a comprehensive positive review.
    jwc007 likes this.
    NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20655 times
    Nice pistol, excellent price!
    jwc007 likes this.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.' Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    How does it feel in the hand? Does it feel cheap? It looks awesome. I was just admiring these on Buds the other day. You can't beat that price.

Member #
    Liked
    4131 times
    I have been eyeing those and their CZ75 clone, I already have a couple SARS and have been impressed with those Turks so far.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    390 times
    Very nice. I like the gray one they have.

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    I was just about sold on the Sar b6p, but the canik looks better and appear to be just as good with extra mag and a holster....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links