Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pt111 g2 range review

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Pt111 g2 range review

Last night I had a chance to put 150rds through the pt111 G2. My first round fired really took me by surprise. I have never shot a compact pistol before, so the recoil took me by surprise. This pistol does produce a lot of recoil but I would have to assume all compacts do because of there size. Fist round had dead center bullseye. After that things got a little sloppy but was still able to keep a 5" grp. Second mag, was different, I was shooting all over the place and couldn't grp more the few shots at a time. I tried adjusting the sites and but they didn't really need much adjusting from factory. So the next 115 rds were just practicing and trying to get some groups. From 7yrds was pretty good, when I wen to 10-15yrds things got really sloppy. It would shoot low left, then just low. I find you really have to aim above your intended target to get it to go where you need it. You can't adjust the sites to aim higher. The sites were already set to the highest point from factory. All in all I think with some more practice things will get a little easier. I do enjoy shooting the pistol and look forward to shooting it again.
    Last edited by jtracc; 02-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Oh and no FTE FTF performed flawlessly.

Member #
    Liked
    1954 times
    See there? I knew you'd be having fun with your new toy.
    Practice,practice,practice. An old music teacher said it better. "Practice perfect practice."
    You have to hold on a little tighter to the smaller guns.
    But don't ask me, I'm still learning.
    bluesguy72 likes this.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    958 times
    Sounds very much like my first outing with mine...........Someone had recommended aiming into a mirror and noting exactly where the muzzle is aimed at...i noticed that when i put the middle dot aligned horizontally with the other rear sight dots( as i usually do) it shows a bit low....If i keep the center dot sitting just on top, the barrel is aimed exactly where it should be.....this has fixed my low aim... just need to work on my trigger pull to fix the pulling to the left....Bought some snap caps to accomplish that...I still am so impressed with this gun....the ergos are fantastic!

Member #
    Liked
    17730 times
    Congratulations on your new gun...lots of PT-111 fans here including yours truly!

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you considered using a bore site? I found most of my stock sites way off. Just a thought.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I'm glad you enjoyed your new gun! I had a chance to handle one in a store just a few days ago, and it is definitely a great feeling gun. You are right about the ergonomics. I want one for sure, likely my next pistol purchase.

I would like to offer a bit of advice, and please don't misinterpret what I am saying. I have NO CLUE what your shooting experience is, so I am basing this on what I gather from your post, and that only. I was a Combat Marksmanship Instructor in the Marine Corps, and I have seen a lot of similar experiences to yours. I am only trying to help, and is it is unwarranted, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    ...My first round fired really took me by surprise... First round had dead center bullseye.
    This indicates good sight alignment and good sight picture with a surprise trigger break. When you combine those three things, great things happen. You did not know when to expect the shot to fire, and as a result, could not subconsciously fight the recoil. This also indicates the sights are likely dead on.

... I have never shot a compact pistol before, so the recoil took me by surprise. This pistol does produce a lot of recoil but I would have to assume all compacts do because of there size. ... After that things got a little sloppy but was still able to keep a 5" grp. Second mag, was different, I was shooting all over the place and couldn't grp more the few shots at a time.
    The surprise of the greater than expected recoil, along with now knowing where the trigger breaks, allows you to subconsciously fight the recoil. It is VERY hard to notice, as it is mostly instinct, coupled with the loud noise and rapid movement of the gun.

... It would shoot low left, then just low. I find you really have to aim above your intended target to get it to go where you need it. You can't adjust the sites to aim higher.
    Typically anticipating recoil is done by pressing the hands forward and down. Your grip will usually allow it to go left as well (shooting right handed). This movement is not done consistently, so it really cant be compensated for. If you attempt to offset aim, you will not be able to replicate accuracy.

I would recommend avoiding adjusting the sights until you have very tight groups from consistent aiming. If you aim dead center EVERY time, and you have a tight group at the extreme left (right, top, bottom, etc.) of the target, THEN you need to adjust the sights. Only then though. Until then, continue to practice. It is hard to stop anticipating the recoil unless you can catch yourself doing it. Snap Caps are a GREAT way to do that. Load some in with your ammo in random order at the range. Get a sharp focus on your front sight as you shoot. You WILL see the front sight drop as you pull the trigger on a snap cap if you are anticipating the recoil. Once you see it, you can correct it.

I had a few extra minutes and wanted to pass along some info. If it helps, I am very glad, that's what the shooting community should be about. If it is nothing new, sorry you had to read all that for nothing. Happy shooting, and enjoy that awesome gun!
    No1ofConsequence and gene1 like this.
    -U.S. Marine and CWP Holder from the Gunshine State
    -PT111, 24/7 OSS DS 9mm, PT1911, PT92, Model 85 and a TCP
    -"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Thank you for the insights there, Lesane.
    Lesane likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Name:  handgun accuracy chart.gif
Views: 2674
Size:  43.9 KBName:  handgun accuracy chart.gif
Size:  43.9 KB Here is a handy chart that can help you self correct any technique issues. Enjoy that new gun!
    lizard55033 likes this.
    "The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.
    ― Thomas Paine

"Disarming citizens is always the first step a dictator takes before placing his boot on the collective throat of the people"-- Tony nardo

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    Name:  handgun accuracy chart.gif
Size:  43.9 KBName:  handgun accuracy chart.gif
Size:  43.9 KB Here is a handy chart that can help you self correct any technique issues. Enjoy that new gun!
    Great Pictoral!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links