Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PT 609 Is It A Good Reliable Pistol?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

PT 609 Is It A Good Reliable Pistol?

I have a very close friend who had purchase two PT 609 9mm pistols, one for his wife and one for him. She wants something smaller. She has fired one box of ammo through her PT 609. It is like new. I know this is a good price for a pistol in this condition and that has so little use. What I want to know is if the PT 609 a good reliable pistol. I have owned Taurus revolvers (4 of them) but never a Taurus pistol. Any comments and experience with the PT 609 would be very helpful.
    Last edited by mhsp68; 05-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    18312 times
    Most of the PT 609 pistols were sold by Academy for Black Friday sales a few years ago. If it is the PT 609 PRO, it is a civilian version of a Brazilian police pistol, and is not listed on the Taurus website.

Other than one glitch (not the fault of the pistol) my PT 640 PRO (the .40 equivalent of your PT 609) has functioned very well, and is a pleasure to shoot. For $200 I would buy a PT 609.

Member #
    Liked
    2264 times
    I wouldn't pass at $200....it's a no-brainer.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I figured it was a no brainer, but just did not want to spend money on a product that had issues since I was not familiar with it. Thank you for the impute, I appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    5543 times
    Let me tackle this from a different angle than the others.
    Pt609 pro
    PT 609
    PT609 Test Run
    Taurus 609B 9mm from Academy?
    New PT609 pro

Hope these are of some use.

Member #
    Liked
    5543 times
    The PT609 is direct kin of the Millennium Pro series.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8156 times
    I have a PT609. I have over 1,500 rounds through mine. I had a few problems with failure to fire, but cleaning out the firing pin channel solved that issue. When it was new I had a problem with it feeding Monarch (from Academy) brand ammo, but I tried another box a few weeks ago now that it's broken in and it worked fine. It's one of the "Black Friday" sale guns. It is without a doubt one of the greatest value gun purchases I've ever made.

As it stands now it feeds everything, including 147gr lead bullet reloads. Clean it well before you go shoot it. The sights take some getting used too.

If you don't want it I'll take it.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5543 times
    I am also going to add this. Do you have any experience with DAO or Glock like triggers or SA/DA triggers?

The reason for the query is that the Taurus trigger takes some getting used to. It is different enough from the Glock or other triggers of it's class. It takes some dedictaion,time,and experience to become proficient with. That's true for all handguns in that class. Some of these are actually single action only pistols but alike in other ways.

For example, I had to learn the characteristics of the PT111 Mil Pro trigger,trigger pull, and follow through with it.Previously I had fired only Ruger P95s with their traditional double action first shot to transition to single action for every shot that came after the first. I had a mentor to help a bit with the trigger with constructive criticism and feedback that helped things along.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Thank you so much for all the good impute and advice. I have owned pistols by the following: Glock, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, a few custom 1911's, and Beretta. I am a cautious man when it comes to something I am not familiar with and have enough sense to ask those who possibly know. A lot of people bash Taurus and I will admit that has caused concern and one of my reasons I have kept away from their pistols although I have had good luck and like the Tauras revolvers I have owned. I have viewed Taurus pistols over the last four years that my friends have been shooting and my opinion (are should I say my fears) have changed about Taurus pistols. Thank you once again for the time to respond to my questions, it is much appreciated. Mike Price

Member #
    Liked
    467 times
    Taurus bashers for the most part are just followers bashing the brand because others do. Most bashers have probably never shot much less owned a Taurus firearm. You know the old saying, if its cheap it has to suck. Anyway, almost all modern pistols are like cars as far as reliability goes, if you take care and maintain them properly they will serve you well. This Taurus pistol is no different, and if it isnt they (taurus) will fix it.

The only easy day, was yesterday!

GUNS: My right to own them is what protects your right to express that I can't.
    Get off your @$$ and vote NOBAMA in 2012!
    M1911A1: The original point and click application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links