Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT 609 Is It A Good Reliable Pistol?

28K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  glenwolde 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a very close friend who had purchase two PT 609 9mm pistols, one for his wife and one for him. She wants something smaller. She has fired one box of ammo through her PT 609. It is like new. I know this is a good price for a pistol in this condition and that has so little use. What I want to know is if the PT 609 a good reliable pistol. I have owned Taurus revolvers (4 of them) but never a Taurus pistol. Any comments and experience with the PT 609 would be very helpful.

#2 ·
Most of the PT 609 pistols were sold by Academy for Black Friday sales a few years ago. If it is the PT 609 PRO, it is a civilian version of a Brazilian police pistol, and is not listed on the Taurus website.

Other than one glitch (not the fault of the pistol) my PT 640 PRO (the .40 equivalent of your PT 609) has functioned very well, and is a pleasure to shoot. For $200 I would buy a PT 609.

#4 ·
I figured it was a no brainer, but just did not want to spend money on a product that had issues since I was not familiar with it. Thank you for the impute, I appreciate it.

#7 ·
I have a PT609. I have over 1,500 rounds through mine. I had a few problems with failure to fire, but cleaning out the firing pin channel solved that issue. When it was new I had a problem with it feeding Monarch (from Academy) brand ammo, but I tried another box a few weeks ago now that it's broken in and it worked fine. It's one of the "Black Friday" sale guns. It is without a doubt one of the greatest value gun purchases I've ever made.

As it stands now it feeds everything, including 147gr lead bullet reloads. Clean it well before you go shoot it. The sights take some getting used too.

If you don't want it I'll take it.

#8 ·
I am also going to add this. Do you have any experience with DAO or Glock like triggers or SA/DA triggers?

The reason for the query is that the Taurus trigger takes some getting used to. It is different enough from the Glock or other triggers of it's class. It takes some dedictaion,time,and experience to become proficient with. That's true for all handguns in that class. Some of these are actually single action only pistols but alike in other ways.

For example, I had to learn the characteristics of the PT111 Mil Pro trigger,trigger pull, and follow through with it.Previously I had fired only Ruger P95s with their traditional double action first shot to transition to single action for every shot that came after the first. I had a mentor to help a bit with the trigger with constructive criticism and feedback that helped things along.

#9 ·
Thank you so much for all the good impute and advice. I have owned pistols by the following: Glock, Kimber, Springfield, Colt, a few custom 1911's, and Beretta. I am a cautious man when it comes to something I am not familiar with and have enough sense to ask those who possibly know. A lot of people bash Taurus and I will admit that has caused concern and one of my reasons I have kept away from their pistols although I have had good luck and like the Tauras revolvers I have owned. I have viewed Taurus pistols over the last four years that my friends have been shooting and my opinion (are should I say my fears) have changed about Taurus pistols. Thank you once again for the time to respond to my questions, it is much appreciated. Mike Price

#10 ·
Taurus bashers for the most part are just followers bashing the brand because others do. Most bashers have probably never shot much less owned a Taurus firearm. You know the old saying, if its cheap it has to suck. Anyway, almost all modern pistols are like cars as far as reliability goes, if you take care and maintain them properly they will serve you well. This Taurus pistol is no different, and if it isnt they (taurus) will fix it.

#11 · (Edited)
You are right to be cautious as anyone should be. Just jumping on the bandwagon without doing research leads to problems or can.
I would not take our word alone on this. Go ahead and handle it, give the gun a good going over and following these can only help.

Buying a Used Handgun
How to Buy a Used Handgun - Article - POLICE Magazine

I have a first batch Ruger SR-9. Did not wait the year or so to let the bugs get worked out. The gun was recalled by Ruger,fixed, and sent back with a spare magazine for my troubles. Had I waited things probably would have turned out for the better. Lesson learned. :)

The gun owners here follow the research well the gun to be bought. Internet verifiable factual evidence is fine, owners only experience counts for something (yes, there are exceptions, but very few to this), and actually handling, and if possible, shooting the example piece are the way to go. Following the linked checklists is always a good thing to do. It's hard to go wrong doing all of that.

I would not have 11 Tauri pistols if they did not work.

Same goes for the people here at this forum as far as the gun working. They'll be factual.

Not to say that you will find a lemon here and there of a Taurus. Same is true for other brands as well.

Let me give you a little lesson on Internet bias.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/63154-p92-bashing.html

If you buy the gun,fine. If you do not,fine.

Hope all this is a help.

#12 · (Edited)
Your observations are so true. Especially the bias that is found in some gun magazines and for sure on some forums as they try to make people feel like fools for purchasing a Taurus. I came to this forum because there is real time experience hear with Taurus pistols. I have owned and still do own Taurus revolvers and they have been outstanding with no problems. I have published articles on shooting, hunting, reloading and firearms for Guns & Ammo, Nosler, AmmoGuide and one of my articles is posted on the production line at Sierra by their management at the request of their employees entitled "Green Boxes" which can be viewed on http://ammoguide.com/ under articles and downloads.

I am very familiar with revolvers, pistols, and single shot pistols (just not Taurus pistols). I have told the man I would take the gun after I come to his place and shoot it. He is a friend of mine and there is no problem with him about shooting the gun. When his wife tells me she has only put one box of ammo through the pistol, I can count on that being accurate. I am looking at some other Taurus pistols for possible purchase and I know I will enjoy them as my friends have and they will more than likely be as dependable as my Taurus revolvers have been.

It is nice to come to a forum and ask for advice and get a well balanced approach to my questions while at the same time being treated with respect. Thanks agian, Mike Price

#13 ·
We're all in the shooting culture togther so being polite and truthful should be a regular ongoing thing for everybody. Respect should also be given and be a regular thing as well.

We're happy to be of service and you're part of the family.

#16 ·
I have had my PT609 for a year now, and really enjoy shooting it.

Intially, I had some break-in issues. I was not used to the single 8 Hyne sights, nor the trigger pull.
I also don't think that I cleaned it well enough out of the box.

I bought it from Acadamy, and the price at that time was $309.00

Today, this pistal is really enjoyable to shoot, and very accurate for me.
I did purchase a replacement set of 3-dot sights for it, but once I got the hang of the single-8 sights, I decided not to change them out.
Also, after the inital break-in it takes everything I feed it.

My only remaining issue is with my grip. There are times that my thumb will accidently hit the mag release.
I think $200.00 is a great price for you, especially if it has hardly been used.

Rob

#17 ·
Now that is nice for such a little pistol at 9 yards, thanks for posting, that is cool. Appreciate the empirical evidence of the PT 609's potential indeed. I am actually looking forward to getting the PT 609 tomorrow evening and I will post pictures of the pistol.

Oh! here is a six shot group off a rest at 25yds out of my Taurus 44mag using my handloads (small holes are from my grandson shooting his 22lr), showing that a Taurus revolver can definitely shoot.

#20 ·
I think they might be the same pistol, they just came up with "Millennium" for the U.S. market. I've never been able to get that 13th round in my magazines. I guess the test would be if a Millennium mag fit, but I don't have one. Someday I'll have my 609 with me and I'll run into to somebody at the range with a PT111 and I'll try it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.