Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PT145 prices: New vs. used

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

PT145 prices: New vs. used

I haven't shopped for a gun in like 2 years, but am now considering getting a used PT145 to go with my 24/7. As an avid shopper, it surprises me to see nearly every used one going for more than I can buy a new one (low price found so far is $330 shipped + FFL on my end). Most of the used ones offer nothing in addition to the new one. This seems really upside down to me- why would one pay more for a used gun? Of course, on sites like gun broker, you can see if they sell or not, and they for the most part are not selling.
    Retired Florida Law Enforcement Officer
    Owner of a lemon 24/7 Pro 45: Nearly everything inside it was, is, and apparently will be broken
    My new to me PT145 Gen 3 is much better!
    Also have owned a nearly 30 year old Astra A-80 45 since it was new
    "Today, they want you to believe that patriotism means that you support everything the government wants. A true patriot defends liberty and the people."
    -- Ron Paul

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3316 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A45ACP View Post
    I haven't shopped for a gun in like 2 years, but am now considering getting a used PT145 to go with my 24/7. As an avid shopper, it surprises me to see nearly every used one going for more than I can buy a new one (low price found so far is $330 shipped + FFL on my end). Most of the used ones offer nothing in addition to the new one. This seems really upside down to me- why would one pay more for a used gun? Of course, on sites like gun broker, you can see if they sell or not, and they for the most part are not selling.
    If readily available in the new market makes no sense. If it were no longer a production pistol, I might understand. I know that sometime in the future I might consider gen 1 PT24/7 40S&W to go with my gen 1 9mm since it's such a sweet shooting pistol. Bout the only ones paying over price from an individual seller in these parts are those with nefarious intents.
    (2) PT709 SS 9mm; PT740 SS .40S&W
    PT140 Blk. Mil Pro G1; PT140 SS Mil Pro G1 .40S&W; PT111 9mm SS Mil Pro G1
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS - 9MM; (2) PT100AFS .40S&W
    TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS
    (2)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and all Black 9MM; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    The only time I would pay a LITTLE premium for a used would be from a local face to face sale from a non felon. In Virginia you can buy a gun from someone without a dealer transfer as long as you and the seller are not legally prohibited from owning a gun. If you aren't concerned about another gun going on the books, then you would be crazy to buy a used over new.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    New>Used
    PT145 the savings of buying used isn't enough to risk on what could have been someone else's headache. One pro of used is its already broke in some could say? or if the used one comes with aftermarket night sights or something that would give you more value to buying used but even with that I would still say just get new that way you know what your getting you can pick exacly which one you want.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Well, my LGS was selling a new PT140 for $335, so it looks like you are in the ballpark there. Also, I have noticed lately that the prices of used guns are not as low as they used to be. If the price is indeed fairly close between new and used, I would go with new.......
    karma, GoWild and jwc007 like this.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    662 times

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Bud's was the benchmark I used for the pricing. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with them when you look at reviews. I've learned rebuilding cars & bikes that the cheapest vendor is not always the best. I'm in no hurry, so I can pick & choose & will likely wait for a local deal like I did for my 24/7.
    Wino likes this.
    Retired Florida Law Enforcement Officer
    Owner of a lemon 24/7 Pro 45: Nearly everything inside it was, is, and apparently will be broken
    My new to me PT145 Gen 3 is much better!
    Also have owned a nearly 30 year old Astra A-80 45 since it was new
    "Today, they want you to believe that patriotism means that you support everything the government wants. A true patriot defends liberty and the people."
    -- Ron Paul

Member #
    Liked
    20189 times
    A little shopping in my neck of the woods will turn up NIB PT145's for $350 OTD.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    The only time I would pay a LITTLE premium for a used would be from a local face to face sale from a non felon. In Virginia you can buy a gun from someone without a dealer transfer as long as you and the seller are not legally prohibited from owning a gun. If you aren't concerned about another gun going on the books, then you would be crazy to buy a used over new.
    Good points, and I agree. We've got the same deal in Missouri...with private sales, there's no sales tax, no FFL, no FBI background check, no nothing. What I find objectionable about buying from a dealer is the background check, and giving the Feds the information on exactly what I'm buying. I know, I know...they say they don't retain the information, but quite frankly I don't believe them. The 2nd Amendment is pretty straight-forward, and if I'm interpreting it correctly, what I purchase is none of their damned business.
    A45ACP and jwc007 like this.
    "The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."...H.L. Mencken

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Just as an FYI, CDNN has the PT145 for $299. However, you throw in shipping and the local FFL paperwork and you are at ~$350.
    WisconsinKen

Now living in the semi-communist state of Illinois.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links