Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT-145 threaded barrel?

An associate of mine was showing off his silenced handgun. Now I need to have one.
    Google didn't turn up any information about PT-145 threaded replacement barrels so I'm guessing there aren't any, but I thought I would check here first before abandoning the idea (for my PT anyway). I'd rather get a new handgun than have a machine shop one-off me some barrel for the Taurus.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10536 times
    I'm not aware of any aftermarket barrels for the PT145, much less anything that would accommodate a silencer. And I know Taurus doesn't make one like you're wanting. I guess you could have a gunsmith do it for you, but you'll likely void the warranty.

Did your friend tell you the hoops you have to jump through for a silencer? There is a $200 tax stamp you have to pay to the BATF, forms, and a waiting period. It's not all that easy.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    a 12" long suppressor sorta defeats the purpose of the PT145. A easier alternative is a low-end 1911 with a threaded barrel,those are easily available for alot cheaper than having a gunsmith make you a custom barrel.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    A easier alternative is a low-end 1911 with a threaded barrel,those are easily available for alot cheaper than having a gunsmith make you a custom barrel.
    That's what I was thinking as well. But, I wanted to see if there was something available for what I already had. No big deal, just means I'll have to buy another handgun

Member #
    Liked
    20352 times
    Contact Bar-Stor at Bar-Sto Precision Machine they have been making custom barrels since 1971 and may be able to "cobble" you up one at a reasonable price.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    12285 times
    If you get caught with a an unlicensed silencer, it's a federal rap - almost like having an unlicensed machinegun - so pay the fees or shelve the project would be my advice. If you plan on making one yourself, the hoops you'll have to jump through are probably even more stringent. If you ignore this advice, my next best advice is don't even tell your mother what you "manufactured." This is also one of those things where a discussion thread on the internet is probably not a good idea either - you never know who might be 'dipping.' What started out as a fun little project can turn into a real world nightmare real quick. I don't want to be a buzz-kill - just sayin'.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I'm well aware of the legal requirements. I'm not sure why anyone thought I was going to manufacture one on my own. I'm looking at the products from Silencer Co. From what I could tell they are very well built.

Member #
    Liked
    12285 times
    I'm not sure why anyone thought I was going to manufacture one on my own.
    Maybe cause you didn't tell us anything different?

The thing you want to be careful with on the PT145 is the flare on the end of the barrel. It's a little thicker for the last 1/2" of barrel to provide a tighter lockup. Another member asked some months back about installing a longer 24/7 barrel in a PT145 - unfortunately without the flare at the right point on the barrel the lockup isn't going to be as tight and accuracy is going to suffer. Moondawg mentioned Bar Sto and they make some quality barrels. Wouldn't call them cheap though, and I don't think they manufacture for Taurus. Not sure who does. Might be able to make a 24/7 barrel work, but you'll probably need some metal added to it to form the flare - and that will take a REALLY good welder if you don't want your barrel warped. By the time it's all said and done you're probably better off just buying a pistol that's already got a threaded barrel installed.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Links