Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT-111Ti Mil Pro 3-Dot Tritium Sights???

Hi, first time posting. I'm sure this has been discussed, appreciate if someone can point me to the thread or give me a website URL, etc.

I have both a 1st Gen PT-111 Ti Millennium (9mm, 10 rnd mags), and a 3rd Gen PT-111 Ti-12 Mil Pro (9mm, 12 rnd mags, plus a backup 17 rnd 24/7 mag [thanks to this forum]), both with the Titanium slide. The 1st Gen has the 3-Dot Tritium and the 3rd Gen has the Heine Straight-8's. I love the lighter weight of the Titanium slide for daily carry, but I do not like the long, heavy DAO trigger on the 1st Gen. So, I bought a 3rd gen Mil Pro. It is more ergonomic in the hand, I like the trigger much better; all around, it's an improvement. It has been sitting unfired in my safe for over two years as I periodically try to find 3-dot Tritium sights to replace the Heine Straight-8's. I'm sure the -8's are fine once you get to know them, but the weapon I carry at work has 3-dot Tritiums, my personal CCW for 10 years has been a 3-dot Tritium (the PT-111), my other weapons are 3-dot Tritium, and this Mil Pro will be 3-dot Tritium (see a pattern developing?) before I carry it, or it will remain unfired or be sold, along with the 1st Gen. Millennium, and I will reluctantly say goodbye to Taurus Mfg. Co. I have written Mr. Bob Morrison, President of Taurus, twice requesting help, and as you probably all know, I did not even get a postcard back telling me to take a hike. Taurus Cust. Svc., in probably one of their more magnanimous moments, did confirm that the dovetail cut for the Front sight is 60 degrees and for Rear is 65 degrees. They could not or would not supply the other dovetail dimensions, so I measured them with my mic and got 0.296 inches at the base of the Front dovetail and 0.371 inches at Rear. Can anyone help with a source for drop-in 3-dot Tritium sights? Solid leads please; I've already checked out most of the big companies (maybe about a year ago). IMHO, it's hardly worth spending the $$ to buy something larger and pay a gunsmith to fit them. Much thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    I bought these: Heinie SlantPro 3-D Tritium Night Sight

They are made for your pistol and they shoot great! See my topic: PT745 & Heinie 3D Tritium Sights

Last edited by Ranch Dog; 05-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1958 times
    One of our advertisers, OpticsPlanet, has 'em for the pt-111. $79, on sale.

Trijicon Night Sights FREE UPS Trijicon Nite Sights sets - glock 32

I wish I had bought those instead of Williams Firesights.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    The way I read the opening post Bob is that he has the front and rear dovetails. The TS01 Trijicon is for the front post with a screw threaded from the inside of the slide. Unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    I don't think the trijicons are for the dovetail on the third gen. Someone had some in classifieds a while back. I could be wrong though.
    Last edited by youngandfree; 05-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    Dig through this thread and look for the info on the Wilson Combat sights this guy used on his PT111.

ust a few pix i thought were cool.....

Novak makes some for the 24/7 OSS, so if someone knows if the dovetails are the same these would work.

http://www.novaksights.com/products/...taurus247.html
    Last edited by youngandfree; 05-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the great info! The Heine SlantPro 3-D Tritiums (Heine #418's) look like they should fit the bill nicely. Appreciate the suggestion and your topic on how they installed, Ranch Dog! I am also going to check out the Wilson Combat sights referred to (367 TO's. Listed in Brownells' for 1911's, catalog #965-367-006, "1911 AUTO SNAG-FREE SIGHTS"), and also the Novak's for the 24/7 OSS. I will have to email Novak and ask for the dimensions (& I will try to post the info here when I get it).

You are correct about the Trijicon TS01 sights. Those are for the 1st Gen Millennium with the fixed front post held by a screw. However, I was due for a replacement set as my originals on the 1st Gen are pushing 10+ years and getting rather dim. Set ordered from Optics Planet - thanks for the lead on those, bre346.

To clarify one other point: the measurements I listed for the dovetails on the 3rd Gen PT-111 Ti Mil Pro of 0.296" front (60 degree cut) and 0.371" rear (65 degree cut) were taken off the bases of the Heine Straight -8's, not the actual dovetail on the slide (angles provided by Taurus CS). I also went back and measured the height of the front sight. From the top of the slide to top of the front post is 0.196 inches (& to the center of the dot is 0.130").

That brings me to another question regarding the Wilson Combat 367 TO's. Here are the specs on Brownell's: SPECS: Steel, blued. Rear Blade; .649" (16mm) wide, .230" (5.8mm) height with .124" (3mm) width notch. Front Blades are .125" (3.2mm) wide. Govt. is .173" (4.4mm) high; Comm. is .145" (3.7mm) high; Officers ACP is .130" (3.3mm) high. Front sight installation requires machining .300" x 60 dovetail in slide. Fits 1911 Auto only.

I can see that the Front sight should be an almost exact fit for the dovetail, and I am assuming I would want the blade for the Govt model (0.173" high). This is 0.026" lower than the Heine Straight-8, so that would slightly raise the POI, or is the sight picture going to be so different with the Wilson Combats vs. Heine -8's that there's no way to determine without actual real-world testing? I am also unsure how they were installed on that other thread as the rear blade notch width is only 0.124" vs. the 0.371" I came up with. Guess I'll have to ask for more clarification on that other thread. Appreciate comments on the height vs. POI question, though. Still leaning towards the Heine SlantPro 3-D's. Again, thanks for all the great input! Barberpole.86

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Barberpole.86 View Post
    I can see that the Front sight should be an almost exact fit for the dovetail, and I am assuming I would want the blade for the Govt model (0.173" high). This is 0.026" lower than the Heine Straight-8, so that would slightly raise the POI, or is the sight picture going to be so different with the Wilson Combats vs. Heine -8's that there's no way to determine without actual real-world testing? I am also unsure how they were installed on that other thread as the rear blade notch width is only 0.124" vs. the 0.371" I came up with. Guess I'll have to ask for more clarification on that other thread. Appreciate comments on the height vs. POI question, though. Still leaning towards the Heine SlantPro 3-D's. Again, thanks for all the great input! Barberpole.86
    I have about 200 rounds out of my PT745 at this point and it has all been shot as load development with cast bullets. I'm not at the point of repetitive shooting yet but I would say that the 3Ds look like they are going match POA with POI very well. If you can wait until Tuesday, I can run some actual projections with the differences of the two sight heights. This would be better than guessing.

Links