Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

just how hard is it to change sights on a PT145 Mil. Pro?

I got my new sights today (HiViz fiber optic front and rear). I'm debating whether to try to install them myself or take the whole shebang to a gunsmith. I have a shop and I'm pretty handy with tools but I'm no gunsmith. Is this something I should let a pro do? I asked my gunsmith and he said he wasn't sure he could do it. That made me really think. I need to ask him what happens if he messes up my gun.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Re: just how hard is it to change sights on a PT145 Mil. Pro?

I did my firesights myself. It took 5 minutes or so. The factory sights came right off for me, some people have to heat up the slide with a hair dryer because of the lock tite they use. But I did not need to heat mine.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

worst case, heat the screw on the stock wit by touching it with a soldering iron for a few seconds. otherwise, they should come right out.
    G27 Gen 3 (Meh, it was a .40... therefore ... SNAPPY as fuck)
    PPS 9mm (Missed, Molested, and a-MAZING)
    3G MilPro111 (Polished, Pampered, and Punished)
    SA XD9sc (Heavily modified, FANTASTIC piece ... period)
    HiPoint C9 (Not bad for practically free; CLUNKY as FUCK though)

Don't take what I type too seriously: But ask yourself if I am directing it at you?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sounds like my gunsmith was trying to talk up his price.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie." - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

It is really quite simple. I replaced mine some time back. The heating of the set screw is rather important. You can round off an allen wrench pretty easy with how tight they are. They put something like loctite on them so it takes some to get them to turn. But really it is pretty simple. The set screw actually goes into a little well that is machined into the slide. So make sure you back the screw all the way or it will catch on the sides of that well when you tap out the old sights. Other than that it should come right out. Pretty simple really and I sure wouldn't pay anyone to do it.
    I would rather be over the hill
    Than under it!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

There is a good video on Youtube describing how to do it:

Craig
    Craig B

Springfield Range Officer
    XDM 9mm
    PT145 Mil Pro
    PT92
    Star Ultrastar
    Glock 17

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times

That video is over-simplified. My PT145 slide required heating with a hair dryer. Had to use the "business" end of the allen wrench to remove sights. Used cardboard instead of paper. Clean dovetails out very well before installing new sights.

Use a brass punch to drift in or out. Can't be careful enough. Shoot gun before final application of Loctite on rear sight (in case windage needs adjustment). Some would say "centered" is good enough on a 3" pistol.

Maybe.

Reputation is about what people see you do. Character is about what you do when no one is looking. (by me)

Member #
    Liked
    12283 times

I used a small pencil torch to break the loctite on mine. A couple seconds with the small flame was all it took. Since the HiViz sights are friction fit (at least the front is), it may require some fitting. If material needs to be removed, remove it from the sight, NOT THE SLIDE. This is easily accomplished by holding the sight tenon flat on a stone or fine file, and moving the sight back and forth. Test fit often. When you get the tenon to a point where it will go 1/3rd of the way into the dovetail, tap it the rest of the way in with a small hammer and a drift (making sure to apply pressure only to the tenon - not the sight itself). A small piece of cardboard held over the tenon will keep from getting any brass 'smudges' on the tenon. If you err and remove too much material, you can shim the base with a piece of feeler gauge. Just snip a piece so it just fits in the bottom of the dovetail, and slide the sight in over the top of it. I shimmed my rear fire sight because I didn't like the way the set screw kicked it up at an angle in the dovetail. A .04mm shim tightened that right up. My $.02
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times

Very good, Dbeard !

You don't need a smith but you need to take care of details. Just a little patience and common sense.
    Reputation is about what people see you do. Character is about what you do when no one is looking. (by me)

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10256 times

It's not hard. Just be sure to either use a padded vise, or wrap the slide in a towel before you clamp it down. And use Locktite blue on the threads when you tighten everything down.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links