Member #
    Liked
    81 times

Sight adjustment advice PT111

Couple of quick questions regarding my newish MilPro...

What all came in the box when purchased new? I took out my box today and only saw the nylon brush that came with the gun. I do remember the keys, which I have hidden in my car to keep my kids away from the Taurus lock system. Is/was there an owner's manual? I just can't remember what all came with the new gun. I do have a file cabinet where I've been putting some gun stuff, just can't get to it right now.

Attached is a pic from my range trip yesterday. 10 yrds, 50 shots. I found all holes, including 2 that just barely clipped the far left of the white of the target. This dirty bird target is 12" round, again all 50 shots @ 10 yards.

I can adjust for the up and down, just gotta train myself to put the top circle just above the bullseye. Almost all shots are left of center. Which way should I move the rear sight to get shots further right? How do the Heine sights move? Can't tell if an allen wrench is necessary (hence the question about what came in the box) or do you just start tapping the sight to the left? Or is it to the right? All 50 shots were done standing, not bench rested. I know, I know, the only way to get a real indication is to shoot from a bench resting position. But, even my wife and 13 yr old son shoot low and left with the gun as she is configured now.

Call me newb This is my carry gun as I wait on my crossbreed supertuck. I want it to be accurate. thanks agan taurusarmed guys...

Bitten by the gun bug..... bad

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

Re: Sight adjustment advice PT111

If that was the first range trip, NOT BAD! Heine sights can be a pain, but trigger control can also cause the low and left function too.

Yes you can loosen the rear sight and tap it in the correct location, of course they use lock tite, so heat from a hair dryer, or heat gun (carefully applied) will help with the loosening. Some say the key for the security lock is the correct size for the rear sight, but I did not have to loosen mine.

My PT111 came with a manual, but you can download one off the Taurus web site.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Move rear sight to right to move impact point to the right. Mine's over so that the edge of the sight lines up with the edge of the slide. I didn't need to use any heat on mine to loosen them, but probably safer to atleast warm it with a hairdryer than risk rounding out the hex socket. I'm think 1.5mm front and 2.0 mm rear but not sure. I never tried the security key.

Member #
    Liked
    5802 times

well did you look under the padding in the case the weapon came in for the manual?
    if not as stated its available on line.
    Not sure about the PT111 but does the front sight also move?
    if so then this can be used in conjunction with the rear sight to get them more in line with the slide! (this is for david)
    anyway, the groups show a lot of different problems but most are left, which is really not a surprise.
    I would say move the target into about 5 yards or even 3 yards and shoot, then you can tell better where your groups are actually at, also shoot the weapon and become accustomed to the sights, the grip and the trigger before fiddling with the sights.
    try slowing down as you fire and concentrate on squeezing the trigger and not tightening your grip as you fire.
    most of the shooting low is in my guess a combination of trigger pull, long triger pull of the weapon, closing the bottom fingers as you fire the weapon, and some sighting issues with the heinies is causing the up and down as you are getting a poor sight picture.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    81 times

Will do olfarhors..

As it stands, I feel like I'm aiming high and right of center. You're right about getting closer and determining where my groups are hitting. I'll try to sit and rest my gun on some sandbags to lessen movement.

Both sights appear to be dead center of the centerline of the gun. I did find a small allen wrench in one of my taurus key bags and it fit just perfectly into the screw in the rear sight. It was hella tight, but it let loose pretty quickly. After removing the screw completely, I find that I can't get the rear sight to budge at all. It's all good, as I've decided to get some stationary, bench-rest firing done to rule out my inexperienced shooting posture So, no fiddling with the sights yet.

Lastly, the keys supplied with taurus/rossi guns do NOT fit the screw on the Heine's, you'll have to find an allen wrench to remove the screws.

Bitten by the gun bug..... bad

Member #
    Liked
    5802 times

Jest, when /if you need to move the sights then loosen the screw and you may need to either heat the sights with a blow dryer, (i thought someone had mentioned this, but perhaps on another post) and you may need to take a small flat punch and hammer and tap the sights over a tad. some of them can be tight, mine was not a problem after loosening the screw.
    anyway, take your time and learn the weapon, then decide what to do.
    I think you down loaded the pistol chart before so refer to it!
    good to hear from you again!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by jestmaty

Both sights appear to be dead center of the centerline of the gun. I did find a small allen wrench in one of my taurus key bags and it fit just perfectly into the screw in the rear sight. It was hella tight, but it let loose pretty quickly. After removing the screw completely, I find that I can't get the rear sight to budge at all. It's all good, as I've decided to get some stationary, bench-rest firing done to rule out my inexperienced shooting posture So, no fiddling with the sights yet.
    Sights are not (at least they shouldn't be) loose in the dovetail. Once the allen screw is loose, one uses a brass drift punch and a small hammer to move the sights.

Lastly, the keys supplied with taurus/rossi guns do NOT fit the screw on the Heine's, you'll have to find an allen wrench to remove the screws.
    I don't remember anyone saying they did. Taurus supplies a 2.0mm allen wrench to fit the rear sight. The front sight requires a 1.5mm wrench, which is not supplied, on the premise that one normally doesn't adjust the front sight.

Member #
    Liked
    5802 times

I don't remember anyone saying they did. Taurus supplies a 2.0mm allen wrench to fit the rear sight. The front sight requires a 1.5mm wrench, which is not supplied, on the premise that one normally doesn't adjust the front sight.
    [/quote]
    I thought someone said that as well!
    i read it and didn't comment as it was incorrect to my knowledge!
    I doubt if the TOOL would be near strong enough to unscrew the sight base screw anyway!
    would probally just twist off in your hand.
    Different taurus have different tools as well, the 709 has a small screw driver to adjust the sights, of course the safety lock tool and i think a small allen wrench for something!
    A nice lil touch i guess but i have never used them!
    I really use a much,much better set of allen wrenches when i do anything to my pistols than the ones included in the pistol case.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk0031
    Move rear sight to right to move impact point to the right. Mine's over so that the edge of the sight lines up with the edge of the slide. I didn't need to use any heat on mine to loosen them, but probably safer to atleast warm it with a hairdryer than risk rounding out the hex socket. I'm think 1.5mm front and 2.0 mm rear but not sure. I never tried the security key.
    ditto...are these things manufactured crooked? My front site is practically centered...had to tap rear sight noticablly to the right of center, for gun to shoot straight........

I own 5 other pistols...all others shot to POA out of the box, with the sights centered....

Links