Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Duo Tone vs Stainless Steel

I have been hunting around and thinking it over for a while and I think I am gonna pull the trigger (pun intended ) and go buy a carry gun.

I just mailed my CHL off today so pretty soon it will be arriving. What I have settled on is for sure I want a .40 S&W...after looking at two gun shows the Mil Pro 140 is my choice.

When the 740 Slim is released I will probably for out some more cash for that one as well, but who knows when that will be.

I plan to go buy the Mil Pro 140 tommorrow if they have it in stock. I will call in the morning.

Right now I am seriously leaning towards the stainless model because my understanding is that it is much more durable. Over time I am sure the gun will get a bit hashed as it will be out and about with me.

Blued is out. No question. It looks cool but I envision it getting all scratched up and being really visible.

The only other question I have is about the duo tone. I have a duo tone 24/7 and the sides of it are shiny but I don't think they are stainless steel.
    For something that is going to live in a holster I thought I would ask if anyone has any input between the duo tone and the stainless...I am leaning stainless...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Duo Tone vs Stainless Steel

Stainless as you mention is much more durable, less maintenance is required (to keep it looking nice) and it also posseses a "rich" look. That's my 2 cents worth. Don't know if that helps you or not.
    45ACP - when you care enough to send the very best!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    905 times

I own a duo tone PT145. It is ss with a black finish over part of the ss so that imo it looks better and reduces the potential of glare on the slide in bright light.
    War is God's way of teaching American people geography. .... Ambrose Bierce

NRA & Texas State Rifle Association Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    6855 times

if you have a duotone then either the slide is stainless or the slide is blued.
    most all that i see are poly framed with stainless slides.
    I am sure stainless may be a bit more durable but in reality I don't know if you can get much more durable than a poly frame and a stainless slide?
    I have a duotone PT1911 and i can honestly say that to me this is the very best looking Taurus pistol out there!
    i have seen several duotone 24/7 around here lately and if they had been around when i bought my stainless 24/7c then i would have went for them everytime.
    just a nice looking pistol to me.
    of course on a stainless pistol like you speak of only the slide is stainless (like the duotone) the frame is poly!
    so its only the finish on the slide that will be different.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by cws_dallas
    I own a duo tone PT145. It is ss with a black finish over part of the ss so that imo it looks better and reduces the potential of glare on the slide in bright light.
    Is it really stainless? I have a 24/7 in duo tone and I have been wondering if it is really stainless or not.

Right by my ejection port I had a few brass fliers that lightly scored off the paint. Basically put, underneath the black it doesn't look like 'stainless' or steel.

Also in all the photos I have seen (comparing the mil pro 140 stainless to the duo tone) the stainless model looks a tad more 'dull'...when compared to the duo tone...

I would equate the difference to a 'chrome' color vs stainless...maybe I am wrong but it can't hurt to ask.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

I like the duo tone big time. I bought my 24/7 and the duo tone was definitely an eye catcher. It was my first pistol...

What I am concerned with is that with regular carry will the gun get 'beat up'.

Really though its not a matter of 'if' but rather 'how bad'...

Member #
    Liked
    6855 times

scored the paint???
    I have no idea of where we are going with this and perhaps someone else can add to this cause i am confused!
    perhaps a picture ot two?
    If the 24/7 has what is commonly called a "Tactical " finish then it may be black coated over a stainless slide.
    the only production 24/7 that i have seen with this finish was a 24/7 oss.
    but they may offer it in other 24/7 that i am not aware of.
    in any regard the slide is still stainless or blued steel!
    the duotone on my 1911 has certain areas that are blacked out, thats what is attractive to me! the top of the slide is dull grey to reduce glare, but it is stainless regardless of finish over it or dullness.
    My 24/7c are stainless steel and the slide are stainless but the frame is poly!
    My Pt1911 duotone is a stainless slide on a blued frame!
    the finish on the duotone is different than on the 24/7 that have a dull finish.
    but they are stainless.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000
    I like the duo tone big time. I bought my 24/7 and the duo tone was definitely an eye catcher. It was my first pistol...

What I am concerned with is that with regular carry will the gun get 'beat up'.

Really though its not a matter of 'if' but rather 'how bad'...
    I think some folks have totally unrealistic expectations about the finishes on their firearms. Every gun is going to show the effect of carrying and shooting eventually. I have some "safe queens" - notably my pristine condition Python - but any gun that I actually use has wear marks of some kind. That just comes with the usage of any tool, and my carry gun(s) are just that, tools.

There are aftermarket finishes that are much harder and resistant to "damage" than factory finishes, if one wants to spend the money. I'd rather spend it on reloading supplies, personally.

If you don't continually drop it in the dirt, put it in a dirt-filled holster or do something similar, your gun is not going to get "beat-up". If it does, you're not taking proper care of it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I figure that's why god made Duracoat. When the blackening on my duo-tone gets too beat looking, I'll just tape it off and give it a few blasts. No big deal.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nishnabotna
    I figure that's why god made Duracoat. When the blackening on my duo-tone gets too beat looking, I'll just tape it off and give it a few blasts. No big deal.
    Yup, and a couple of other coatings, as well. Just don't get it done in raspberry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links