Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Millenium pro trigger pull?

8K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  GreenWolf70 
#1 ·
Howdy Fellows, I am in the Market for a new Carry Gun, My SIG 229 is just too heavy and i do not trust my Kahr CW9, i am looking into the Millenium series of Pistols, i thought i would have hated them based on popular gossip, but last week i handled one at the Fun Store and i must say i were rather impressed with both the quality of the gun and the big surprise were the trigger pull, i thought i would have hated the trigger but it were rather nice, long but clean take up with a nice light strike at the end. Are yours like this or its just the one at the store that i handled? Are yours reliable? Accurate?

I would appreciate your opinion on the 9mm or .45 , THanks.

Ricey Brown

#3 ·
I have been carrying a 3rd gen PT 111 in various holsters for about 10 months. Love it. Relatively light weight. With a Crossbreed Super Tuck hardly notice it. Have found the gun very reliable after getting used to the Heine sights. IMHO it's a great carry gun.

#4 ·
I purchased a PT111 3rd Gen a week ago today. It was a toss-up between it and the Slim. I figured I could easily deal with the tad more thickness to get the higher capacity that I was looking for. The PT111 won out and has not disappointed me at all.
I cleaned it as soon as I got home, added a Hogue Handall Jr. to it and immediately went out back and ran 100 rounds thru it...no jams, no FTE, no FTFs, nada...just "bang" everytime I pulled the trigger. Yesterday, I put another 250 rounds thru it... this time with various style ammo. Same thing, it just goes "bang" without a any hiccups whatsoever.
I did notice that near the end of the last session, the gun was really beginning to smooth out and shoot even better.
The trigger is just as you stated and it ate everything I tossed in it.
Accurate as can be. The Straight 8 sights were right on target, but my poor, old-age eyes want something better.
I wanted a less-expensive, accurate, reliable, hi-cap, easy to conceal pistol.
The PT111 has, so far, delivered up to all my expectations and has pleasantly surprised me.
Great little pistol that is really fun to shoot and I have no regrets in buying it.
I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. ;D ;D

#6 ·
Ricey said:
Howdy Fellows, I am in the Market for a new Carry Gun, My SIG 229 is just too heavy and i do not trust my Kahr CW9, i am looking into the Millenium series of Pistols, i thought i would have hated them based on popular gossip, but last week i handled one at the Fun Store and i must say i were rather impressed with both the quality of the gun and the big surprise were the trigger pull, i thought i would have hated the trigger but it were rather nice, long but clean take up with a nice light strike at the end. Are yours like this or its just the one at the store that i handled? Are yours reliable? Accurate?

I would appreciate your opinion on the 9mm or .45 , THanks.

Ricey Brown
I'm curious. Why don't you trust the CW9? If it's giving you problems, I understand, but mine has been perfect through 400+ rounds of FMJ and various HP's. In fact, I sold my PF9, because the CW9 is almost the same size and only a bit heavier.

I say I understand, because my new PT745 went back to Taurus yesterday, after numerous failures to feed and a few mag drops over 262 rounds. When it gets back, fixed or not, I'm going to sell or trade it for another 40 or 45. It's the first pistol that has given me a problem in many years. In defense of Taurus, I will say that my 24/7 Pro c 45 has been perfect so far.

#7 ·
I carry a PT145 and couldn`t be happier. This gun is fairly light for a .45 and the trigger smooth. Personally, I would buy the 145, but you should buy what you are most comfortable with. This much I can tell you, the recoil is very easy to manage. Good luck with your purchase. :wave: :shooter:

#10 ·
PT111 Pro gen 3 for me. I love it.

There is a lot of uptake [length to move from start to finish] on the trigger (safer this way). I like to stage the trigger near the final rearward position of the pull....gives me a more accurate shot (less room for movement of the gun on uptake).

#11 ·
I have the PT140 Mil Pro and it is one of the nicest carry guns out there. Yes the take up on the trigger is long (normal) but let off is crisp and easy. Takes some getting use to but very accurate at 21 feet (about the distance I will shoot with a 3 inch barrel). I like the feel of the grip of the PT145 better (a little larger) but not available when I purchased mine.

Good Luck
Jim

#12 ·
Been carrying a Pt-111 MilPro in a CrossBreed Quik Clip for over a year now. I love it. Its reliable and hits what I shoot at and it carries nicely all day without any discomfort. Very nice feel to the trigger and fits my hand well without any add-ons.

#13 ·
Thanks for the Input guys, i handled the 111 Pro at the Funstore again yesterday, that trigger is nice and sweet. I like that it has a second strike capability, I aM LEANING TOWARD THE 9MM over the ,45 becausae i'm not sure that the short 3 inch barrel will do the .45 justice????

No dont get me wrong , my Kahr is light, and accurate , reliable etc. what i dont like about it is that it cannot be and Kahr doesnt recommend that you "slingshot" the slide when you load a new mag in it must be released with trhe slide stop if not it Jams on the forst round, not nice in an emergency, other than thart it conceals well and is accurate.

I feel the Taurus with the second strike capability and a larger grip area will carry better, and it certainly points better and is thinner than my beloved Glock 26.

Thanks Ricey,

#14 ·
I carry a PT145 Mil Pro (3rd gen), it's an awesome gun.

I have heard the concern about short barrels (the 9mm is just as short BTW) when people pick calibers and also have heard many folks advise using lighter ammo as well.

Based on my own research, Icame to the conclusion the 230 gr 45 ACP is king in the short barrels too. Just my own opinion but there are several great HP's (the lighter rounds are only good in +P in my opinion, in short barrels. That also goes against the conventional wisdom too.) But even 230 gr ball is better than anything else in any other caliber in short barrels.

Just sayin', it's not that cut and dried and I may be all wrong. Or just an unconventional kind of shooter.

Either way, they are GREAT guns.

#15 ·
I like big calibers, but 9mm allows more shooting, more shooting makes a better shooter. Unless you a LEO the odds of us ever using our weapons in anger are so minor, that as long as 9mm/38 special up is handy it will serve us well. But hey if you like to punch big holes in your paper go with 45, they are way easier to see on the range. I'll get one some time, but most likely in a 1911. The brass is way easier if you shoot at grass ranges like I do as well.

Back to PT111MP, I've had mine 2 years 4000+ rnds, no malfuctions since first couple 100 rnds that I really can't blame the gun because it was my first centerfire pistol.

#17 ·
Ricey said:
Thanks for the Input guys, i handled the 111 Pro at the Funstore again yesterday, that trigger is nice and sweet. I like that it has a second strike capability, I aM LEANING TOWARD THE 9MM over the ,45 becausae i'm not sure that the short 3 inch barrel will do the .45 justice????

No dont get me wrong , my Kahr is light, and accurate , reliable etc. what i dont like about it is that it cannot be and Kahr doesnt recommend that you "slingshot" the slide when you load a new mag in it must be released with trhe slide stop if not it Jams on the forst round, not nice in an emergency, other than thart it conceals well and is accurate.

I feel the Taurus with the second strike capability and a larger grip area will carry better, and it certainly points better and is thinner than my beloved Glock 26.

Thanks Ricey,
I think that recommendation to use the slide release to chamber the first round is principally during break in. I've racked the slide several times without thinking on my CW9, and it's never failed to load. I haven't tried on the CW45, but I only have about 200 rounds through it so far, all in one session at the range.

I think that when I get the PT745 back from Taurus, I'm going to trade it on a CW40, and have the complete set. That will give me the 24/7 Pro, CW40, and CW45 for winter carry, and the CW9 and CW40 for warm weather. That'll leave me the Sigs P6 and P228, my Sigma 9, my 995 carbine and my 45 year old Hi-Power service carry just for fun.

#18 ·
Davidk0031 said:
I like big calibers, but 9mm allows more shooting, more shooting makes a better shooter. Unless you a LEO the odds of us ever using our weapons in anger are so minor, that as long as 9mm/38 special up is handy it will serve us well. But hey if you like to punch big holes in your paper go with 45, they are way easier to see on the range. I'll get one some time, but most likely in a 1911. The brass is way easier if you shoot at grass ranges like I do as well.

Back to PT111MP, I've had mine 2 years 4000+ rnds, no malfuctions since first couple 100 rnds that I really can't blame the gun because it was my first centerfire pistol.
Good point on the cost of ammo. I'm not as sensitive to cost since I handload & cast 45 ACP and 38 special, factory ammo can get expensive. One reason I gave it up! LOL

#19 ·
Here's another happy PT145 owner. Still, the most REASONABLE thing to do is get Mil Pros in 9mm, .40 S&W and 45 ACP. :D

#21 ·
I have the PT145. Mill Pro 3rd Gen. Stainless.

Cons: mine won't shoot JHP ammo without jams.
- Taurus customer service really sucks. They are polite on the phone, but.......I don't want to get into it.

Plus: mine shoots FMJ ball ammo with zero malfunctions
+ 11 rounds of 45acp
+ smallest high capacity 45 I could find.
+ very light weight :D :D
+ great trigger pull SA and DA
+ fits my hand great
+ external safety. (most of my other compact guns don't have this)
+ Loaded with FMJ ball ammo, this is one of my favorite carry guns
:D :D

#22 ·
I had my PT145 out at the range today and it fed all of my 230 gr RN rounds flawlessly along with a mag full of 10 rounds of Federal HST 230 gr +P HP's (I fire those sparingly due to the cost and my cheap nature). I believe I'll give my PT1911 a rest and shoot production with the PT145 at my next USPSA match.

#24 ·
I have a PT145 and a PT140.. the 145 has been great..over 1000+ rounds and no problems.. the 140 on the other hand got sent back for issues.. i like my 145.. but ammo is scarce and a bit expensive..i had a PT 24/7 9mm and i miss that one, ammo was cheap, and it was very reliable..but hard to conceal..i'm waitin for my replacement 140 it should be here by this weekend...my opinion.. PT145 to carry

#25 ·
took my new PT140 out to the range today and ran 150 rounds through it. Ate it all up like it was hot butter. Not a single problem. FIrst 2 boxes were Federal 230gr FMJ, and the last box was CCI Blazer brass. The gun loved every bit of it.
No complaints here. This is going to be my primary carry when I get my CHL.

#26 ·
Ricey:

I have the PT138, and the trigger pull on it is as you described it.

It was good to read everyone's posts on the PT145, as I am seriously looking into the possibility of buying one.

Thanks to all for the helpful info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.