Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: How to use the sights ON PT111

I believe the sight picture shown in dcphoto's post is for Henie 2-dot aftermarket sights, which is showing the so-called 6-oclock hold. The description, however, is correct.....COVER the target with the front sight

I've had my PT111 for a year now, and after extensive research and a fair amount of range time, the sight picture for Taurus factory provided 2-dot (Henie straight sights is designed for and works best with the front sight covering the target, not at 6-oclock hold.

I was shooting low and left at first, but after break-in, and stance, grip, and trigger pull training and practice, I coulnd't be happier with the accuracy.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

I thought I explained this adequately, but apparently not.

The sight picture in the pic is correct FOR 25 YARDS!!!

If you are CLOSER than 25 yards you will have to aim higher to compensate for the barrel being below the sights. Thus, needing to completely cover the intended target (the amount you need to cover it will vary with distance) at distances closer than 25 yards. This phenomenon occurs because the bullet travels in an arc after leaving the barrel. However, at pistol shooting distances the bullet hardly has time to rise before striking the target, thus requiring a lower POA when shooting up close.

If you really want to experience this phenomenon, try shooting a rifle sighted in at 100+ yards at less than 25 yards. It will take some practice to hit on target, but it will clearly demonstrate why you need to aim higher at close distances.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'll clarify too...just for the record.

My early research turned up this diagram. If memory serves me correctly, it was provided by Taurus to show the recommended sight picture on the left...with the front sight covering the target. The diagram on the right shows the 6-oclock hold for comparison.

[img][/img]

Covering the target with the front sight at 10 yards, or 25 yards, results in dead-on accuracy....for me. Of course, that's after discounting the occasional flinch or other shooting flaw that sends one way off target. Ballistics, i.e. bullet trajectory, is not noticably different with the 15 yard differential since the same sight picture provides the same results.

If the 6-oclock hold works at 25 yards, then use it. After reading many posts on this subject here and elsewhere, it's my belief that the "recommended" sight picture, is just that...recommended. Each shooter will have to determine what works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by jmartin7
    After reading many posts on this subject here and elsewhere, it's my belief that the "recommended" sight picture, is just that...recommended. Each shooter will have to determine what works well.
    I think a lot of shooters either don't know (the newbies) or have forgotten (the not-so-newbies) that non-adjustable sights are generally bore-sighted at some particular distance. That may, or may not, result in a sight picture that makes POA equal to POI for any given pair of eyes. Adjustable sights enable the shooter to mechanically adjust them to make the POA and POI match. Non-adjustable sights - no matter what kind they are - require the shooter to adjust their sight picture to make the match.

Remember - no two shooters eyes are exactly alike, so what works for one, may well not work for another. And then again, it might. At best, any suggested sight picture IS a suggestion, not a guarantee of success.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hello everyone. I had to register just to respond to this thread. I recently had 2 PT111s to shoot. One was mine and one was a friend's. They were both purchased at the same store about 3 days apart. To do aimed shooting with mine at about 15 yards, you have to have the top of the rear sight even with the bottom of the front sight and cover the bulls eye with the dot. When I say bottom, I mean the bottom of the vertical portion. On my friend's gun you aim with the top of the rear sight even with the top of the front sight and cover the bulls eye. Both were with the same ammo and shot one right after the other. In my opinion, the sights on these guns are not checked or intended to be accurate. They just get you on the target. Once you figure out your own gun you should be able to make a bad guy's life miserable.

Member #
    Liked
    5250 times

Let's stop the bickering about sight placement.

Many a shooting instructor will tell you that the sight pictures and diagram examples are not exact. They cannot be. You're trying to show how to shoot in the 3rd dimension, but with pictures can only show things from a 1 dimension perspective, maybe two. That's all. So just about any sight picture example is going to be somewhat flawed and not perfect. We all can get the idea of how it should work.

If not then have a mentor or good shooting instructor show you personally what the two main shooting sighting pictures are and the pros and cons.

First off, use either use the cover the bulls eye method or the six o'clock hold for the front sight. Other sighting methods will not work better than those two.

Fixed sight guns are massed produced regardless of the brand. Companies try to zero the sights the best they can, but each gun is an entity onto itself. That means that no two examples are going to hit the same POA or POI.
    That's just reality.

All the factors that go into sighting are in the 6717.0 link and a lot of people are going right by the facts in that link. That includes POA or POA issues. Whether shooter induced, ammo related, or some other factor can cause point of aim or point of impact to shift or be different.

With fixed sighted guns there may be Kentucky wind age adjustments to make.
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=22828.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...sg1672#msg1672

Here are some blasts from the past on sights.
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2139.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2014.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1014.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=835.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2654.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=1144.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...24589#msg24589
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2379.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...1723#msg271723

Other factors that have to be considered as to what stance to use. The Weaver Stance or the Isosceles stance. That or one of the two stance derivatives. There are many modifications to both. There are other stances for advance skilled shooters.

Okay, know do you shoot thumbs up,thumbs straight out or thumbs down? Depends on the kind of gun make and model and also which method works for you individually.

How you grip the gun figures into this as well. Hand placement, finger pressure, using the first joint or the finger pad all play into this. Are they being done correctly?
    Trigger pressure and how the trigger is stroked are to added on to the list of things that need to be looked at.

Any one of these things can be the cause of being off target. Make the adjustment accordingly if needed.

Breath control is also an issue. Proper breathing and letting the breath go just right before the shot are imperative.

Okay,do the sights wobble a lot or a little when you take a sight picture and then fire? One more thing to look at.

If any of these factors are ignored or done the wrong way misses will happen and accuracy suffers.

So lets look at all the possibilities and make the necessary adjustments.

Check to make sure that it isn't us before we go and blame the gun or it's functional and none functional parts.
    Yes, it can be the gun that has faults. So do we.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Very helpful post. Thanks a lot.
    EDC:
    *Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm SS gen 3 w/ Williams FireSights
    *Crossbreed SuperTuck (cowhide, combat cut)
    *Crossbreed GunBelt (black, 3
    *Hornady Critical Defense JHP
    *S.O.G. Flash I TFSA-97 Knife-Tool
    *Streamlight Stylus Penlight
    *iPhone

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I want to thank you all for the good info. I will try some of these on my next trip to the range.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I bought a new pt 111, I like it so far but had a awful time sighting it in.
    It wants to shoot low and to the left. It is driving me nuts. anyone have any ideas.
    I will try some of the tricks mentioned here and see it that helps.
    I sold my Bersa Thunder 380 to buy this one for more power, and have about 500 rounds for the 380, I need to get rid of.

thanks
    mbuckley52
    Ft Worth

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by mbuckley52
    I bought a new pt 111, I like it so far but had a awful time sighting it in.
    It wants to shoot low and to the left. It is driving me nuts. anyone have any ideas.
    I will try some of the tricks mentioned here and see it that helps.
    I sold my Bersa Thunder 380 to buy this one for more power, and have about 500 rounds for the 380, I need to get rid of.

thanks
    mbuckley52
    Ft Worth
    Yea, read post 15. They are not "tricks"; they are practical answers to your problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links